Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Hey gents. A lot of your ideas for movies might (as Roger pointed out) be better off as an HBO mini-series. Maybe an example would be the film about Robert the Bruce. Remember 'Band of Brothers?' Too much went on in the lives of those men to cram it all in a mere 140 minutes.

You guys ever heard of Renaissance Magazine? I subscribe to it. They have lots of reviews of period films. Not just that, but it's overall an outstanding publication. www.renaissancemagazine.com

Ted
I'm working on an inde film about Alfred the Great as we speak :)
Allen Johnson wrote:
I'm working on an inde film about Alfred the Great as we speak :)

There was a film on him starring David Hemmings and Michael York done some 30 years ago. It wasn't too horrid, some of the stuff was pretty decent actually, but the over-all effect was rather "the sum of the parts is better than the whole". Alfred certainly deserves a better treatment in film, so good luck on this venture!

Cheers,

Gordon
Gordon Frye wrote:
I would love to see something based upon the George Macdonald Fraser book "The Steele Bonnets", on life on the Scots-English Borders in the 16th Century. Basically you take something like "Serpico", "The Godfather" or "The Soprano's", rename the the characters to "Riding Names" like Graham, Scott, Elliot, Armstrong etc., give them swords, spears, wheellocks and horses instead of shotguns, auto-pistols and automobiles, and use torches rather than gasoline for your arson jobs. And no cops to interfere with the fun, but international conflict as a side-effect and cause.

Oooo, ooo, ooo, instead of 'Turf Wars', you could call them 'Peat Wars'..... ;)
Matthew Kelty wrote:

Hmmm.... I like it! That, or a remake of "Lonesome Dove", about a buch of Scotts (or Elliots & Armstrongs) who try to take a herd of cattle that they stole from the English, North to help civilize the Highlands. It could be called "Lonesome Grouse"...

Gordon
Hell At the Breech
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...p;n=507846

riveting and chilling...you may understand what I mean when I say that the Border Rievers didn't die out, they just relocated to the Southeastern U.S.

and

Unto This Hour
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...p;n=507846

much, much better, IMHO, than The Killer Angels, which is widely regarded as the best Civil War novel...
Like Edward, I'd like to see a good early HYW film based on Crecy and Poitiers, ending with the captue of King Jean of course!

The Black Prince shouls be a fasciating character if done right. You'd need a kid playin Edward of Woodstock in Crecy, but a dashing young man at Poiters.

Hmmm... tough casting call. You could probably go a little older at Poitiers (for the tough as nails warrior look), maybe 30 ish, but no older.

A good 1066 flick would also rocketh.

Penman's "The Sunne in Splendour" would make a good series of films or a good high quality miniseries.
Gordon Frye wrote:
Matthew Kelty wrote:

Hmmm.... I like it! That, or a remake of "Lonesome Dove", about a buch of Scotts (or Elliots & Armstrongs) who try to take a herd of cattle that they stole from the English, North to help civilize the Highlands. It could be called "Lonesome Grouse"...

Gordon

Or... how about yet another remake of Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars set on the Borders, with two Border Clans (one English, the other Scottish) competing for control of a lucrative trade/cattle route through the Cheviot hills, with a mysterious stranger wieldling an "Irish-hilt" broadsword coming between them.... or has that one been done to death?
David Wilson wrote:

Or... how about yet another remake of Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars set on the Borders, with two Border Clans (one English, the other Scottish) competing for control of a lucrative trade/cattle route through the Cheviot hills, with a mysterious stranger wieldling an "Irish-hilt" broadsword coming between them.... or has that one been done to death?

I like that one! Did you catch "Last Man Standing" (I think that was the name) with Bruce Willis? Fist Full of Dollars set in a Texas Border town during Prohibition (of liquor, that is). Same story... but it's always a good one. Sort of like a Greek Tragedy, you know exactly what's going to happen, but it's cool to see how this production does it. Navy Colts, "Irish Hilt Broadsword", M1911's... all very cool stuff to watch used well!

Cheers,

Gordon
I'd just like to point out that David Gemmel's Legend would indeed be perfect for a big budget Hollywood production. They wouldn't even need to change anything to make it a major summer blockbuster in the vein of Gladiator. It's one of the few works likely to survive Hollywood without being mangled beyond all recognition. It's as if it was written with a movie adaptation in mind.

That... and it's a mighty fine story, to boot.

"You talk too much."

The trouble, of course, is finding someone worthy to play Druss.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: