Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A bit plaintive... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: A bit plaintive...         Reply with quote

Okay isn't ANYONE going to notice the new site... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Lee O'Hagan

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,
Pretty damn cool site now chap,
a very much improved layout and plenty more detailed,very impressive,
although i should add,your work is miles better than it looks in the photo's,
if it helps decorative link works in the side bar but not the botttom of the page Wink
overall,nice one, Cool
How goes the shop-premises,?
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any chance of being able to just buy the buckles and other decorative bits off of you or at least some info on where you get them? Some of them are very nice.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A great improvement over the old site, Russ!

A question: do you have documentable evidence of the belt construction used in the Trident Line FG Crusdader scabbard, meaning the two-pieces sewn together flesh (hide? - I forget my leather terms) sides out? Every other historical recreation I have seen that comes to mind has the belt system made of single leather straps that occasionally due to the design of the lacing show both sides of the leather.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great looking site! Looks like you've expanded your services too! Congrats and good luck!
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit plaintive...         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Ha, that's funny, I had just noticed it last night and thought, "Wow, I didn't realize Russ had updated his site!" Some very nice stuff in there, I like the direction you're taking your higher end scabbards!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great.

Please comment a little on the qualities of the wool lining (historicaly accurate plus real benefits.)

On the posted photo I could not tell if this was a true wool sock throughout the length of the scabbard core, or just a couple of glued in bands. Elaboration and options would be appreciated by some.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: * applause sign on *         Reply with quote

Ha !!! Well done, Mr. Ellis !

I've an Albion Mainz Gladius that needs a good home, by that I mean
scabbard of course. Is it possible to dicuss this via PM here at MyA. ?

You may remember our one transaction together, and I think .. ahem ..
if I recall correctly ... ahem ... cough ... I was something of a pest. B-)

I may still be, you know. But I like to think a nice pest. B-)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Russ,
Pretty damn cool site now chap,
a very much improved layout and plenty more detailed,very impressive,
although i should add,your work is miles better than it looks in the photo's,
if it helps decorative link works in the side bar but not the botttom of the page Wink
overall,nice one, Cool
How goes the shop-premises,?

Hey Lee,

Thanks so much for the hint about the links I'll see about fixing that tonight. I need to add some of those promised reviews to the reviews section anyway! I didn't think about it, I think I need to add some pictures of the new shop to I guess! It's all set up and turning out scabbards right now. In fact I've got eight works in progress at the moment!

Russ

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Any chance of being able to just buy the buckles and other decorative bits off of you or at least some info on where you get them? Some of them are very nice.

Hey Jason,

As I was telling someone else recently unfortunately buckles and decorative elements are the bane of my existence. For some reason finding reliable suppliers for those items is rather difficult. The ones I have pictured are mostly the ones I have on hand. I request that people tell me up front that they want a particular one at the time they make their order so that I can make sure I keep it for them and try to order another one. Sometimes it takes months for me to get a particular buckle and they are not cheap. Sad Having said all that if you want a particular one or ones let me know and I'll be happy to sell it to you at my cost (item cost plus shipping).

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
A great improvement over the old site, Russ!

A question: do you have documentable evidence of the belt construction used in the Trident Line FG Crusdader scabbard, meaning the two-pieces sewn together flesh (hide? - I forget my leather terms) sides out? Every other historical recreation I have seen that comes to mind has the belt system made of single leather straps that occasionally due to the design of the lacing show both sides of the leather.

Hey Jonathon,

That's an interesting question. To be honest in that respect I was just doing what I thought looked the most attractive. Period art and effigies that I've seen aren't very helpful in this regard and I haven't seen any that really throw any light on the subject one way or another as far as having both the finished sides out. If anyone has anything definitive I'd certainly love to hear it. Having said that, by default until I know anything for certain I'll probably continue to them as is, since in my opinion at least it does look a lot better. Of course if someone wants a rough side and a finished side I'd be happy to do that as well.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Great looking site! Looks like you've expanded your services too! Congrats and good luck!

Thanks Steve!

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: * applause sign on *         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Ha !!! Well done, Mr. Ellis !

I've an Albion Mainz Gladius that needs a good home, by that I mean
scabbard of course. Is it possible to dicuss this via PM here at MyA. ?

You may remember our one transaction together, and I think .. ahem ..
if I recall correctly ... ahem ... cough ... I was something of a pest. B-)

I may still be, you know. But I like to think a nice pest. B-)

Hey Matt,

I think I've had probably three customers that were pests (not bad for being in business about 5 years) and you weren't one of them. Happy Please feel free to shoot me an email at ramellis@earthlink.net

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: A bit plaintive...         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Ha, that's funny, I had just noticed it last night and thought, "Wow, I didn't realize Russ had updated his site!" Some very nice stuff in there, I like the direction you're taking your higher end scabbards!

Thanks Bill. I've got a smallsword scabbard in the works for the Trident Line that I think you are going to like!

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Looks great.

Please comment a little on the qualities of the wool lining (historicaly accurate plus real benefits.)

On the posted photo I could not tell if this was a true wool sock throughout the length of the scabbard core, or just a couple of glued in bands. Elaboration and options would be appreciated by some.

Sorry, I realized I hadn't answered this one...

It is my current understanding that typically some sort of lining was used in most scabbards. Unfortunately there are few surviving examples so it is hard to say definitively. Typically the liner would be wool or felt or I've even seen examples with what appears to be velvet lining. I chose to stick with wool for a couple of reasons. First wool is fairly readily available. Second natural wool that has not been washed but carded only has the added advantage of containing lanolin a natural protectant. I have tried the felt but to my surpise I discovered that the gun oil I use to protect my swords causes felt to leach dye onto your blade. This is nifty if you want a red or greenish tinged blade but not so wonderful otherwise. Fortunately I tried this on my own sword first! Your milage may vary on that. I happen to know from talking to Mr. Cashen that he never has this problem with his felt linings. I don't know why. <shrugs> Velvet may work well but I don't have any around, I expect that it's expensive and I've got the wool so... I've read some stuff recently that suggests that wool may have only been used in early period (think viking era) stuff. I'm am looking into this further.

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ, instead of the Nautilus and MaelStrom scabbard lines, I think you should have called them the Scylla and Charibdis lines. As potential buyers navigate past them, they can't help leaving some money behind with Scylla or really splurge with Charibdis. Perhaps get a testimonial from Odysseus or Circe?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Russ, instead of the Nautilus and MaelStrom scabbard lines, I think you should have called them the Scylla and Charibdis lines. As potential buyers navigate past them, they can't help leaving some money behind with Scylla or really splurge with Charibdis. Perhaps get a testimonial from Odysseus or Circe?

LOL

Thanks Roger that was a really nice thing to say. My prices had to go up a bit but I'm hopeful that people will realize that the quality is MUCH better then when I initially put out my prices all those years ago.

M. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Russ, nice site. I really like what you've done with it. And you're right, the quality of your work has gone up (at least from what I can see in the pictures). That's some nice stuff you've got there.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Hey Russ, nice site. I really like what you've done with it. And you're right, the quality of your work has gone up (at least from what I can see in the pictures). That's some nice stuff you've got there.

Thank you sir! Here's a pic that's not on the site... yet...

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's very nice Russ!

Your work is really coming along.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A bit plaintive...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: