This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy birthday Patrick!

Beautiful dagger!
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice set you have there.

I aspire to own a Johnsson original piece someday. We'll see if that ever happens. Happy
Arne G.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Arne G. wrote:
How does the A&A version of this type of dagger compare with Peter's?

No criticism toward A&A, but that's really like comparing a Ford F150 to a Ferrari Testarossa (or whatever analogy car guys like to use). The A&A lacks much of the subtle shaping present in Peters example. However, the A&A is a solid entry at its price point and one I'd recommend. I won't comment on the price of the PJ, except to say, if you're going to climb that high you'd better take some oxygen. Happy The A&A offering is made to a price point in order to be a competitive product and I think it succeeds. This dagger is a one off, made by a master smith with an eye towards execution of fine detail and authenticity, without the concerns of affordability and repeatability in a production environment. They both succeed in their intent, but they're really two different things.

I'm curious about the "subtle shaping" you mention. Could you elaborate? I'm aware of at least some of the production short cuts taken by A&A - for example, the use of a threaded nut to compress the hilt assembly which is then peened. While the purist in me snubs its nose, having reworked a couple of older A&A pieces I can certainly appreciate the ease which it brings to the assembly process!

I suspect at least part of it is having a reinforced tip - there is an example up for sale on the classifieds here for an arming sword with this feature - and I believe that is a detail often, if not invariably, missed in most reproductions today. There are a lot of small but important details such as those that go missing, since they seem to be unpublished. I'd dearly love to see Peter Johnsson or Tobias Capwell publish a book dedicated to Medieval daggers that, in addition to the hilt types and variations, goes into the subtle details of the blade form and so forth.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne G. wrote:

I'm curious about the "subtle shaping" you mention. Could you elaborate? I'm aware of at least some of the production short cuts taken by A&A - for example, the use of a threaded nut to compress the hilt assembly which is then peened. While the purist in me snubs its nose, having reworked a couple of older A&A pieces I can certainly appreciate the ease which it brings to the assembly process!

I suspect at least part of it is having a reinforced tip - there is an example up for sale on the classifieds here for an arming sword with this feature - and I believe that is a detail often, if not invariably, missed in most reproductions today. There are a lot of small but important details such as those that go missing, since they seem to be unpublished. I'd dearly love to see Peter Johnsson or Tobias Capwell publish a book dedicated to Medieval daggers that, in addition to the hilt types and variations, goes into the subtle details of the blade form and so forth.

Compare the A&A dagger here to the photos above.

The pommel on the A&A dagger is perfect circle and lacks the subtle oval shape of the Johnsson , or the original.

The guard on the A&A is far more blocky than the Johnsson and lacks the latters more elegant shaping.

The A&As fuller is a simple pencil fuller machined down the blade's center line, lacking the graceful shape and matching profile of the Johnsson.

As shown, the grip treatment on the A&A offering is far more basic and less detailed. The A&A's blade is ground from stock and the hilt components are investment cast, compared to the forged nature of the Johnsson.

None of this results in a bad product, but rather a product built to a price point, with concerns towards repeatability and production time. For the stated $350.00 I think the A&A is a nice piece.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 14 Dec, 2020 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Happy birthday Patrick!

Beautiful dagger!

Thank you Paul. It was a nice treat and I breathed a sigh of relief when it arrived unmolested. The Tod Dagger that was supposed to be my B-day present is sitting in purgatory at the PO's International Shipping Center in Chicago, a place commonly known as "where packages go to die". Given the facilities track record it might be here by next Christmas. Happy.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael P. Smith wrote:
Really nice set you have there.

I aspire to own a Johnsson original piece someday. We'll see if that ever happens. Happy

It only took me twenty years to acquire these two, so patience. Happy

Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I down-loaded Peter's photos of the original, and I plan to make of these for myself. It's a beauty.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the acquisition! There's four makers I want to acquire pieces from. Vince Evans (been very fortunate there) Peter Johhnson, Patrick Barta and Jacob Powning (foolishly let my Powning piece go years ago.) So far I'm 1 for 4 and a bit green with envy! I'm really excited for you!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Congratulations on the acquisition! There's four makers I want to acquire pieces from. Vince Evans (been very fortunate there) Peter Johhnson, Patrick Barta and Jacob Powning (foolishly let my Powning piece go years ago.) So far I'm 1 for 4 and a bit green with envy! I'm really excited for you!

Thanks Russ,

I've always had much the same list. I've owned a couple of Evan's and a Barta, wish I'd kept the Barta. I doubt I'll ever own a Powning, but I love his work. I'll have to make do with two Johnssons. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Dagger by Peter Johnsson.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: