Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
65%
 65%  [ 28 ]
Very Good
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Good
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 43

Mar 28: myArmoury.com news and updates
Today's update:

[ Linked Image ]
Three Swords from the Higgins Museum
An article by Alexi Goranov

[ Linked Image ]
Museum Replicas Towton Sword
A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Museum Replicas Towton Sword
Added to Chad's Collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Chad, thanks for the great review of the MRL Towton. It answered a lot of questions I was having about this sword. It was at the top of my list until Atrim and Albion introduced their sparring lines. Still, a Towton may find its way into my hands yet.

Ben
Benjamin McCracken wrote:
Chad, thanks for the great review of the MRL Towton. It answered a lot of questions I was having about this sword. It was at the top of my list until Atrim and Albion introduced their sparring lines. Still, a Towton may find its way into my hands yet.

Ben

Ben,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the review. The Towton is a good bargain, especially if you can get it for under $200, like I did. Not the best sword on the market, but arguably one of the best in its price range.
Great review of the Towton. That's been on my "to buy" list for some time now. It's always nice to see a wide variety of swords reviewed here, not just the high-end stuff.
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Great review of the Towton. That's been on my "to buy" list for some time now. It's always nice to see a wide variety of swords reviewed here, not just the high-end stuff.

Mark,
Thanks. I'm a big proponent of reviewing a good sampling of all price ranges, too. Hopefully, we'll continue to be able to get our hands on a variety of review pieces, whether from our own collections, readers' collections, or from vendors themselves.

If you ever want to check this one out in person (since you're local to me), give me a shout via PM or email. You're welcome to stop by and go after some pool noodles with the Towton, or whatever other swords I have lying around. All I'd ask is that you bring your new Mercenary over for me to look at. :)

It was nice to meet you a couple of weeks ago.
Yet more great reading chaps,
Thanks,
the Towton looks a great buy at around the $200.00 mark,
Good of you to try it out chad, ;) Nice one, :cool:
Great stuff alexi,some interesting reading and the measurements are a great plus too, :cool:
great review Chad. I too own a Windlass. I have the Classic Medieval Sword. I am very happy with it too. My criticism of it is along the same lines as yours. The leather around the grip is less then perfect, it looks like the threading was going to come loose from day one, but it has not done so yet. The sword is a wicked cutter with its thin blade, but i think it would fold up if i tried to thrust through any thing hard, but that is to be expected of a thin cutting blade. The crossgaurd makes a little noise when i do my drills. It is tight enough so that there is no visible movement, but i guess it could be tighter. The windlass stamp is very irritating to look at. I also think the sword should come sharpened at no extra charge. Windlass wants $30 to sharpen it for you. i did it myself with a block i bought.

The nice thing about these cheeper blades is that i would not mind doing some heavy test cutting with it. For a long time I have been wanting to hang a tire from them ceiling somewhere and seeing how it performs. unfortunately i live in an apartment building in the city and i do not see any pipes to hand a tire from. Perhaps your situation is deferent .
I am delighted to see a review of a more affordable sword. The riveiws ususly focus an the pricey $700 to $1,500 swords. I would like to see more reviws of swords in the $200 range.
Quote:
If you ever want to check this one out in person (since you're local to me), give me a shout via PM or email. You're welcome to stop by and go after some pool noodles with the Towton, or whatever other swords I have lying around. All I'd ask is that you bring your new Mercenary over for me to look at.

Chad

Sounds great. I'd love to do some cutting with your Towton (and your Sovereign if you'll let me :D ) As soon as I receive my Mercenary I'll let you know and post some pics.
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Sounds great. I'd love to do some cutting with your Towton (and your Sovereign if you'll let me :D ) As soon as I receive my Mercenary I'll let you know and post some pics.

Absolutely. I suppose I could put the Sovereign down long enough for someone else to cut with it. :)

Sounds like fun.
I did some test cutting with a windass
I posted te results in the following forum and it lead to some discusion.

http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002353.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: