18th/19th century sword repro makers?
Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying (and failing) to find a high-quality maker that specializes or at least has experience with 18th/19th century swords/sabres. Mostly of British and French origin. At the moment, specifically the "Wilkinson pattern", so British 1845P.

The reason is simple, I've been collecting antiques for some time now and I'm looking for sharp and functional repros to accompany my original pieces in order to use for test cutting practice.

Most of my replicas are of swords from the middle ages, so I know good makers working with that era but not many focusing on younger swords.

I've been wondering whether someone here knows someone? Ideally someone that can ship sharpened and is located in EU.

Here are bigger makers I already tried contacting:

Pooley's - they mostly focus on ceremonial stuff
WKC - similar to Pooley's + their e-mail address just doesn't work
Cold Steel - not providing the types I'm interested in
Windlass - a possibility but I haven't heard good things about them in the past, at least when it comes to medieval stuff

I've also tried to look around local makers here in Czech republic but no luck.

Will appreciate any help you can provide :)

Thanks!
Hi Viliam,

Depending on the type of test cutting you want to do, you're probably best off sticking with original antiques. As I'm sure you know these are still available in perfectly functional condition - certainly the 1845P you mention.

Reproductions of comparable quality do not exist as far as I'm aware, probably because they would cost significantly more to produce than antiques sell for.

A
Hi Viliam,

Jindřich Figura has experience with sabers in general. At the moment he is making me a copy of a British line officer's sword of the early 19th century.

You might also check with Nielo Swords, also in Czechia.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the answers :)

Adam Simmonds wrote:
Hi Viliam,

Depending on the type of test cutting you want to do, you're probably best off sticking with original antiques. As I'm sure you know these are still available in perfectly functional condition - certainly the 1845P you mention.

Reproductions of comparable quality do not exist as far as I'm aware, probably because they would cost significantly more to produce than antiques sell for.

A

The issue is, the piece I have is an infantry officer's and I don't think it was ever sharpened aside from some basic edge. Another thing is that since it's a Wilkinson I know the owner and have a bit of a bio of his, so it holds additional value because of it.

And the topic of sharpening an antique is of course a bit of a heresy to most collectors I know. Though I won't say I wasn't tempted. Nothing would ever compare to cutting with an original I think.

Ian Hutchison wrote:

Hi Viliam,

Jindřich Figura has experience with sabers in general. At the moment he is making me a copy of a British line officer's sword of the early 19th century.

You might also check with Nielo Swords, also in Czechia.

Thanks, I'll try to contact Figura, I know of him, just wasn't aware that he does younger swords too.

When it comes to Nielo Sword, I've heard about them too but I don't know anyone that owns anything made by them which I considered quite weird. I assumed that they do better looking wall hangers but I would be glad to find out the opposite. It is possible that I don't know them simply because they focus more on the international market.

V.[/quote]
The problem with the market for 18th/19th century repros is that there are too many originals still floating around. With medieval swords, there are relatively few and most of them are in pretty poor condition, so most collectors are really only able to pick up reproductions. By contrast, when you're looking at sword patterns which were mass produced for grand armies, there are just so many that it's hard for a good swordsmith to make a living in the business. Once you're past the bottom end of the market, like Windlass and Cold Steel, it's generally possible to buy a real antique.
Viliam Fiedler wrote:

The issue is, the piece I have is an infantry officer's and I don't think it was ever sharpened aside from some basic edge. Another thing is that since it's a Wilkinson I know the owner and have a bit of a bio of his, so it holds additional value because of it.

And the topic of sharpening an antique is of course a bit of a heresy to most collectors I know. Though I won't say I wasn't tempted. Nothing would ever compare to cutting with an original I think.
V.

Hi Viliam,

To be clear I wasn't suggesting that you should necessarily use whatever you currently own for test cutting, I was just suggesting that obtaining an antique for the job might in fact be more practical than finding a suitable reproduction.

T. Kew wrote:

The problem with the market for 18th/19th century repros is that there are too many originals still floating around.

This seems a good problem to have and is one that I am glad persists!
Viliam, you might want to get in contact with Matt Easton since one of his businesses is buying and selling swords and he does buy and sell original European 18th & 19th century period swords of the period you are looking at.

He might be able to find a specific sword you are looking for, or suggest one that he has in stock for sale, or one he could try to find for you.

He might be able to find a " using " antique that is not so pristine in condition, already service sharpened in period or later, so not a collectable that should be just displayed and not used in any way that might make it lose it's historical value ?

Such a sword could be re-sharpened if not as sharp as you want without it devaluing it as an antique.
I would still avoid any abusive testing, but if the sword and sword guard and handle are structurally sound, you could do test cutting on appropriate targets.

Links to his site(s): The first being his Antique sales site.

https://www.antique-swords.co.uk

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt14YOvYhd5FCGCwcjhrOdA

Wed site Home Page: https://www.matt-easton.co.uk

Hope that this is helpful. :D
Obtaining a cheaper antique with an edge that could be used for this haven't occurred to me, so thanks for the idea :)

I do know Matt as I already have one cavalry sword from him, so I'll try contacting him regarding this in the near future. Thanks for the tips

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: