Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Latest Additions to my collection         Reply with quote

I'll do full photoshoots at some point (which will end up in my collection gallery), but I thought I'd throw a couple of quick pics out there for people.

First is the Regent with blue grip, followed by the Mercenary with a Magenta grip.

They're both nice pieces and nice additions to the collection.

Attachment: 23.83 KB
Reg1.jpg

Attachment: 19.45 KB
Merc1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryson Cadle

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice. I sure do love the Pommel on the Regent.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blue grip really work with the Regent!!

Very nice additions indeed Chad.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed; that blue is spectacular. The magenta works nicely on the Merc as well. Congrats, Chad!

BTW, what are you using for the background on your pics?

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these, Chad!

More to drool over... That blue is pretty sweet, as is the Merc. Might have to combine the two someday for my own consumption.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Agreed; that blue is spectacular. The magenta works nicely on the Merc as well. Congrats, Chad!

BTW, what are you using for the background on your pics?

Thanks, everyone! Happy

The background is a sheet of off-white vinyl that cost a few bucks at a fabric store.

Happy

ChadA

Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics. Love the blue grip.
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the Regent with that blue grip! Makes it look ever cooler. I like the Merc. grip too, it's very nice and even. Any chance you've done any cutting with either of the pieces? I'd love to hear how they handle.

Great stuff!
-Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
I love the Regent with that blue grip! Makes it look ever cooler. I like the Merc. grip too, it's very nice and even. Any chance you've done any cutting with either of the pieces? I'd love to hear how they handle.

I've cut pool noodles with the Regent. It's a very fast sword. It moves easily through cuts, yet still has a lot of authority. Quite a sword. I'm sure it's no sharper than my other swords, but it feels more wicked or deadly.

For more info, Patrick's review of the Regent can be found here.

I only got the Mercenary Tuesday, and I haven't had a chance to cut with this one yet, though I have cut a little with a friend's Mercenary (which is why I bought myself one Happy). In dry handling, it's nice. It's changing my (mis)perceptions of Type XV swords a little bit. It's pretty lively and fast and has more authority in the cut and blade presence than I expected in this type. I'm looking forward to doing some cutting.

Happy

ChadA

James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both are really sweet. But I think the magenta grip on the mercenary is really sharp. Cool
Nate C.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking from my experience, the Merc cuts rather nicely although I've only cut light targets (a horde of invading cardboard boxes Big Grin ). It tracked fairly well although I noticed a pronounced down-curve to my cuts. This was no doubt due to my skill/edge alignment (first time cutting) and not the sword. One thing that really stood out to me is the blade's width at the guard (2"+ IIRC). I found it most impressive. I look forward to hearing Chad's impressions since he has more cutting experience than I. I may have more info soon... there was a rumor of invading plotter paper rolls Eek! Exclamation Laughing Out Loud Razz .

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is blue a standard option from Albion? I have not seen it offered on thier site, but I was thinking the Munich would be awesome in blue. Even though it is not, the original looks blue in that pic in the albums section, and since first seeing it there I have had blue in my mind. In fact the blue appearance is one the the things that makes that pic most striking.

Lance
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Is blue a standard option from Albion? I have not seen it offered on thier site, but I was thinking the Munich would be awesome in blue. Even though it is not, the original looks blue in that pic in the albums section, and since first seeing it there I have had blue in my mind. In fact the blue appearance is one the the things that makes that pic most striking.

No it isn't. The standard colors on Albion's site are available at no charge. Just about any other color, including blue, can be done as well, though there is a $25 (I think that's what it is) charge for custom colors. There are actually a few Albion swords in the photo albums that show blue grips, notably Steve Maly's Regent (which inspired me to get mine) and his Prince with a navy blue grip.

This is what Albion says:

Quote:
Grips are offered in black, red, oxblood, or dark brown or light brown (Campaign Worn), for the same price. Custom colors beyond that are available at an additional charge. Please specify grip color choice when ordering. Grip colors may vary slightly due to the authentic processes and natural materials used.

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Fri 08 Jul, 2005 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The standard colors on Albion's site are available at no charge. Just about any other color, including blue, can be done as well, though there is a $25 (I think that's what it is) charge for custom colors.

I'm pretty sure that's right, but can't find where I read that... or maybe I spoke with Mike about it at some point.

I've done some cutting with my Regent as well. It hits like a tank. It's downright rude. In comparison to the Ritter, Brescia, for example, on 2-liter water-filled bottles:

Ritter - smooth, clean "ring-spalsh"

Brescia - a nice, very authoritative, clean "tink-pop-splash" and the top falls away.

Regent - a rather brutal "PING-BAM-splash", still a decent cut, but it just hammers at the target. It shocked me the first time I cut with it - and still amazes me. The blade is so thick, with that hollow-ground diamond, it blows it's way through.

I don't know if that adds any clarity or not as to how it performs... it's really pretty awesome.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know when I ordered that Brescia I also kept playing with the Regent... I sure like the look and feel of that sword... NO must stay strong to order that messer... must stay strong...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a fun pic of the Regent, which shows a little of the hollow-grinding, and the shape of guard and grip.

The second one is a little less over-exposed than the one I posted above, and shows the grip color a little better.

Attachment: 22.75 KB
reg2.jpg

Attachment: 20.26 KB
reg1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Here's a fun pic of the Regent, which shows a little of the hollow-grinding, and the shape of guard and grip.

The second one is a little less over-exposed than the one I posted above, and shows the grip color a little better.

Oh sure... rub it in... what are you trying to do to me? Happy

Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only noticed now how the central line of the faceted grip is perfectly in line with the rib of the blade, and the center line of the pommel. It's does kind of details that make a sword stand out. Fantastic.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Oh sure... rub it in... what are you trying to do to me? Happy

I did some cutting with my Regent and Brescia the other day, for a little side-by-side longsword comparison, and let me tell you... Razz

You in pain yet, Russ? Big Grin

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
I only noticed now how the central line of the faceted grip is perfectly in line with the rib of the blade, and the center line of the pommel. It's does kind of details that make a sword stand out. Fantastic.

Chad's most recent couple of pics do give a neat perspective on the piece. I had an idea of how interesting this piece was before I had it in hand, but there are subtleties that you just don't appreciate until you physically inspect and handle it. The blade geometry is fascinating, as are the details Thomas points out here - everything just transitions beautifully to make such a slick, neat piece. It's the first thing you notice when you look at my collection - this piece is the one that stands out.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I did some cutting with my Regent and Brescia the other day, for a little side-by-side longsword comparison, and let me tell you... Razz

You in pain yet, Russ? Big Grin

Chad's most recent couple of pics do give a neat perspective on the piece. I had an idea of how interesting this piece was before I had it in hand, but there are subtleties that you just don't appreciate until you physically inspect and handle it. The blade geometry is fascinating, as are the details Thomas points out here - everything just transitions beautifully to make such a slick, neat piece. It's the first thing you notice when you look at my collection - this piece is the one that stands out.

Sorry son of a... shut up and stuff! Happy Did I mention that I really like this one? Yes, yes I did and yet there you go making me wonder if I should just you know sell off some other stuff from my collection so I can order one of these along with that big NG messer that is next on my list...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection
Page 1 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: