A fresh Suontaka from Rob Miller/Castle Keep/Mick Maxen
Hello all!

Thought I would share with you my new sword from Rob. There's a lot to like about her, so let's get started.

I named her 'Snow Arc'. It says that in Furthak runes on the sterling grip ring. The words 'snow' and 'arc' are the same in that language.

The pattern welded billet is from Mick Maxen, who always does fine work. Rob chose to etch the blade subtly, resulting in soft greys that resemble frost when seen in sunlight.

The motifs on the furniture are really interesting. To me they resemble a family scene: Two fire breathing serpents, a mother and father, entwine comfortably on the guard. Two younger serpents coil madly about each other on the pommel like quarrelling children, and two babies nestle in their triangular cradles.

The Scabbard is quite nice, featuring chape and locket matching the furniture, and is fleece lined, resulting in a nearly silent draw.

All in all a wonderful piece, this one wont be used for cutting as I don't want to harm the etching whilst polishing out scuff marks.

I have a pic of the original Suontaka handle but I can't seem to attach it, here's a link:
https://www.ancientpages.com/2021/07/29/suontaka-weapon-grave-new-light-on-strong-female-leaders-and-warriors-of-late-iron-age-finland/

Hope you enjoy seeing!

Attachment: 456.38 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 233.85 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 262.57 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 215.13 KB
[ Download ]
Lovely
What is a fantastic sword. Really looks like a good job he did. Congratulations
Very nice!
That is a beautiful sword. It reminds me of the Langeid and Kvelprud swords found in Norway.
It is a Petersen type Æ, so a late viking age 11th century sword most likely.
Do you know more exact dating of the sword?

What inspired you to choose this sword?
I love the subtle etching.

Too many pattern welded reproductions are like BLAMMO PATTERN-WELDED!!

I like a more subtle finish. More elegant.
This all looks extremely nice & well done. Thank you for sharing!

I also like the subtle pattern/etch.

What is length? (overall or blade, just 1 measurement to help guage photos)

I think I like it but the long chape is somewhat unusual? Reason for?
Carl W. wrote:
This all looks extremely nice & well done. Thank you for sharing!

I also like the subtle pattern/etch.

What is length? (overall or blade, just 1 measurement to help guage photos)

I think I like it but the long chape is somewhat unusual? Reason for?

Whoops, sorry! stats.

OAL: 34 3/4"
Blade Length: 29 1/8 to bottom of guard
Weight: 2 LB 8.1 OZ
POB: Just under 7", I reckon
Grip Length: 3 1/8"

The long chape was my request, and Rob was obliging. I had room in the budget for a bit of scabbard bling but not enough for a 3 core billet.
Håvard Nygård wrote:

What inspired you to choose this sword?

There's a Wiki page about this sword as an archaeological find: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suontaka_sword

The sword itself was quite nice and well engineered, pattern welded blade with plenty of weight control, and hollow-cast bronze furniture. I'm not sure if there was wood or what under the grip portion.

I wanted a Viking sword and it is one of the most interesting and iconic, second only to Ulfberhts perhaps. It's my nicest and goes to my daughter someday.
Michael Granovsky wrote:
The sword itself was quite nice and well engineered, pattern welded blade with plenty of weight control, and hollow-cast bronze furniture. I'm not sure if there was wood or what under the grip portion.

Yes i just read the article.
I found this sword in Marks of Fire,Value and Faith of Mikko Moilanen and added a picture of the sword depicted in the book.
It says that there is latin letters on the fuller of the sword on both sides and that the inlayed letters could be pattern welded or longitudinal slag inclusions. The lettering could be translated to "in the name of god".
The blade itself is not pattern welded it seems. That would make sense from other finds as well, as where there is pattern welded lettering in the fuller, the rest of the blade is not pattern welded.
This sword was problably wielded by a newly born christian and maybe he wanted the blade to look different than the pattern welded pagan ones.
This sword is a stray find and therefore belongs most likely to a different grave.

The hilt is all cast hollow bronze, and most likely there was some material between the tang and the bronze grip. Probably wood. The interwoven animal pattern on the guards and pommel is definitely pagan, looks like Urnes style. So this sword is a mix between pagan and christian symbolism.

Thank you for bringing this sword to my attention. It was very interesting.

Attachment: 171.1 KB
[ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: