Indo-Persian Karabela by Jindrich Figura
I've had a growing interest in Indo-Persian arms and armor over the past year or so; as part of my efforts to expand my collection in that direction, I contacted Jindřich Figura to discuss making a karabela saber with a guard of a type that was popular throughout western Asia, and copied as far off as Poland.

I selected a blade form which he had made before, and suggested mating it to the hilt from another historic example. I didn't specify any detailed requirements, I left it all up to Jindřich since I felt confident after seeing his previous works. After we agreed on the overall design, he told me it would take about 6 months to deliver, and was right on the ball with his estimate.

The sword I received has fully met my expectations. The fit and finish is very clean, and it handles wonderfully. I would describe the balance as neither tip, nor hilt heavy, having a slight preference for the tip. I was worried that the decorative studs might rub on the hand, but they really don't seem to be an issue. If I was to make one nit-pick, which is no-ones fault but my genetics, the grip is bordering on too wide for my short sausage fingers. It is still perfectly usable but if it were only slightly wider, it would start to be a nuisance. There is a 'ding' on the bottom of one of the wooden grip panels, I assume from shipping, but some fine sandpaper and oil will take care of that.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Jindřich for anyone looking for custom work, especially with sabers, and intend to place further orders in the future.

Stats;
Mass: 911g
Overall length: 94cm
Grip length: 12cm

Thickness at;
base: 6.5mm
1/4: 5.5mm
2/4: 4.8mm
3/4: 4.5mm
last ~10cm: 2.5mm - 2mm

Blade width at;
base: 36mm
mid: 30mm
last ~10cm: 38mm

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Beautiful, just beautiful. I really like the simple yet very elegant lines. Takes
nothing away from appearing every bit as formidable as history dictated such
sabers were.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Beautiful, just beautiful. I really like the simple yet very elegant lines. Takes
nothing away from appearing every bit as formidable as history dictated such
sabers were.

Thanks Matthew, I am also quite pleased with the execution. It looks well-made with care, without looking dressed up.
Hello
Does he have a web site?
Regards
Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
Does he have a web site?
Regards

He sure does, it's:

http://lightswords.cz/
The whole sabre is gorgeous, I like the nice clean lines, but I really am impressed by the attractive and what seems like near perfect multiple fullers that must have been difficult to grind when one considers that one slip during grinding could really mess up any one of the fullers.

Apart from the technical skills needed to grind the fullers, the fullers and the blade in general are very beautiful.
I echo Jean’s thoughts! A beautiful and well executed design! I love ‘hatchet tip’, double-fuller blades, and that less-common hilt just boosts it up to an even higher level of WOW!

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing more about your Indo-Persion foray.
Thanks for the kind words, Jindrich really did a nice job. I am trying to start a second commission now, I've been waiting for someone who understood sabers well to realize a few projects.

Gregg, if you'd like to see some of my other recent acquisitions, you can check my threads on my orders from Taksali Kirpan. I've got more stuff coming from Bikramjit Singh as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: