Proto Maximilian Armour (Schott-Sonnenberg armour)
Hi,
I found this armour in the Germanisches National Museum in Nürnberg. Does anybody know if this is a complete half harness or a composite Armour? I don't think the helmet, for example, is original to the harness.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Cheers
CTP
https://christianthepagan.blogspot.com

Attachment: 44.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 33.9 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 37.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 40.2 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Kristjan Runarsson on Mon 11 Jan, 2021 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
There is another similar one in the Glasgow Museum. I'm pretty sure the cross is not original, probably added much later and I'm skeptical of the blackening.

Then there is the Sonnenberg armour from the Hofjagd und Rüstkammer. This one in known not to be a composite AFAIK and has a helmet that fits the gorget.:

[ Linked Image ]

Cheers
CTP
https://christianthepagan.blogspot.com

Attachment: 84.58 KB
A_1976_27_k_01_S.jpg

Attachment: 101.02 KB
[ Download ]
I just noticed the little upside down T shaped hole on the right bottom of the gorget. That tells us one of two things; this was one of those gorgets that have the little shoulder cup extensions, or it was part of an Almayne collar. Can't see the turned edge well enough to rule out late filed roping. Wait, I do have a photo that shows... filed roping, This gorget does not belong with the earlier elements.

Attachment: 44 KB
Nurn early Max plain cr.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: