Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Junk mail,related to "Real name login?" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Junk mail,related to "Real name login?"         Reply with quote

In the brief time that I have been a member of this site I have begun to receive large numbers of 'Junk mail'. I mentioned this to a friend who is a computer literate bloke unlike me,he suggested that it may well be that sites are trawled and this could be the reason.
Have any others had this experience?. One evening I had 800 e.mail while only 40 were for me the rest being Junk.

WTF?!

30 year obsession
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I get about 5-10 emails every day, of which zero % is spam/junk mail.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your email address is not public anywhere on the site here unless you posted it on our forums. The site, itself, does not put your email address anywhere. Doing a search on our forums for your email address (to which, as the site admin, I have access) reveals no instance of it on our forums. Your spam problem is not caused by myArmoury.com.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roy, you do have a link to your website on your profile page. Could this be the problem? Have you been receiving these emails on your website address or a personal account?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Roy, you do have a link to your website on your profile page. Could this be the problem? Have you been receiving these emails on your website address or a personal account?

Yep. That looks to be it. The email harvesting is from Roy's own site. The fact that myArmoury.com gets as much traffic as it does likely sent many visitors to his site. We do not share email addresses or personal information from our site. And we never will without explicit consent to do so.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Junkmail         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:

Yes I do have a link to my web site. The site has been there for four years so although it is possible that this is so, I wonder why when my site has only "Greyman" the junk mail is addressed to me personally, my 'Real name' only appears on this site while on the only three others that I use it is also "Greyman".
This is not any form of comment other than my chum says that computer scanning by mailers is now so sophistcated that very often like with Banks and pass words, Computer technolgy is such that links can be made..........all totally beyound me as an old guy/novice at this.
I have now accepted the fact that if we go away on return up to 2000 junk e.mail will have acrued, so I use Wannadoo Spam deletor, sadly it seems that some e.mail marked "Spam" are from other collectors........Oh, how I miss the FAX and pen..............

Regards

Greyman(Roy) Laughing Out Loud

30 year obsession
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Junkmail         Reply with quote

Roy Lindus wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:

Yes I do have a link to my web site. The site has been there for four years so although it is possible that this is so, I wonder why when my site has only "Greyman" the junk mail is addressed to me personally, my 'Real name' only appears on this site while on the only three others that I use it is also "Greyman".
This is not any form of comment other than my chum says that computer scanning by mailers is now so sophistcated that very often like with Banks and pass words, Computer technolgy is such that links can be made..........all totally beyound me as an old guy/novice at this.
I have now accepted the fact that if we go away on return up to 2000 junk e.mail will have acrued, so I use Wannadoo Spam deletor, sadly it seems that some e.mail marked "Spam" are from other collectors........Oh, how I miss the FAX and pen..............

Regards

Greyman(Roy) Laughing Out Loud

All on my personal e.mail address and to me by name.

30 year obsession
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i had spyware on my computer that used to send me emails from forum i'm on by name...attached with a virus! and to an email address i dont give to anyone on forums.
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Junkmail         Reply with quote

Roy Lindus wrote:
All on my personal e.mail address and to me by name.

Hmmm...I don't know what to tell you then. I assumed that since, as Nathan said, there's a lot of activity on this site, the spammers were simply linking to you website and spamming you through your email there. Since this appears not to be the case, I'm at a loss for an explanation. I will say, however, that I'm sure it has nothing to do with myArmoury, as I haven't had any trouble with increased spam whatsoever since I've been a member here. It's most likely just coincidence that your spam troubles and your membership here happened to begin at similar times. Happy
Mike Pospichal

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Robert said, this may be because of spyware. A program that I have found useful for getting rid of it is Ad-aware. They have a free version that has worked great for me. Good luck with this.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, also, have had no trouble with spamming. Of course, I have a couple of different spam filters.
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Pospichal wrote:
Like Robert said, this may be because of spyware. A program that I have found useful for getting rid of it is Ad-aware. They have a free version that has worked great for me. Good luck with this.

Thanks all, this has been a good learning curve for me as a relative newcomer to the world of computers. You say you have a spy ware detector that is free, could you let me have the web address, I would like to try this system before buying.

Another suggestion has been made, that is as I am selling some stuff on e.bay,have a web site and both allow e.mails to me, there is a high probability that these combined are a causal factor.

Damned clever stuff and you have to admire the technology involved,mind you I am still puzzled by how when you flick a switch in the house, a light comes om............. Laughing Out Loud

Again thanks for the feedback.

30 year obsession
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ad-Aware is available for free download from http://www.lavasoft.de/
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:

Thanks Steve, have done so we shall perhaps see whats going on.
Roy

30 year obsession
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Roy Lindus wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:

Roy

Steve, If you are ever in my area I owe you a drink of Cornish ale, perhaps several.
Took your advice and when I ran it,it found 405 infections of various types...........So hopefully with the system in place my problem such as it is will no longer exist.
Many thanks
Roy Wink

30 year obsession
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Roy Lindus wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:

Roy

Roy,

When you run Ad-Aware, make sure you set it up to do a full system scan, not just the smart scan. I've found that pairing Ad-Aware with Spybot Search and Destroy makes a very good combo. Good luck.

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Roy Lindus wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:

Roy

Roy,

When you run Ad-Aware, make sure you set it up to do a full system scan, not just the smart scan. I've found that pairing Ad-Aware with Spybot Search and Destroy makes a very good combo. Good luck.

Yes it all seems to be going well, no further problems and the number of junk mail is slowly decreasing.
Thanks all
Roy

30 year obsession

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Junk mail,related to "Real name login?"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic