Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Making a dagger/short sword from an old Bayonet??? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joachim Elsander

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Making a dagger/short sword from an old Bayonet???         Reply with quote

Hi!
I just bought this old bayonet, it is a British 1888 pattern bayonet, this kind of bayonet was used in the Boer war and in the First World War.

The bayonet looks a little rusty, but its just dirt, now it is polished and fine.
The blade is symmetrical and in good condition. This is the first bayonet I have seen with real “sword potential” without being rare or expensive. The blade is 12" long and over all the Bayonet is 16-3/4" long. Here is my idea:
This bayonet didn’t cost me much, so I am planing modifying the hilt to make it more like a short sword/dagger. But I don’t want to ruin a fine bayonet, actually I am a little hesitant to ”destroy” this little piece of history.

Is there anybody out there with any experience from using a bayonet for a sword or a dagger?
Many bayonets are cheep, many have fine blade with fine steel. Isn’t that perfect material for experimentation?

I only need to figure out a way to deal with the hilt making it more like a dagger.
It’s a cheep item but I don’t want to ruin it! If you think I should leave it as it is, please tell me!

Any advice is welcome!

Greetings
Joachim

Attachment: 89.78 KB
Bayonet.jpg

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll leave the technical aspects of such a conversion to the experts, but I will make an observation. The bayonets that I've handled all have very thick and heavy blades. I tried putting a good cutting edge on my M48 Mauser bayonet. It took a lot of work, and yielded only mediocre results. If you are looking to make a super heavy duty, nuke proof thrusting dagger, then this bayonet may be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd suggest leaving it as is and buying perphaps a Lutel (or some other quality) dagger. Just my 2 cents. Happy
David Lindberg

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that this opinion will be in the majority: leave it. Destroying a piece of history over 100 years old to create a fair to poor 'custom' weapon is an enormous waste.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with leaveing it the way it is.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Joachim Elsander

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you! I think I hear wisdom speaking. Yes the blade is definitly thick compared to a dagger I have.
I think I will leave it as it is and try to find the scabbard for it.

Thank you again!
Joachim
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you are crazy if you do!!! Evil SERIOUSLY!!! do you know how rare those british bayonets are? I'm after one for my SMLE no1 MkIII* and guess what? they're either not accessable, or way out of my price range (i've seen one go for $2500 at auction, dress bayonet).

Keep it oiled and free of corrosion...thats a piece of history worth hanging onto, its like people snapping a nihonto to make a "trench dagger" Eek!

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joachim Elsander

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert I hear you! Sorry for my stupid idea, an idea I have thrown out the window!
Thank you for giving me good advice!!! I am new to bayonets, maybe that can exuse me. Blush

Anyway, now I am looking for a fitting scabbard, any idea were I can find one?
I repeat I will not damage the bayonet! After cleaning it carfully I see that I have a very fine pice of history.
Joachim Elsander

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have learned that it is very hard to find an original scabbard for this bayonet.
So my question is: until I find a real one, where can I find a replica/reproduction?
Any info is welcomed!

Joachim
Anthony Drew Farmer

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this is coming from a newbie to the forums who also happens to be a 19 year old kid, but for what it's worth..

I know for a fact it is pheasable to turn the old bayonets into knife; my great grandfather has shown me one he did himself on numerous occasions. True, it is tedious as all getout to put a decent edge on it, but yeah, it's definately possible. However, his was a WW2 issue from who-knows-where, so I could just be misjudging the material..

Perhaps, however, you could use this blade as a template? Take it somewhere, have a piece made like it? Or examine the piece you have to find a location selling replicas and with the piece you have, judge their replicas to see how ACCURET they are? Then you could make a knife out of the replica bayonettes guilt free! As for how to do it.. all I can guess is find some way to take the annoying rifle-mount crossguard off and replace it with extra handle-lenth with some fine oiled wood and some wood glue, I'm not sure with the look of it though.. I usually play with solid metal knives and such, not a fan of wood on knives..

Fé, Vit, Friðr, Grið, Heill

þur niut þasi þui
Joachim Elsander

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Anthony!
I agree with you to some degree.
If I would find a cheap bayonet with a very damage handle, or a blade in worse condiction.
I think maybe I would try to use whats left and make a dagger out of it. (depending on the model of course)
But this one I will definitly leave as it is.

It seems like old bayonets that was modifide "back than" in the middle of war, for exemple if someone
used a bayo withe a broken blade to make a dagger out of it, that is somthing entirly differente.
(maybe you great grandfather did somthing like that) than if I today would "ruin" a fine old bayonet and making a
mediocre dagger from it. As David Lindberg pointed out to me, "Destroying a piece of history over 100 years old to create a fair to poor 'custom' weapon is an enormous waste".

But now I am looking for a scabbard and I am happy for any advice!

Joachim
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, I want some advice on converting a bayonet to a dagger. I have a bayonet in horrid condision I got for 2 bucks.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I realize this is an older topic, but just wanted to say that I'm impressed with the opinions that have been express. I would also have to agree that I think keeping it as a piece of history rather then creating a custom piece out of it is the right way to go.

I have a small little collection of bayonets myself. They are fine pieces of history and am always amazed at the variety that exist.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Making a dagger/short sword from an old Bayonet???
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic