Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about First sword purchase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Erik Youn

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Question about First sword purchase         Reply with quote

So My question is what are the quality of swords from the Wulfhund website? I was looking at there SKOFNUNG, viking sword.
I don't consider the asking price overly cheap, but I also realize its not an Albion.
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dont know much about viking swords, but Ive taken a look at the SKOFNUNG sword and I can tell you right away, that the edge geometrie of the blade is not very good.

As you can see the blade is pretty flat and it has a huge secondary bevel, which results in very bad cutting chararcteristics.
Therefore I wouldnt advice you to purchase this sword, if you are intending to do lots of cutting with it.

Also the guard-fit and the leather stitching is not done all that well.

I think for the price of 460€ there are better options out there.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Markus has summed it up pretty well. It doesn't look like a sword that should be 460€. There is no information on distal taper, which I would absolutely expect at that price, and the handle also looks rather long for the type.
I know that the pictures on their website are a few years old, current iterations might be better, exactly the same, or even worse.

For a slightly higher price, still around 500€, I would recommend commissioning a piece from Vladimir Cervenka, another Czech blacksmith. Here's his website, even if it's really old: http://www.sword.cz
Pretty sure it'll take at least half a year until it's done, though.

Edit: Actually, since you're in the US, you need to consider that shipping and import will be rather pricey if a EU-based maker doesn't deduct VAT from the price for you. You might easily get into the lower end of the price category of Albion, Tinker or Valiant Armory.
You could consider available pieces over at www.kultofathena.com
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is an Albion squire line clontarf for sale for a similar price right now at SBG. It's the best of their squire line Vikings.
Erik Youn

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johannes Zenker wrote:
Markus has summed it up pretty well. It doesn't look like a sword that should be 460€. There is no information on distal taper, which I would absolutely expect at that price, and the handle also looks rather long for the type.
I know that the pictures on their website are a few years old, current iterations might be better, exactly the same, or even worse.

For a slightly higher price, still around 500€, I would recommend commissioning a piece from Vladimir Cervenka, another Czech blacksmith. Here's his website, even if it's really old: http://www.sword.cz
Pretty sure it'll take at least half a year until it's done, though.

Edit: Actually, since you're in the US, you need to consider that shipping and import will be rather pricey if a EU-based maker doesn't deduct VAT from the price for you. You might easily get into the lower end of the price category of Albion, Tinker or Valiant Armory.
You could consider available pieces over at www.kultofathena.com

So it seems like custom is the way to go. What about scabbards.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
There is an Albion squire line clontarf for sale for a similar price right now at SBG. It's the best of their squire line Vikings.

This is probably the best deal in terms when it comes to a viking sword in terms of value per money, if you're in the states. I wouldn't want to wait for an Albion to be made currently, but if it's available, that's a really good deal.

As for scabbards: for aforementioned Albion you'd have to either make it yourself (not a terribly difficult task, depending on your approach an available tools) or commission it from people and companies like DBK or Christian Fletcher, although you can probably get a simpler one quite a bit cheaper than their usual rates.

Vladimir Cervenka can provide a leather sheath for a moderate price, don't know about wood-cored scabbards.
Erik Youn

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone attest to the quality of Vladimir Cervenkas swords? I got a price list from him.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://myArmoury.com/reviews.html
i would happily buy one,

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about First sword purchase
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic