Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > My new website Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: My new website         Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have set up a website to help keep people up to date on my current projects as well as future project designs that are in the works. For right now I'm stuck with it being at geocities until I can find a better location, so sorry for any of the ads and any outages there might be.

I will try to keep things updated fairly regularly as I have new things to add. Still have a few pictures to add in places, but I'll try to get them up as I get time.

http://www.ironagearmoury.com/

old address:
http://www.geocities.com/shanealleeswords/

Thanks,
Shane
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

You should consider purchasing a hosting plan from a real Internet Service Provider. It's not very expensive. I offer hosting services for such things, as one option, but I think that would be overkill for you. There are extremely cheap options available out there, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was expecting this, to what extent I didn't know though. I've been reading through various places hosting options, a good bit I don't have a clue about and a good bit I don't even need. Many numbers are purely arbitrary until you give something a try, can't say that I can tell you far X GB of data transfer will get you. One fear is signing up with a place and then getting a crazy bill at the end of the month for overages, the other side of it is why pay for a bunch of services that I don't need and probably can't really afford. I am looking, learning, and trying to find something that works. Guess I forgot to mention in this thread that it was an experiment in progress.

Nathan, about the Town Guard.... Was this one you were wanting to be able to review, or did you just want to have one? The next time I'm down for one of the Ohio gatherings I can just leave mine with Chad for him to do one. If your wanting to see and handle one, and don't get the chance to at the blade show, give me a shout.

Shane
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Shane,

I'm fairly familiar with hosting woes. I used to do freelance journalism for the gaming industry, and for awhile worked for a site called The GIA... we often used 50+ gigs bandwith a day during our prime. Even with our own dedicated server it was a headache. Happy Anywho, good to see your site up (I did catch it yesterday). In addition to Nathan's comments, you may want to check with HostWay (www.hostway.net). I've had an account with them for personal reasons before, and a few friends who run their own businesses use them for that purpose to. Pretty good service and good packages for a fairly nominal fee if you're running a smaller operation. And a really good reputation, which is nice.

Take care man.
-JS

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The site seems to be working now. And for a first try it's pretty nice.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just in on the site, too. It seems to work pretty well. The only problem was in the segment on Nate's LaTene where a picture overlaps text.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy, I'll check that place out.

Steve, could you tell me what browser your using and what section had the overlap? I use netscape and tried the version of IE that we also have and didn't see a problem, so I'm curious now. The text is set up to run along the side of the first picture and then the full width under it, so this is most likely the problem area correct?

Thanks
Shane
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bought a domain name and found a new host, so my new home will be.

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
Bought a domain name and found a new host, so my new home will be.

The new site seems faster than the previous site. Of course, maybe it is just my imagination.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
...Steve, could you tell me what browser your using and what section had the overlap? I use netscape and tried the version of IE that we also have and didn't see a problem, so I'm curious now. The text is set up to run along the side of the first picture and then the full width under it, so this is most likely the problem area correct?
Thanks
Shane

Shane, I am running internet explorer 6. I think the problem was that I had my Favorites bar open, which reduced the available width of the screen. I had the same overlap problem on your new site, but then closed the Favorites bar, and everything was fine.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Site update         Reply with quote

I have added some new concept sketches under the future projects section of my site. There is a slightly more refined sketch of the hilt for the dedicated cutter. The spatha blade project that was under La Tene III is now under the Piggot type VI with four new hilt designs. After diving into the Piggot typology more I realized that the hilts I had been working on for these blades really didn't match up well, so they are now located under the Piggot type IV. There are a few new designs there featuring cocked hat guards.

Currently I'm in the process of polishing Nate's La Tene, and hope to finish it in the next couple days. After that I'll also be finishing up the polish on a tanto and possibly starting polish of my katana.

Shane

www.ironagearmoury.com
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Another site update         Reply with quote

Finished Nate's La tene and it is now under recent projects. Added a picture for the seax blade that is in progress as well as a new page on my Petersen type H viking sword. Also added pictures of my town guard and one of a couple antique african spears that I added to my collection.

Shane

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > My new website
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic