Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Customizing the Sovereign Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Customizing the Sovereign         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I've had Albion's Sovereign for a while now, and really like it. Roger Hooper had posted pics of his Sovereign with a reproduction coin in the center of the pommel. I liked the idea, and decided to borrow (or steal) it.

The coin he and I used, which I bought from www.by-the-sword.com, is supposed to be a replica of an English coin in use during the reigns of Edward I and Edward III. I actually have an antique Edward I coin which is very similar. The reproduction coins are quite nice. The two I have are thin like the antique I have (thinner than a US dime) and slightly different from each other, as if they were hand-struck.

Here's the result:

Attachment: 31.21 KB
upload1.jpg

Attachment: 17.98 KB
upload2.jpg
Coin obverse.

Attachment: 18.67 KB
upload3.jpg
Coin Reverse.

Attachment: 13.77 KB
coin2.jpg
New and antique coins.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks great Chad. I think it really adds something to the sword.

How did you afix the coin?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOL Laughing Out Loud

I did the same exact thing to mine!

Sorry to say our ideas are not one of a kind or original Razz

I ordered my coins through "By the Sword" too.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every time I see this sword I tell myself that I really need one.

Well, I don't really need it, but.................................. Laughing Out Loud

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It looks great Chad. I think it really adds something to the sword.

How did you afix the coin?

Thanks. I like what it adds, too. My wife even agreed that it adds something and she's not into swords at all. Happy

I used a dab of adhesive caulk to get them in there. I figured I could take that stuff out without too much trauma if I ever needed to.

By the way, Patrick, you do need one. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
LOL Laughing Out Loud

Roger comes up with some good ideas, doesn't he? By the Sword was great to deal with.

Happy

ChadA

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:
LOL Laughing Out Loud

Roger comes up with some good ideas, doesn't he? By the Sword was great to deal with.

Actually, I thought of it before Roger posted his idea. I bet he's decided against it now Laughing Out Loud

By the Sword really came through didn't they? They even measured the coin to make sure it would fit.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Every time I see this sword I tell myself that I really need one.

Well, I don't really need it, but.................................. Laughing Out Loud

For a shorty the Sovereign is my favorite. I fight to put this thing down sometimes Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it is the complexity of the design of the Sovereign that lends itself to the ornamentation of the coin. A similar sword less busy in appearance might not get as much from the addition (the Sheriff, for example, perhaps?).

Chad, your Sovereign with both bronze pommel and cross is still my favourite and the coins finish it off nicely. . . except for the need for a suitable matching scabbard, of course Wink

And although the Sovereign looks stunning in all steel, considering what I've seen in Patrick's collection so far, I might dare to suggest waiting at least until the first Sheriff is assembled to decide which to add to represent the type. For Patrick's purposes, for some reason the Sheriff just sticks in my head as seeming more "right". . . but I may be wrong.

In any case, you would do yourself an ill turn to not add one of the two swords to the collection. an I.33 style weapon would begin to fill out the gap in time between the early and later period pieces; a close of the era of "sword and shield" that wouldn't return until the rapier and buckler a few hundred years later.

my $.02
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
And although the Sovereign looks stunning in all steel, considering what I've seen in Patrick's collection so far, I might dare to suggest waiting at least until the first Sheriff is assembled to decide which to add to represent the type. For Patrick's purposes, for some reason the Sheriff just sticks in my head as seeming more "right".

I've been thinking the same thing Jonathon. The Sheriff is cheaper too. Big Grin

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
And although the Sovereign looks stunning in all steel, considering what I've seen in Patrick's collection so far, I might dare to suggest waiting at least until the first Sheriff is assembled to decide which to add to represent the type. For Patrick's purposes, for some reason the Sheriff just sticks in my head as seeming more "right".

I've been thinking the same thing Jonathon. The Sheriff is cheaper too. Big Grin

Sign me up for the sheriff too Big Grin But it might be more than an year before I can get it.......have bigger swords to fry first Laughing Out Loud

By the way, Chad, what is the diameter of the coins? I have been meaning to buy these for a while.

Alexi
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

By the way, Chad, what is the diameter of the coins? I have been meaning to buy these for a while.

Alexi

Alexi,
It's hard to measure them now that they're affixed. Happy The Sovereign's pommel recess is about .81 inches across, though. There is an ever-so-slight gap all the way around each coin (the coins are a tad bit smaller). My best estimate is that they are around .75-.77 inches. Since they're not perfectly round, the diameter will vary in places.

Happy

ChadA

Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks Great Chad!

Not a Big fan of Bronze furniture here but the coins really do finish it off as Jonathan said before. I was NEVER interested in this sword until my last trip to Albion, when Mike "made" me hold it. (he REALLY had to twist my arm, trust me... Laughing Out Loud ) Now i can't get the thing out of my head. Still thinking that i am going to wait for the Sheriff how ever and see just how closely they compare. Looking for the more utility based version as i would want it for primarily a Cutting blade, and being slightly cheaper i wouldn't feel awful messing up the finish as bad as i would on a Sovereign.

Just to say it again Chad.... Nice Work. Happy

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Edward coin replica is the same size a a U.S. nickel, and as you can see, fits perfectly into the Sovereign pommel recess.

There is a little irony in using thIs coin replica on this sword. The Albion Sovereign is primarily based on a sword in Oakeshott's, Records that quite possibly was owned by Philip IV of France. Philip rule coincided with that of Edward I and Edward II. He was not particularly friendly with either, though he married his daughter, Isabella to Edward II. We know how well that worked out. Worried
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt G. Meekma wrote:
Looks Great Chad!

Not a Big fan of Bronze furniture here but the coins really do finish it off as Jonathan said before. I was NEVER interested in this sword until my last trip to Albion, when Mike "made" me hold it. (he REALLY had to twist my arm, trust me... Laughing Out Loud ) Now i can't get the thing out of my head. Still thinking that i am going to wait for the Sheriff how ever and see just how closely they compare. Looking for the more utility based version as i would want it for primarily a Cutting blade, and being slightly cheaper i wouldn't feel awful messing up the finish as bad as i would on a Sovereign.

Just to say it again Chad.... Nice Work. Happy

Come over to the bronze dark side...... Happy Seriously, thanks for the kind words. The Sovereign is quite a sword. I wouldn't worry about messing up the finish of it, though. A little oil/scotchbrite on the steel, a little Metal-Glo on the bronze and you're as good as new.

I actually handle this one more than my other swords. Bronze doesn't rust, it just tarnsihes, so I don't have to be so careful with cleaning the hilt. I like the way the bronze is patinating, too.

Happy

ChadA

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Come over to the bronze dark side...... Happy Seriously, thanks for the kind words. The Sovereign is quite a sword. I wouldn't worry about messing up the finish of it, though. A little oil/scotchbrite on the steel, a little Metal-Glo on the bronze and you're as good as new.

I actually handle this one more than my other swords. Bronze doesn't rust, it just tarnsihes, so I don't have to be so careful with cleaning the hilt. I like the way the bronze is patinating, too.

Funny thing your talking about the bronze Chad. I was commenting to my wife just a few nights ago about it. It's a very interesting alloy in that it easily turns a deep gold and almost brown with age and frequent handling. The greenish patina is also very neat but I don't really know how to acheive that. What's most interesting is that bronze will polish to an almost white color with relative ease. I originally shyed away from bronze because it reminds me of brass which is for cheap wallhangers. Now I love it but only in moderation Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To all of those who have employed the coin embellishment, well done.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually handle this one more than my other swords. Bronze doesn't rust, it just tarnsihes, so I don't have to be so careful with cleaning the hilt.

My thoughts exactly. This is why, aesthetics aside, I think I would like bronze furniture on a sword I would purchase specifically to use regularly. . .

. . . call me a little lazy. . .
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Quote:
I actually handle this one more than my other swords. Bronze doesn't rust, it just tarnsihes, so I don't have to be so careful with cleaning the hilt.

My thoughts exactly. This is why, aesthetics aside, I think I would like bronze furniture on a sword I would purchase specifically to use regularly. . .

. . . call me a little lazy. . .

Color me the same. It is good to know one's limitations. Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOL...

Well i would call my self the King of Lazytown. Jonathon can back me up on this one i am sure. How ever i also just can't bring myself to enjoy anything bronze or gold colored.... just my personal preference i guess.

But i also have a bad habit of wanting everything with blackened fittings.... not as easy to care for as bronze Jon tells me but still less polishing than regular steel fittings.

Been thinking on getting a Sheriff for a few weeks now and i thing that as much as i would like to use that sword it might get that antique treatment and brown leather grip like Howie's Knight.

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Customizing the Sovereign
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic