Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Turnshoes from Chivalry Bookshelf Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Turnshoes from Chivalry Bookshelf         Reply with quote

I recently ordered a couple types of footwear from Chivalry Bookshelf - the Medieval Low Boots and the Turnshoes. The low boots have been discussed elsewhere - and I can say they are as everyone else has mentioned - I like them, good quality. What hasn't been discussed are the turnshoes, and I will make comments about those...

I usually wear a size 10.5D. As only whole sizes are available, I odered an 11. They fit snugly. Leather is good quality 2-3 ounce supple leather with a thicker sole. Stitching is of a period nature - soles are stitched through the side of the piece. There is a small period-style spectacle buckle, which looks nice. I found the same slick soles as everyone has found with the low boots, though with some scuffing and wear, the slickness will disappear. These are nice, but not for foul-weather wear - the sides are low, and any moisture (or worse - gooey mud) will easily get inside. For the money, I find them to be worthwhile, though they will not last as long as the boots will. Also, they will not be able to be resoled and remain in a period style.

I ordered them using the links Nathan provided in the Support myArmoury thread - as easy as any other online order. In a couple of days, I got an email stating there was an issue with my credit card. I called them, and we resolved the issue quickly - I had transposed a couple of numbers, so this was my fault. The couple of folks I spoke with were quite helpful and pleasant. The package was already made up and labeled, and went out that day.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Turnshoes from Chivalry Bookshelf         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I usually wear a size 10.5D. As only whole sizes are available, I odered an 11. They fit snugly. .
How snugly? How's the length? I wear the same size as you, and was thinking of going with a pair of 11's. I can take a shoe that's a bit snug before breaking in, but length is the main thing. Nothing worse than a shoe that pinches your toes. Mad Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnshoes from Chivalry Bookshelf         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I can take a shoe that's a bit snug before breaking in, but length is the main thing. Nothing worse than a shoe that pinches your toes. Mad Happy

Shoes that are too short are more like WTF?! than Mad ...

The picture I included is pretty accurate as to where my toes wind up. I wore them for about 12 hours yesterday around the house (took a couple of breaks while welding... slag and turnshoes probably not a good combo). I was actually looking forward to putting them back on rather than go barefoot. After breaking them in a little, they started to hug my feet comfortably. There is enough room for a pair of hosen as long as they aren't oversized. The "elf shoe" point to the toes of these shoes do not box you in at all - I really like them. I'll bet they get more miles put on them as slippers than with a cotte and longsword.

The Medieval Low Boots are cut a little bigger, but a thicker (less forgiving) leather, for what that's worth.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny how these old style shoes are actually more comfortable that modern shoes. Laughing Out Loud

They might be less durable if put to hard use but as house shoes / slippers they are hard to beat.

Might be good to get a pair just for the comfyness and not just for those in period costume times.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jp Palmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess that is one of those couple types of footwear from Chivalry Bookshelf, I think it looks elegant and passionate, and even really comfortable to wear.

Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Funny how these old style shoes are actually more comfortable that modern shoes.

Turn-shoes will, if the leather is cut right, stretch a lot to accommodate your feet.
Meaning a new turn-shoe should be a little tight.
Modern shoes are sewn in a different way and in more layers which makes them very stiff, there is simple not enough give in them. So in modern times we torture our feet with premade shoes instead of wearing a fitting one.
My turn-shoes are my favourite footwear by the way. Laughing Out Loud

Turn-shoes are capable of handling foul weather. Just wear them with a pair of fitting pattens.
Which are also quite comfy by the way. Wink

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Turnshoes from Chivalry Bookshelf
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic