Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jun 20: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
Very Good
48%
 48%  [ 17 ]
Good
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 35

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Jun 20: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Spotlight:
Oakeshott Type XIX Swords
An article by Alexi Goranov

Del Tin 2151 Alexandria Type XIX Sword

A hands-on review by Patrick Kelly & Russ Ellis

The Atlanta Blade Show 2005

A report by Patrick Kelly

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the articles about XIX's I love to get information about that sword type.

Here is a quibble about dimensions. In both articles, XIX.1, the "Alexandrian Arsenal Sword's" blade length is listed as 32 inches. I know Oakeshott gives it that length in Rcords of the Medieval Sword. However, Bjorn Hellqvist measured the sword a few years ago, and came up with a lenght of 34 inches - http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_alexandria.html -

On DT2151 - The grip length is now 9.25 inches long. Del Tin has apparently lengthened the grip - a good thing. I was seriously considering buying this sword a few years ago. I thought its grip looked awfully short for a long sword and was told it was about 4.5 inches long. While the blade was substantially longer and heavier than the original "Alexandrian Sword", the hilt was a fairly accurate reflection. The only way you could hold it two handed was to put your right index finger in the ring and palm the pommel with your left hand. I passed on buying the DT2151. The 9.25 inch grip makes it more attractive, but I'm much more interested in seeing how Albion's upcoming singlehanded and bastard XIX's turn out.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Here is a quibble about dimensions. In both articles, XIX.1, the "Alexandrian Arsenal Sword's" blade length is listed as 32 inches. I know Oakeshott gives it that length in Rcords of the Medieval Sword. However, Bjorn Hellqvist measured the sword a few years ago, and came up with a lenght of 34 inches - http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_alexandria.html -

Thanks, Roger. I think we'll go with Björn's measurement as I know he's handled the sword in recent years.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The orginal Alexandria sword is one of my favorites. However, one of its main features is its remarkably low weight, wich the Del TIn lacks completely...
I'm looking forward to seeing the Albion Condotterie Big Grin

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Armart S34 is a fairly faithful version of the Alexandria sword. The S34 wasorigianlly a custom sword that I commisioned from them. Armart didn't think they could replicate the weight and blade thickness, so we ended up with a sword that was about 1/2 pound heavier with a blade thickness starting at around .250 inches. I also had them put a big cross formee' on the pommel, which I now regret, as you would almost never see something that flashy on a medieval pommel. It's a very nice sword, but because of Armart's completion problems, you would do much better to wait for the Condottiere to come out - not a replica of the Alexandrian sword, but certainly a close relative.

Attachment: 20.2 KB
armart hilt.jpg
Armart S34
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: XIX-Feature: Informations on XIX.6         Reply with quote

Hi,

this sword is really interesting.
Has anybody some more informations on this sword from the the Wallace Collection, London (A.478)?
And perhaps a large high res scan?

Thanks,
Thomas
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: XIX-Feature: Informations on XIX.6         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
this sword is really interesting.
Has anybody some more informations on this sword from the the Wallace Collection, London (A.478)?
And perhaps a large high res scan?

It's published in the Wallace Collection Catalogs. I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jun 20: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic