Go to page Previous  1, 2

That's beautiful!!! You did amazing work with that. Really like the detail on the grip and guard/pommel pieces!
Thanks!

Looking back, while the mahogany is inherently beautiful once oiled, my relief carving is still very primitive. There's really no comparison with Petr's, so if I do something like this again, I'll have to study the Saxon art style more seriously. Another good idea that is only just occurring to me would've been to grind the spine flat.
Dan D'Silva wrote:
Thanks!

Looking back, while the mahogany is inherently beautiful once oiled, my relief carving is still very primitive. There's really no comparison with Petr's, so if I do something like this again, I'll have to study the Saxon art style more seriously. Another good idea that is only just occurring to me would've been to grind the spine flat.

You still did an excellent job, however - not everyone can be Petr.... :-)

In any event, you plainly have the carving skills to pull it off. As you said, it's more a matter of closer study of the original art styles. Even as is only another expert in the field of Anglo Saxon or Early Medieval Scandinavian art would be in a position to nitpick your work - otherwise, even to those like me who have a keen interest and have studied the styles, though are not expert, as such, it looks really good.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: