Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Dagger by Peter Johnsson. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: A Dagger by Peter Johnsson.         Reply with quote

Everyone has seen this before, but I'm very excited to add it to my collection so you'll have to put up with a few photos. Happy

Ten years ago, Peter made this for Nathan Robinson. I always thought it would make a perfect companion for my sword, which Peter made nearly twenty years ago and I still think it does. As with many, if not most medieval daggers, it has a petite and almost fragile look about it. However, once in hand one realizes its robust construction. Original antiques always seem surprisingly fragile when compared to most modern replicas. They're not, but this is due entirely to comparing them to modern substandard recreations. Modern swords have seen much improvement in this regard, but daggers in general still lag behind in capturing the true spirit of the originals. Peters work always captures these nuances perfectly. I've always been impressed with the sense of proportional balance his work exhibits. All of the elements flow together in perfect harmony. I don't always see this in the work of others, even some who are quite skilled and highly regarded.

Thanks to Nathan for giving me the opportunity to acquire a piece that's been on my mind for a decade.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sat 12 Dec, 2020 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful dagger, I understand most cross hilt daggers were just mini swords? Was it also common for scabbards to not have chapes?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’ve always loved that piece. Congrats!
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
Beautiful dagger, I understand most cross hilt daggers were just mini swords? Was it also common for scabbards to not have chapes?

I wouldn't regard them as "Mini-swords", the geometry involved is quite different. Back in the '80's and early '90's, when knife makers started to try their hand at sword making they made that mistake. They typically took what they knew of knife making and translated it into sword making. What they wound up with was usually a ten pound knife. The overall proportion and geometry is something else entirely its own, despite any similarity in outward appearance.

Considering period sources and what surviving examples that are available for study, I'd say the lack of a chape was not uncommon in the period represented here.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I’ve always loved that piece. Congrats!

Thanks I'm pretty stoked about it and it arrived on the day before my birthday!

The Tod Dagger that was supposed to be my B-day present from my wife is stuck in the PO's ISC in Chicago. The facility widely known as, "The place where packages go to die". It might be here by next Xmas, so at least this one arrived in a timely manner.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Patrick. That is a very nice companion piece to your sword, they look great in the picture together. Let me just say that you are a very lucky man to now own two pieces by Peter.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Congratulations Patrick. That is a very nice companion piece to your sword, they look great in the picture together. Let me just say that you are a very lucky man to now own two pieces by Peter.

Thanks, an embarrassment of riches indeed.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hated letting this one go but 2020 has been a terrible year and Patrick was there to help me out. The dagger couldn't have gone to a better person. I would have dreaded for this to go to anyone other than him. He is the perfect person to appreciate the exceptional characteristics exhibited in the piece, particularly how it captures the difficult to describe nuances of antiques. It's a remarkable piece as are all of Peter's creations.

I'm really glad you got it, Patrick and I hope you'll enjoy it. Happy birthday!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I hated letting this one go but 2020 has been a terrible year and Patrick was there to help me out. The dagger couldn't have gone to a better person. I would have dreaded for this to go to anyone other than him. He is the perfect person to appreciate the exceptional characteristics exhibited in the piece, particularly how it captures the difficult to describe nuances of antiques. It's a remarkable piece as are all of Peter's creations.

I'm really glad you got it, Patrick and I hope you'll enjoy it. Happy birthday!

Thank you Nathan, your kind words are truly appreciated. I hope the money helps you out in at least some small way. I have so many friends who are really struggling in the current environment that it made me feel a bit guilty to be able to make a purchase like this. On the other hand, this dagger really struck a chord with me and it's been on my mind all these years. I couldn't pass it up.

55 years old tomorrow and officially a senior, oh my!

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very nice looking dagger. The thickness of the point is just flat intimidating.

That is also a very nice looking hat. My first guess would be Stetson Saxon (partially because that is my hat of choice), but knowing how tall you are, I suspect that brim is actually a bit wider than it appears at first.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
That is a very nice looking dagger. The thickness of the point is just flat intimidating.

That is also a very nice looking hat. My first guess would be Stetson Saxon (partially because that is my hat of choice), but knowing how tall you are, I suspect that brim is actually a bit wider than it appears at first.

Thanks Greyson, the point is definitely stout.

You're half correct, Stetson Temple. Having had a hat as mandatory wear for my entire professional life, I never was enthused about them on my own time. Then, early last summer I got one heck of a sun burn on my bald head and that was that. Now, regardless of the climate I never go out without one.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:

Thanks Greyson, the point is definitely stout.

You're half correct, Stetson Temple. Having had a hat as mandatory wear for my entire professional life, I never was enthused about them on my own time. Then, early last summer I got one heck of a sun burn on my bald head and that was that. Now, regardless of the climate I never go out without one.

I agree since I started shaving my head around 2010 I want to use a hat in Summer for the Sun and in Winter for the cold.

A good Indiana Jones fedora for shade and in Winter what we call in Canada a " Tuque " which I guess is called a watch cap in other places.

Patrick, well 55 years old ! Happy birthday, but I just turned 71 a few days ago so I think of 55 as being when I was young .... Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and nice dagger, glad you got it and that buying it from Nathan was helpful for him considering that it seems that it's been a bad year for him with no income !

Like Nathan wrote, it's a plus that he found a good home for it even if it's a bit sad that he had to part with it.

Best wishes.
Jean

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:

Edward, as Patrick said, it’s a little more complicated than them being mini swords. Quillon daggers seem to get less press than other forms. Like other dagger forms, they range in size and decoration. Some are pretty small (9-12 inches overall), while some are large like the one here or even bigger. During the medieval era, they seem less likely to be made as a set with a sword. In the Renaissance, though, we see a decent amount of daggers made to match a sword. Wheel pommels exist, as do cross-shaped ones, scalloped round shapes, polygonal (like hexagonal) pommels, lozenge shapes and others. Some of the pommel shapes found on quillon daggers are never (or at least are very rarely) found on swords. Some pommel forms found on swords don’t seem to be found on daggers either.

I could probably go on for a while, but won’t. Happy I’ve had several different examples of quillon daggers in my collection through the years. I like them quite a bit!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy birthday, Patrick. Congratulations on that dagger; it's a truly beautiful piece of art.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember that one, and I'm jealous.. In the unlikely event you ever want to part with it, I have more money than good sense. Big Grin Happy birthday!
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How does the A&A version of this type of dagger compare with Peter's?
Abe Zettek

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, have a happy birthday! Happy
What an awesome reproduction - it is one from Nathan's collection I have always really admired on here; glad to see it go to another appreciative person. Peter's work is fantastic...
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne G. wrote:
How does the A&A version of this type of dagger compare with Peter's?

No criticism toward A&A, but that's really like comparing a Ford F150 to a Ferrari Testarossa (or whatever analogy car guys like to use). The A&A lacks much of the subtle shaping present in Peters example. However, the A&A is a solid entry at its price point and one I'd recommend. I won't comment on the price of the PJ, except to say, if you're going to climb that high you'd better take some oxygen. Happy The A&A offering is made to a price point in order to be a competitive product and I think it succeeds. This dagger is a one off, made by a master smith with an eye towards execution of fine detail and authenticity, without the concerns of affordability and repeatability in a production environment. They both succeed in their intent, but they're really two different things.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
I remember that one, and I'm jealous.. In the unlikely event you ever want to part with it, I have more money than good sense. Big Grin Happy birthday!

Well, it only took Nathan ten years to let it go. At that rate, just let me know which nursing home to send it to when the time comes, Happy

Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Joe Maccarrone wrote:

Well, it only took Nathan ten years to let it go. At that rate, just let me know which nursing home to send it to when the time comes, Happy

Between the blades and the guns I expect to be banned from all nursing homes. Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Dagger by Peter Johnsson.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: