Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Assualt vs windmill defence? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Assualt vs windmill defence?         Reply with quote

OK, I'm facing a guy who's normal defence is a willmill stroke with a single sword. (Katana actually.)

Now, He was better at it today, since as I fell into my stance the first time I pulled a muscle, and was mostly hopping on one foot, but I'm still interisted in what others have to suggest.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What's your specific question?

This might be a better place to ask a question regarding technique: http://www.thearma.org/

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George:

I assume that by a "windmill strike" you mean continuous striking and following through, a movement in which the sword of you opponent moves like a lying "8".

I'd either move in with a steep right Oberhau the moment he's coming from my left side, giving me the opportunity to use "duplieren" or "mutieren",

or I would start in the Ochs or Pflug and move in point-first, trying to catch his blade with my strong while stabbing him.

Just my 2 cents.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

or, simlply, block, grab his hand and kill him. Works like a charm against all things single sword.
"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Chad Sonderberg

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One word, Krumpau.

Start in a basic stance with your sword at the same shoulder (Vom Tag) that he will swing from first. When he begins his swing, step out on your sword's side, and stike straight down (Oberhau) onto his hands. This will give you the added benefit of displacing his attack in the same blow.

Teach him a lesson in one move. Next time he will think twice about using cheap tactics. True Western Martial Artists will always win over a fighter using "modern" sword techniques.

A.C.S.

Lebend mit Ehre, Sterben Sie mit Dignität.
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this a historically constructed katana he is using? If it is he's just asking for trouble because a katana is about the worst sword to fight like that with. Historic katanas don't have the flexibility that European swords do, they're made for straight cutting. If he hits the side of the blade against something that doesn't give that could cause some major injuries to himself and the person he is sparring with.

Alex Ren
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh, the Moulinet, and it's ever popular bastard cousin, the "Beastmaster" (moulinet holding the hilt upside down, pommel near thumb).

The way I've dealt with these is a simple strike right down the middle line.

Since your opponent is fanning his blade around both sides of his body , (I assume), the apex (their hand(s)) is usually right in front of them, and is pretty static. It doesn't move a whole lot, maybe a foot side to side and six inches up or down, and will be there whenever you strike in the cycle.

Additionally, when someone is doing the full moulinet, their blade is out of harm's way 50% of the time. Unless they are very good about changing up their speed on you, most people have a single rate they use, and it only takes about 3 revolutions before you can spot the timing, then *WHAM*.

Basically, you time it to strike just as they've past "level", giving you almost 3/4 of the "time" they use to strike and recover before their blade is back into a dangerous position.

A simple vertical cut can target the neck, collarbone, torso, and hand(s), and your willingness to close in will determine where you hit in that line. As you strike down, once you reach the end of your effective stroke (tip passing the lower belly of opponent) pivot your wrist, and pull your pommel back up.

For a two handed sword, it's simple, strike, and at the end of the effective stroke, let the momentum carry the tip further down, and pull your pommel up. This puts you back into a defensive ward (High ward, Iron Door, Hanging Point, etc.)

For a Single handed sword, the best way I can help you visualize it is to imagine you are a marionette, with the string on the back of your sword hand. Deliver your stroke, and as you pass the point of your target (you've either hit or missed at this point), let the momentum carry the tip down, but now transfer the momentum to your wrist, pivot out, and imagine that string being pulled through your forehead, from back of your hand, up and back, into the High ward.

Essentially, time the moulinet, strike down the middle, you're bound to hit something, and recover to a defensive ward in case you don't.

Good luck,
Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Assualt vs windmill defence?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic