Behmer type hilt question?
Hey myArmoury,

I’m just wondering if anyone could elaborate as to what behmer type migration era sword hilt number began using different solid metal pieces for its sandwich construction instead of wood or horn, say iron or bronze?

My guess is behmer type 8, 9?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Barrett

Attachment: 167.57 KB
[ Download ]
There are Behmer Type VI examples from Vendel/Valsgarde with this type of construction. See also the Anglo Saxon partial hilt from Fetter Lane (not sure which Behmer type that is off hand, though.)
As far as I know, the seemingly solid Vendel swords are actually wood, covered by metal panels.

So as far as Behmer types go, I would for type 9,which is somewhat analogue to Petersen's types A, 1 and 2, and which starts appearing around 700-750.
Paul,

Thanks so much for the reply. Any way you can link some examples? Been looking, barely found anything.

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
Barrett Hiebert wrote:
Any way you can link some examples? Been looking, barely found anything.

Are you looking for Behmer type 9, or Petersen type A, 1 or 2?
Paul,

Behmer type 9. Please and thanks.

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
Here you go.

Tafel LXII - LXIV are type IX.

Attachment: 123.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 111.76 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 100.41 KB
[ Download ]
And here are some further all-metal hilted swords from types VI and VIII but in my opinion they are wrongly classified. They should be classified according to Petersen as they belong to the Viking Age and not to the Migration Age. In my opinion.

Attachment: 116.96 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 121.38 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 114.88 KB
[ Download ]
Paul,

Thanks for the pictures. Though do you know of any recreations of the behmer type 9 hilt for just before the Viking age? Having trouble finding modern recreations to see clearly without corrosion what the hilts should look like.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
Well, Patrick Barta's swords 166 and 155 belong to the period immediately before the Viking Age but they are not Behmer Type 9. I'm not familiar with other reproductions of the type.

http://templ.net/english/weapons-antiquity_an...php[/list]
Paul,

Do you have the providence, dating or the work that lists the first image of your metal hilts that should be classified by Petersen typology?

Another way: do you have any more information about the pieces depicted here http://myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=65888
Kai Lawson wrote:
Another way: do you have any more information about the pieces depicted here http://myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=65888

Here you go, see attachments.

Sword tafel LIII.2 is also decribed in detail in Pierce's Swords of the Viking Age, where it is listed as Petersen distinctive type 1. It's presently in the Nationalmuseet, inv.no. C3118. A very similar sword is C20317 from Universitetets Oldsaksamling, Oslo.

Attachment: 77.69 KB
Behmer type VI 202.jpg

Attachment: 100.98 KB
Behmer type VI 203.jpg

Attachment: 77.94 KB
Behmer type VI 213.jpg

Paul--

Thank you. That all metal hilt with the 3 central section grip in that first photo is gorgeous. I want to see it replicated.
Kai Lawson wrote:
Paul--

Thank you. That all metal hilt with the 3 central section grip in that first photo is gorgeous. I want to see it replicated.

You're welcome!

One thing to remember when looking at photo's from Behmer: they were taken in the 1930's and are as displayed in the musea at that time. In several cases that's good because some swords badly deteriorated in the period around WW2. But also several swords pictured have been later re-assembled in different ways due to evolving understanding of how they must have looked originally.

For instance, some swords are depicted with crossguards, which actually turned out to be scabbard mouths. Or with pommels which turned out to be sword beads. Etc.

The grip of sword Tafel LIII.3b for instance also seems suspicious to me. It may not be a grip at all. So if you would like to have something replicated, you'll need to find more sources than just Behmer, and preferably go to see the sword yourself, see how it is in it's current state and then form your opinion.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: