Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My toy (a work in progress) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: My toy (a work in progress)         Reply with quote

...Well, it will be, once I finish it. Laughing Out Loud

It's based loosely off the Dresden found here; I saw that, and it inspired me to challenge myself...conveniently on my breaks at work (As thrilling as welding and constantly grinding bumpers is, it just doesn't quite "cut" it *groan*)

The blade's a Hanwei, the handle itself is the stock hanwei; the pommel is a triplette creation....Needless to say, I havn't figured those parts out yet! This would be my 9th guard attempt. I'll post the older ones later, along with dev pics of this one...and the all so important "builders rant of doom!" Razz

*must...finish...ringage...*

Last edited by Mat Billings on Thu 09 Jun, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're referencing this piece, I presume:

Looks like a pretty neat project. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out and get your impressions on how it handles.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the one. Wink
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should say it's loosely based; I'm pretty fond of "free expression."

Anyway, all giddiness aside...

It was cut and shaped by hand with an angle grinder, and many 1/4", 1/8" and 1/16" grinding disks, a die grinder, and a lot of hand sanding. After about three days, I had it to this state...seeing as how I couldn't see myself using the practical hanwei guard ever again, it was sacrificed unto my cause. I have made my own quillon blocks in the past, but I decided to take a shortcut this time and just "borrow it." (yeah, that's it..."Borrow.")

A part breakdown.

While there isn't a noticeable difference to the above few, this one actually has some of the edges cleaned up.

Once I had that completed, I hit the sides with an 80 grit sanding disk, to remove the outer layer. Shortly hereafter, I gave it a light sanding by hand. It's pretty obvious which is which.

Both parts sanded.

This one shows the enlargement process, and while not one of the best methods for an accurate repro, it was actually pretty effective. I enlarged the image until it matched up with the blade more or less, and traced out the frame, then made a pattern for the cutting stage. Fun.

Having the parts completed to that stage, I then tack welded them together. If you look hard enough, you can see where it grounded out on the table.

The polished version came shortly after. Once I had the frame completed, I began work on the rings. I knew they were going to be a pain (especially at my current ability levels; minimal; I've been welding for a year and a bit, plus about 7 months at trade school learning that fact.), so I figured the easiest route was to break them down into pieces. These parts, while wider than the one in the reference drawing, are the start of the two lower rings. Now two...I know the original has one, but I've opted for a symmetrical guard, for balancing reasons; it'll handle equally well in both hands without throwing the lateral balance out.

Cut to size; I have to taper the outer most parts so the joints will match up with the frame. The outer ring will remain wide, to offer more hand protection (simply put, I haven't quite the "moving the hand out of the way" down yet...and if you've ever gotten a blood blister on the tip of your finger...it isn't fun.)...The black scribble represents the ring taper. Happy

That's about where I am to date. Still a lot of work to go, but I'm open to more suggestions and comments! Big Grin

Oh, for sheer amusement; this was the first guard I ever made....stick welded, obviously built solly for function. It defines "gehto"...heck, I believe it went soaring across the grinding room at the college when it caught an edge (the joys of learning...this is what not to do!).

Last edited by Mat Billings on Thu 09 Jun, 2005 3:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey! These in-progress reports are awesome. I love this stuff.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's why I go to a lot of the message boards; I love seeing how things are made; gets rid of some of the guesswork. Big Grin

Steady progress. The ring in front was just sanded to take the mill slag and welds off.
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the pommel, it looks like a little piece of 5/8" plate with seven spins of a drill-press and a little quality time with a plasma-cutter. Wink

Aren't "break-time" projects fun? Laughing Out Loud
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Plasma cutters rule; it's the lack of a tap set that gets me *must acquire die and tap set* Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, the guard itself has made steady progress; it's been long going, but it's ALMOST done...and I'll be glad when it is, I mean, without taking breaks at work, it's almost doubled the arm pain (doesn't help that I work with guys twice my size, heh Razz )

Ringage welded.

Welds ground.

(Not pictured: guard polishinated to a more consistant finish)
Bent stock for upper ringage.

Upper ringage.
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. That is really nice Big Grin
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive! I really like the step by step posting.... It's pretty cool watching something take shape.
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most impressive. I take it you're using a die grinder to get in there?
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David R. Glier wrote:
Most impressive. I take it you're using a die grinder to get in there?

Yup, but only for the joints; the bars are hand sanded. And a lot of spatter block...that stuff is a godsend. Big Grin

Of course, the downside with a die grinder is that unless you have a really small carbide bit (which I don't), you aren't able to get into the tighter areas, and also you have to be careful about gouging chunks out of the metal. I discovered VERRRY quickly to use one with a rounded tip, as opposed to a flat tip, as the flat tip had a habbit of grabbing and gouging if it was held at the wrong angle. Right now, I'm in the process of cleaning the joints and whatnot up, but I'll try and get some newer (bigger) pics up in the near future, which by then, hopefully it'll have a better finish if I apply myself. Laughing Out Loud Wink

Mat Billings

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm...dial up users will hate me for this...sorry about the flash; I probably should have taken it under regular daylight; you can see the areas that still need work. They're kinda big, so yeah; they're linked. Eek!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/mb_welder/big001.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/mb_welder/big002.jpg

The balance point
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/mb_welder/big003.jpg
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For whatever insane reasoning, I've decided to age it using the method described here
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_antique.html

the early beginnings, after a second dousing; from what I saw from the first dousing, the idea is to give it some distinguishing characteristics; it's surprising how fast it the acid reacted to the surface of the metal; fun part's going to be cleaning the rust off. Eek! Everything was hit but the tang, for obvious reasons.

...clearly, the stainless steel handle had to go. Does anybody have any advice on how to make a wooden handle? Laughing Out Loud

Mat Billings

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets play a game; "find the stainless part " Laughing Out Loud

After cleaning; finally done Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My toy (a work in progress)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic