Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Albion Next Generation Knigt, with pictures. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: My new Albion Next Generation Knigt, with pictures.         Reply with quote

A few days ago I recieved my Albion Next Generation Knight. I could go on and on about this sword, and would if I didn't have a dinner to get ready for. Patrick Kelly did a fantastic review of this sword, which says everything I could say, and more. It can be found here.

There is some rust/patina on the pommel and guard. The sword was in transit for 3 weeks, so it was to be expected. I could get rid of it, but I like the aged look on swords, and guards and pommels are bound to get some patina after while, and together with the lightbrown, or campaing-worn grip, I think it gives the sword a little bit extra.

I'm not a very good photographer, but here are a few pictures I just took. Enjoy. Happy

Attachment: 59.19 KB
AlbionKnight001.jpg

Attachment: 52.95 KB
AlbionKnight002.jpg

Attachment: 46.37 KB
AlbionKnight003.jpg

Attachment: 67.59 KB
AlbionKnight004.jpg

Attachment: 76.85 KB
AlbionKnight005.jpg

Attachment: 61.99 KB
AlbionKnight006.jpg

Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweetness Happy I had a hard time choosing between this one and the Squire. Elegant yet wickedly businesslike.
Joseph C.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking sword you have there.
Hosea 4:6a
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice!

Are you going to sacrafice that beach mat it's laying on? Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Very nice!

Are you going to sacrafice that beach mat it's laying on? Big Grin

I can get similair mats for 70-80 eurocents a piece. Big Grin

However, they are pretty rough, and will scratch up the blade's surface a lot faster then normal tatami.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: She's a beauty Thomas         Reply with quote

Congratulations Thomas! What a bebautiful sword. I know with Albion's quality and attention to detail, this one will bewith you for a long time. Enjoy!

Joel

P.S. Cool ! I didn't know there were eurocents!
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: She's a beauty Thomas         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Congratulations Thomas! What a bebautiful sword. I know with Albion's quality and attention to detail, this one will bewith you for a long time. Enjoy!

Joel

P.S. Cool ! I didn't know there were eurocents!

Well, some people still say euro-cents. I don't. I'm guessing that in the US you guys just say cents, not dollar-cents. But I thought it would clarify things a bit.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pictures. Lighting could be improved. (The feet in pic 1 are unforgiveable though. Laughing Out Loud)
Those are minor issues as this isn't about pictures, it's about the sword. In that sense, the pictures work really good.
The use of structured backgrounds enhances the size and dimensions of the swords, and works much better than a plain background IMHO. Just my 2 eurocents. Hehe.

I don't know if I should thank you for this, but those pictures have made me realize that I need a Next Gen Knight too. Worried I'll have to reshuffle my wishlist. Again. *sigh*
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Nice pictures. Lighting could be improved. (The feet in pic 1 are unforgiveable though. Laughing Out Loud)
Those are minor issues as this isn't about pictures, it's about the sword. In that sense, the pictures work really good.
The use of structured backgrounds enhances the size and dimensions of the swords, and works much better than a plain background IMHO. Just my 2 eurocents. Hehe.

I don't know if I should thank you for this, but those pictures have made me realize that I need a Next Gen Knight too. Worried I'll have to reshuffle my wishlist. Again. *sigh*

I prefer the structured background myself too. I've tried a plain white background once, the pictures didn't come out nice.

But like you said, this were just some shots to show the sword. I'm a good photographer yet, still learning all the 'how-too'. As for the feet.... is these were shots for say a review, then yeah, I'd be kicking myself. I didn't realize they were on the picture untill I saw them on the computer. Sad

Anyway, I can't blame you for wanting one too. It really is such a fantastic sword.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
...The use of structured backgrounds enhances the size and dimensions of the swords, and works much better than a plain background IMHO...

I prefer the structured background myself too. I've tried a plain white background once, the pictures didn't come out nice.

... As for the feet.... is these were shots for say a review, then yeah, I'd be kicking myself. I didn't realize they were on the picture untill I saw them on the computer. Sad

Congratulations! The sword looks like a beauty. I agree that the structured background is an enhancement to the pictures. As for the feet, it should be easy to crop those out of the picture using standard photo editing software that often comes with the computer.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
...The use of structured backgrounds enhances the size and dimensions of the swords, and works much better than a plain background IMHO...

... As for the feet.... is these were shots for say a review, then yeah, I'd be kicking myself. I didn't realize they were on the picture untill I saw them on the computer. Sad

Congratulations! The sword looks like a beauty. I agree that the structured background is an enhancement to the pictures. As for the feet, it should be easy to crop those out of the picture using standard photo editing software that often comes with the computer.

I could've cropped them out, no problem, but I was in a hurry that evening.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What's really annoying, is that I bought I new oiling-rag. I figured I got a new sword, I could use a new/extra rag. But man, what a low-quality rag. I've had to re-oil it a few times now, and I've only had it for 5 days. I'm going to have to completely clean the blade of all oil with some denatured alcohol this week.

The new rag left a lot of lint on the blade, and this morning I even noticed a few patches were it looked as it there wasn't any oil on the blade at all. I gave it a quick rundown with my seasoned rag, atleast now it has a proper coat.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
The new rag left a lot of lint on the blade, and this morning I even noticed a few patches were it looked as it there wasn't any oil on the blade at all. I gave it a quick rundown with my seasoned rag, atleast now it has a proper coat.

A good oil rag is hard to come by. I had one that was just about "seasoned" properly, and it got tossed mistakenly during a recent thorough cleaning. I was far from amused... That new one will break in eventually - use it for heavy cleaning before you wipe the sword down with the seasoned one, and it'll be right soon.

That Knight is just such a fun piece - went out and cut a little with it this morning to try to work out the storm aches out of my shoulder (Dennis is coming)... always a fun time. Playtime got cut short by impending rain, though... WTF?!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

use it for heavy cleaning before you wipe the sword down with the seasoned one, and it'll be right soon.

That Knight is just such a fun piece - went out and cut a little with it this morning to try to work out the storm aches out of my shoulder (Dennis is coming)... always a fun time. Playtime got cut short by impending rain, though... WTF?!

Now there's a though! Why didn't I think of that?? Thanks for advice Aaron!! Big Grin

And yeah, since I was 'forced' to handle it so much the last few days to clean it (Wink) my love for this sword has only grown more.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

That Knight is just such a fun piece - went out and cut a little with it this morning

Aaaaargh. Please stop it. I just don't have the cash right now.

Btw I hope everyone realizes that the Next Gen Baron is a mandatory purchase for those foolish enough to have bought a Knight. IMHO. Laughing Out Loud
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:

Btw I hope everyone realizes that the Next Gen Baron is a mandatory purchase for those foolish enough to have bought a Knight. IMHO. Laughing Out Loud

Big Grin Just did it again... Me - 30, Noodles - 0. Love my Knight.

Baron's 3rd on my list - after the Hersir and the Svante. But we're getting off topic here... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

That Knight is just such a fun piece - went out and cut a little with it this morning

Don't get me started. I'm already contemplating what's next. Gaddhjalt, Baron?? Or save up again for something custom. Been a while since I got a custom piece.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sword, Thomas. I have yet to see one in person, but every photo I've seen of the Knight ranks it higher and higher on my must-have list! You're right, Patrick's review of the Knight was very well-done. Is this your first Albion sword?
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Very nice sword, Thomas. I have yet to see one in person, but every photo I've seen of the Knight ranks it higher and higher on my must-have list! You're right, Patrick's review of the Knight was very well-done. Is this your first Albion sword?

Yes, the Knight is my first Albion, however I expect it won't be the last. Happy
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Edward Hitchens wrote:

Yes, the Knight is my first Albion, however I expect it won't be the last. Happy

It wouldn't be my first, but may be my next! Cool

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Albion Next Generation Knigt, with pictures.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic