Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New theatrical piece: Need leads, Ideas Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Raab Rashi

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: New theatrical piece: Need leads, Ideas         Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I am fight choreographer for a new show being produced in San Deigo called "Chrisalys: Rapechild." We will be renting swords, but so far I haven't found the perfect design to go with the piece. I'm looking for blades that combine the grace of the Chinese wide broadsword with the power and authority of a hand-and-a-half broadsword. I looked up a number of falchions, but they are generally too heavy.

The piece is set on a magical battlefield, and does not conform to any one particular culture or time.

The swords need to be very durable as they will take quite a beating. Also, we are on a VERY limited budget. Any ideas? Any leads?

Thank you!

Raab
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raab,
Welcome to the forums. I've moved your post here to the Off-Topic Forum from the Features Talk Forum which is for "Discussion and feedback on articles, essays, reviews, contests, and other features of myArmoury.com."

Also, posting things in all-capital letters is viewed as shouting on the 'net. I've edited your title to make it a little more sedate.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw a production of Henry V once in San Francisco where everyone had a bokken rather than a metal weapon. The show had a limited budget, so they made it into a theme. You might not think so, but it actually worked for them.

If you choose to go that way, you might ask the UCSD chapter of Darkstar for some loaner weapons. There was a sword group affiliated with them that maintained a stockpile of shenai and other such implements of non-lethal fun. Your show sounds like the kind of project they might enjoy helping out with. Theater/sca geeks of the world unite, and all of that.

I'd offer to put in a word for you, but everyone I knew there left years ago. But as I remember, they were pretty decent people. Perhaps their membership has remained constant in that.

I don't know about that subtitle though. Pretty dismal sounding. Are you sure that won't put off potential ticket buyers?

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
I don't know about that subtitle though. Pretty dismal sounding. Are you sure that won't put off potential ticket buyers?

It's all about the art... just from the title, I'm thinking internal struggle, finding identity, self-worth... I may be totally off-base, but I was actually intrigued.

A small piece of info for the original thread - a lot of stage weapons and armour have been made from aluminum - much lighter. You might do a web search for aluminum stage weapons and see if anything shakes loose.

Wish I had some more input that was actually useful, Raab... best I can do right now is offer you my best wishes for a successful project!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raab,

I haven't purchased anything from here myself but a friend of mine recomended them and they look to have decent prices for some good looking stage weapons. Their hand-and-a-half and two-hand swords may suit you.
http://www.varmouries.com
http://www.varmouries.com/vweapons.html

Hope this helps... Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may get some good responses if you ask this question over in the Theatrical Fight forum at www.swordforum.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New theatrical piece: Need leads, Ideas
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic