Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reliks.com Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reliks.com         Reply with quote

For those interested in Windlass Steelcrafts' swords, but tired of the tiny photos on most sites, try Reliks.com. They feature some nice enlarged photos (of the full swords and hilts, both) of most of the Windlass line. Happy
http://www.reliks.com/
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks m8 i have been looking for some enlarged pics for the windlass line
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:
thanks m8 i have been looking for some enlarged pics for the windlass line

Glad I could be of service. Happy I should probably state at this point that my post should not be viewed as an endorsement of Reliks (generic, standard disclaimer, and all that.... Laughing Out Loud ). I've never done business with them, but they have the best Windlass pics I've been able to find thus far. If anyone knows of another site with equal or better pics, please let us know.

Thanks,

Scott Happy
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice tip, thank you.
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

888 Knives-R-Us has some nice big pictures on their site: http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/swords/
Most of the swords also have a collage-type pic, such as the one below (on the site it is larger). As you can see, it even shows distal taper in an edge-on view...

Attachment: 69.31 KB
TowtonCollage.jpg

Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Anyone notice the cool scabbards on there...         Reply with quote

I was loooking through the Reliks site and noticed the nice scabbards for the Kingdom of Heaven swords. The scabbards are nice and reported as wood covered in leather. They would be a nice complement to one of the swords.

Joel;
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone notice the cool scabbards on there...         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
I was loooking through the Reliks site and noticed the nice scabbards for the Kingdom of Heaven swords. The scabbards are nice and reported as wood covered in leather. They would be a nice complement to one of the swords.

Joel;

I am very glad that they are at least attempting to go for a more period look to the scabbards and belt attachments. These kinds of things have always been of great interest to me so I'm glad to see the attempt. However, most of the belts seem to be using a two-buckle system that is a bit strange to say the least, and certainly not accurate for the period.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone notice the cool scabbards on there...         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Joel Whitmore wrote:

Joel;

I am very glad that they are at least attempting to go for a more period look to the scabbards and belt attachments. These kinds of things have always been of great interest to me so I'm glad to see the attempt. However, most of the belts seem to be using a two-buckle system that is a bit strange to say the least, and certainly not accurate for the period.

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed too. While the two-buckle system may not be period accurate, I'm personally willing to forgive this aspect. The way I look at it is that since these swords and scabbards are modeled after movie equipment (even though the movie is loosely-based upon historical events), I would classify them under the "semi-fantasy" heading; hence, I'm not necessarily expecting exacting faithfulness to actually Crusades period equipment. Does that make sense? Laughing Out Loud In any case, they look really nice. Happy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Does that make sense?

Not really. Big Grin

One can't really blame the manufacturer for these design flaws since they are copying movie prop designs, and I don't see anyone doing that. On the other hand, if a production company is setting a movie during a specific period and makes any claim to accuracy then they should try to get things right.

In the end though I really don't care. One of my pet peeves concerns people picking movies apart at that level of minutae. At least the overall look is in the spirit of the period, which is good enough for me.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

" At least the overall look is in the spirit of the period, which is good enough for me. "

Also good story and good acting and a minimum of gross mistakes: Its a movie not living history so the only way to enjoy it is to rachet down one's critical sense down to 3 from 10. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
Does that make sense?

Not really. Big Grin

What I'm trying to say is that as long as these scabbards accurately replicate the ones used in the movie, that's all we can ask of them. So, if the scabbards in the movie have a two-buckle arrangement, then these replicas should have two buckles as well, right? Not having seen the movie, I can't say whether these are accurate replicas of the movie scabbards, but assuming that they are, then they serve their purpose (to replicate the ones in the movie) , whether they are historically accurate or not. Now, does THAT make sense? Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Makes sense to me: At least it keeps the " mistakes " if any consistant. Laughing Out Loud

In this case the blame for not caring very much about being 100% true to history goes to the usual Hollywood suspects Big Grin

In something like LOTR we wouldn't even have to think twice about it. ( Way past thinking twice about it at this point Razz Wink )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Patrick;

" At least the overall look is in the spirit of the period, which is good enough for me. "

Also good story and good acting and a minimum of gross mistakes: Its a movie not living history so the only way to enjoy it is to rachet down one's critical sense down to 3 from 10. Wink

Yep. Of course a good story and acting are a must in any production, historical or otherwise. I learned a long time ago to set back and enjoy the show for what it is. Anything else is an exercise in frustration. Hollywood just seems to have an interesting opinion of what is "historically accurate". That seems to be an oxymoron just like "Military Intelligence". Big Grin

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Thu 07 Apr, 2005 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that as long as these scabbards accurately replicate the ones used in the movie, that's all we can ask of them. So, if the scabbards in the movie have a two-buckle arrangement, then these replicas should have two buckles as well, right? Not having seen the movie, I can't say whether these are accurate replicas of the movie scabbards, but assuming that they are, then they serve their purpose (to replicate the ones in the movie) , whether they are historically accurate or not. Now, does THAT make sense? Laughing Out Loud

Perfectly clear. Big Grin

Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Despite their not-so-historical elements, I rather like the scabbard and belt attachments. I’m always on the look out for interesting belts, frogs and riggings and these are rather interesting. So much so that I find myself wondering if I can buy one of the scabbard/belt systems and remove the belt to use on other scabbards and swords. Of course if they are glued or heavily stitched on it probably wouldn’t work. But who know??? WTF?! What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Laughing Out Loud
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Despite their not-so-historical elements, I rather like the scabbard and belt attachments. I’m always on the look out for interesting belts, frogs and riggings and these are rather interesting. So much so that I find myself wondering if I can buy one of the scabbard/belt systems and remove the belt to use on other scabbards and swords. Of course if they are glued or heavily stitched on it probably wouldn’t work. But who know??? WTF?! What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Laughing Out Loud

The scabbards seem expensive enough that I don't think it would be worthwhile or cost effective.

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The scabbards seem expensive enough that I don't think it would be worthwhile or cost effective.

I'll have to agree. At $250 each, that's a lot to sacrifice. For half that price, one could purchase half a hide and fittings- enough to build multiple complete scabbards and belts. Unless the scabbard was of nearly the same girth or you were willing to do a bit of reworking, it wouldn't be a quickly interchangeable thing anyway.

In order to work out the design and fitting issues, you could do a mock-up using some vinyl from the fabric store fairly easily. It's cheaper than leather...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Mark Mattimore

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I'll have to agree. At $250 each, that's a lot to sacrifice

Yeah, you guys are probably right. $250 seems like a lot to spend on a belt anyway, especially one that may or may not turn out right. It's just me being lazy and not wanting to do it from scratch. Razz
Mark Mattimore

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So considering that I’ve confessed to my general sense of laziness (and total lack of craft skills) does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about making belt riggings of this type? Any good books or websites that I could check out? Thanks in advance for the help.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reliks.com
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic