Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What tool do I use ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: What tool do I use ?         Reply with quote

I'm trying to disassemble a sword and don't know how to deal with a slotted "nut" screwed on to the tang. Is there a special tool for this? Any advice on this would help.
Thanks, W.
(I'll try to post a picture)

Attachment: 39.66 KB
MVC-002S.JPG
P-1908

tweetchris
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think what you want is a pin wrench, but I'm not positive about that term. Anyway, I think what I'd do is just drive a couple of nails into a block of wood and clip off the heads down pretty close to the block. That's a quick DIY pin wrench. Just invert the block, insert the nail ends into the slot and turn. If the nut is too tight, and bends the nails, you can use big nails with the ends slightly flattened after cutting them off. If all else fails, you could secure the hilt in a vise and insert a flathead screw driver into one of the slots at an angle of around 45 degrees, with the head pointed counterclockwise. Then you just start tapping that screwdriver with a hammer to try and get the nut loose enough to use that makeshift pin wrench or some other contraption.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also saw the shafts off a couple of cheap flathead screwdrivers, drill two holes through a block of wood and just insert the round ends of the shafts in those. That would prevent the bent-nail problem.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean has some good ideas. A couple of others would be to use an old bigger screwdriver or a crap chisel and grind a groove to fit your center rod. Another option would be to try a small prybar like would be used to pull tacks or work with furniture - a miniature version of one for shingling.

At any rate, whatever you might be able to improvise to fit both slots at once and turn about that central axis... It's one of those places where not having the right tool really causes some frustration.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've used needle-nosed pliars for this job. They have the benefit of being able to be opened to any width. Simply insert the tips into the grooves and turn. Easy as pie.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've used needle-nosed pliars for this job. They have the benefit of being able to be opened to any width. Simply insert the tips into the grooves and turn. Easy as pie.

Good thought, Nathan! Snap ring pliers might also do the trick, and are possibly flatter on the tips, should the needlenose be too stumpy.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are a golfer, try using the cleat (for the plastic spikes) key for you shoes. I don't know if the width would be correct or not though.
Jason Dingledine
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Good thought, Nathan! Snap ring pliers might also do the trick, and are possibly flatter on the tips, should the needlenose be too stumpy.

Both of these are excellent suggestions. If you need some extra torque, stick a screwdriver through the handle. Good luck.

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: What tool do I use ?         Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'll try getting a pin wrench. Needlenose pliers won't fit into the slots.
W.

tweetchris
Dan Crowther

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another name for the tool you're looking for is a "Spanner Wrench". They typically come in three types, slotted, hook, and pin. You're obviously after the slotted type.

You may have difficulty finding these tools at your local hardware store. These fittings are commonly used on bicycle bottom brackets and freewheel assemblies, so check out places that sell bike repair tools.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: What tool do I use ?         Reply with quote

I finally got around to taking pictures of the finished project. So, here they are (I hope).
William

Attachment: 40.5 KB
MVC-006S.JPG

Attachment: 39.25 KB
MVC-004S.JPG

Attachment: 40.27 KB
MVC-005S.JPG

tweetchris
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aha! The Windlass Steelcrafts Indian Cavalry Sword. This sword is still offered by Atlana Cutlery. Unfortunately, they don't have a pic of it on their site, but it comes from the factory with shiny dark olive green paint on the guard (as shown in your first photo) and scabbard. A very sleek and utilitarian looking sword. I think you've improved the look tremendously by removing the paint and letting the metal show through. Nice! Happy
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: What tool do I use ?/ windlass         Reply with quote

I purchased this one from International Military Antiques out of New Jersey. They billed it as a P-1908 recently refurbished. I've included a photo of the wooden grip which is embossed with RFI and a broad arrow. The blade has no marks whatsoever. Pitting on the bowl and scabbard make me belive that those parts at least are authentic. If not, I should have purchased the Atlanta Cutlery sword for $70 or so less.
William

Attachment: 39.01 KB
MVC-007S.JPG

tweetchris
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What tool do I use ?/ windlass         Reply with quote

William C Champlin wrote:
I purchased this one from International Military Antiques out of New Jersey. They billed it as a P-1908 recently refurbished. I've included a photo of the wooden grip which is embossed with RFI and a broad arrow. The blade has no marks whatsoever. Pitting on the bowl and scabbard make me belive that those parts at least are authentic. If not, I should have purchased the Atlanta Cutlery sword for $70 or so less.
William
It may indeed be authentic. I know nothing about the history of this particular sword, it's just that when I saw the photos of the full sword, I immediately thought of thesword I've seen in Atlanta Cutlery's catalogue. I wasn't even sure if the version they offer was an exact replica of the original sword. Perphaps it is, and perphaps you have an original on your hands. I certainly hope so. Eek! I simply assumed it was the Windlass version. In any case, It looks fantastic. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What tool do I use ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic