Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens         Reply with quote

For you folks only, a sneak peek at the concept artwork by Peter of the next 6 swords in our new line-up.

The Prince (XVI) and the XVIIIa are $950 (intro price of $850), the rest are all at $750 (intro price of $650).

The XVIIIa is hollowground.

Intro prices are good until mid-December. We are trying to be conservative on the release dates, though we hope to have them out a lot sooner than that.

Sub-pages and draft specs will be available in the next couple of days.

(new link added 11-28-03)
http://albionarmorers.com/swords/albion/nextgen.htm

I just wanted to give you a first peek at this not-yet-public page and see what you thought.

Best,

Howy
Albion

Attachment: 6.2 KB
smTYPXVIIIA.jpg

Last edited by Howard Waddell on Fri 28 Nov, 2003 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what you will do with those designs. Considering your new Vikings, I expect the new medieval designs will be nothing short of stunning.
My sword site
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow!

I really, really like some of these bad boys, and all of them slated for June release.

Especially the XVI and XVIIIa.

I know its hardly fair to ask since these are at concept stage, but is there any idea what their personality is expected to be? Meaurements?

...finally reduced my excitement enough to read the note about subpages with those details soon. Surprised Surprised

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 24 Nov, 2003 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the XVIIIa based on the one in Records on page 192?

Also is it a close relation to the civilian sword that was sold through Albion a year or so ago?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Um ow. Jeez Howie... Those are absolutely gorgeous. It's enough to make a guy rethink his collecting goals a little... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the XVIIIa (favourite blade type combined with my favourite pommel? Not a chance to let this pass). I better start saving up today.
James Owen

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope the Aussie dollar can only hold out till then, I'm rather partial to the type xviiia
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Is the XVIIIa .... a close relation to the civilian sword that was sold through Albion a year or so ago?

Hi Joe,

This is pure speculation on my part but I think any resemblance is due to the overall blade profile, guard and pommel. The blade on the Civilian has diamond cross section and I believe Howy said the new one will be hollow ground. I'm going to guess and predict the XVIIIa will be a broader blade and thicker through the spine than the Civilian, more of a military sword than a civilian one.

Of course, I could be completely off base with this (normal operating condition for me).

Harlan
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harlan Hastings wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Is the XVIIIa .... a close relation to the civilian sword that was sold through Albion a year or so ago?

Hi Joe,

This is pure speculation on my part but I think any resemblance is due to the overall blade profile, guard and pommel. The blade on the Civilian has diamond cross section and I believe Howy said the new one will be hollow ground. I'm going to guess and predict the XVIIIa will be a broader blade and thicker through the spine than the Civilian, more of a military sword than a civilian one.

Of course, I could be completely off base with this (normal operating condition for me).

Harlan

Harlan, This time you are totally correct! Big Grin
The new XVIIIa design is partly inspired from the same sword as the one you own, but made into a larger weapon with a different blade (compared both to the riginal and your sword). All three (the 15th C original, the sword of Harlan and the new XVIIIa) will be somewhat alike when seen from a distance, but they will all be very different swords when handeled or compared side by side. First of, their size are different from each other, but also weight, intended use and character in handling.

I like the visual effect of the combination of this pommel and cross and think they would be nice together with a stout hollow ground blade. I made a sword with a blade of similar size and style for this years Knife Maker Show in Solingen. I learned a few things about the possibilities with hollow grinding when making this blade. Those ideas are incorporated in this new design. The sword Harlan owns is very light: its almost a pure single hander, but with a longish grip.
The Albion XVIIIa will be a pretty large hand and a half sword that will benefit from two handed use. My guesstimate is that it will end up weighing around 1.3 kilos. Please note: this is very approximate at this stage.
Weight does not say everything about the feel of this sword, though. (this is true for most swords, by the way) The sword I made for the Solingen Show came out to be very agile with a nice point control. This is the goal for this design: a quick, responsive and efficient cutter with a forward pivot point placed close to the point. A hollow ground blade can have a thick and stiff spine and still be relatively light for its size. This is an important aspect of this design.
Total length will be around 118 cm, blade length around 93 cm and blade width at base around 5 cm.

Righ now the blade is outlined and awaiting its turn to be programmed and test run. As soon as I get to try out the blade for balance and handlig, I will know more about final weight and can start working on the original pommel and cross.

We are working to put together some presentation of these new conceptual drawings. The material will be available in the next few days on Albion´s page.

Hope this information has been of some help.
Thanks
Peter
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Is the XVIIIa based on the one in Records on page 192?

Also is it a close relation to the civilian sword that was sold through Albion a year or so ago?

Yes,
That is correct. The sword from the Boden See that is now in the Landesmuseum in Zürich was the inspiration for the civilian sword that Harlan now owns. Please se my post above for further details. Big Grin
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek!
Those XII and XIIIA swords are stunning!
I am practically drooling in anticipation.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scrumptious. I like them all, but the XVI's appeal to me the most.

Is there any chance of Peter and Albion doing a XIX?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am so trying to resist temptation and not doing very well. Guess I need to check into the terms for reserving one of these.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Scrumptious. I like them all, but the XVI's appeal to me the most.

Is there any chance of Peter and Albion doing a XIX?

I think very much so, yes. Big Grin
I have already made preliminary designs for two type XIX blades. It is just a question of timing, planning and resources when these can be made available.
The first blade is a long and slim one that could be used for either early developed hilts or some more basic 15th C type. Some single finger ring type or an italian/spanish double finger ring weapon, perhaps?
The second blade is wider and beefier. It can be mounted on early 16th C hand and a half swords or some 14th-15th C long bladed cruciform style sword. Again a war sword with a single finger ring seems like an interesting project. I saw two swords in Italy that were nice examples if the type. Both were raher big hand and a half, or even war sword sized. One had a wheel pommel and a high rivet block the other had a faceted pommel that was pretty unusual with some thin bronze sheet layered between thin iron making up a rather substantial rivet block. I do not think any of these will be subject for museum line versions, but they might well be used as inspiration and worked into some design incorporating some of their character and details.
Again, there is no knowing today when these might be available. It could be a year or two before we reach those blade desings. Maybe more?

Last time I visited Albion I went through some 16 different blade designs wtih Steve, who is doing his magic converting my ideas and drawings into programming guiding the mill. Beside these first 16 blades there are many others as well waiting their turn. God willing, we will see a majority of the Oakeshott types represented with some variations to go as well. But this is a project that spans years...Patience is a difficult and not so entertaining skill to train, but it helps knowing that there are pretty exiting things just waiting to happen in a not too distant future.

Thanks for all positive words, guys! It is very nice to get that kind of feedback.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
[

I think very much so, yes. Big Grin
I have already made preliminary designs for two type XIX blades. It is just a question of timing, planning and resources when these can be made available.

If you and Albion make a XIX, especially with a finger ring, I will be the first person to place an order for it.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I now have the XVIIIa #1 reserved.

So get in line! Big Grin

I'm a bit excited about the whole thing at the moment!

BTW for anybody interested, the terms to reserve one a pretty easy to live with.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Tue 25 Nov, 2003 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Johnnson,

Very nice looking! Count me in for a XIIa. If I had more money I'd also pick up the XIIIa and/or XVI.

I understand you are planning some different hilts for the NG Vikings -- may I ask if you are considering a discoid (or wheel?) pommel with a straight cross for the Clontarf blade? That would be a classic early-medieval Type X.

Is there any thought to producing a falchion? There seems to be a void of that style outside the low-end production grade -- ie MRL. I think a NG Falchion would fill a need at the higher end of the spectrum. I've seen some of your sketches for falchions posted on this board (or was it SFI?) and there was one I particularly remember -- it had a type-I pommel, nearly straight blade, and a straight cross that was turned down in front to protect the knuckles and turned slightly up in back.

Regards,
Brian Millican
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:

Is there any thought to producing a falchion? There seems to be a void of that style outside the low-end production grade -- ie MRL. Brian Millican

Hi Brian
The Arms and Armour Medici Falchion is quite nice, and not exactly low-end.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/2000/catalog/item158.html
Geoff
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Mr. Johnnson,

Very nice looking! Count me in for a XIIa. If I had more money I'd also pick up the XIIIa and/or XVI.

I understand you are planning some different hilts for the NG Vikings -- may I ask if you are considering a discoid (or wheel?) pommel with a straight cross for the Clontarf blade? That would be a classic early-medieval Type X.

Is there any thought to producing a falchion? There seems to be a void of that style outside the low-end production grade -- ie MRL. I think a NG Falchion would fill a need at the higher end of the spectrum. I've seen some of your sketches for falchions posted on this board (or was it SFI?) and there was one I particularly remember -- it had a type-I pommel, nearly straight blade, and a straight cross that was turned down in front to protect the knuckles and turned slightly up in back.

Regards,
Brian Millican

Mr Millican,
I´m happy you like the XIIa! I think that has the potential become a very striking sword (excuse pun). I will try my best to make the most of this design.

As to single handers, I do not have any plans to use any of the Geibig 1,2,3 & 4 to be hilted in cruciform "knightly" hilts. We do have some plans for other early cruciform style swords, though. There are preliminary designs for a type Xa and another that is somewhere XIIIb-ish/XI-ish plus a type XII, all three having long and/or well defined fullers. Those swords will be classic cruciform in style and character.

Falchions: Yes, absolutely!
The big question is only: when? There are already some preliminary designs awaiting further development. We just have to see what version we decide to go for. In time we will hopefully see several single edged designs in production, including falchions, grosse messers and kriegs messers.
The one you saw a drawing of is one of the possibilities, but gain, we´ll have to see what plans get to be realized.
I imagine a classic 13th C falchion would be a good choice to include in a basic series of swords representing the most common and typical swords that were in use through the ages.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since we are starting to get some whisper of future plans, are there any plans to make anything for the complex hilts fans among us?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens
Page 1 of 74 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: