myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > USPS delays of late? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: USPS         Reply with quote

In addition to Jeremy's sword, mentioned above, we have started to see problems across USPS and even a few other shippers. Over the years all have failed on a package or two over time and we have had to deal with the results. The current situation is different. I went and checked things yesterday and we have had delays and have more things stuck in route then we have ever had. I suspect other businesses are feeling the same. It's quite frustrating as the reliability and efficiency of our delivery systems is one of the rails our economy runs on. All we are left to do is apologize to the customer for the problem.

The UPS rep came in two days ago with a new delivery time map. Almost the entire country is listed as faster normal shipping. He said their stated goal is to get to a three day shipping time across the country. He did not know if this will cost more.

We strive to make shipping work for the customer in the best way possible, weather that's a particular carrier, time frame or finding the most economical option possible. Sadly this is getting harder and harder these days.

Craig
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
I currently have two packages 'in transit' at the distribution center in Elk Grove, IL since the beginning of August. It's quite ridiculous.

Do you have a case open with them? If so; have they contacted you and what are they telling you?

I still haven't heard anything from USPS.

It's unfortunate because I support the USPS and am sympathetic to the challenges they are facing due to the virus and cut-backs.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ordered a Bowie knife from Tod Cutler about a week ago. Tracking shows it is in a sorting facility and should be heading for
me right away. How long it will take to get to NC from CT is another matter entirely. For about four days there was no tracking information, whatever that might mean and I just got an update last night then again this morning.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: USPS delays of late?         Reply with quote

Apologize for being off the subject, just another problem of dealing with USPS, their carelessness .

Have not experienced any significant delays in service for quite some time. However, recently sent a sword from CA to NY via USPS. Timing was fine, but sword was damaged badly, despite being in a wood core scabbard, taped to light plywood and wrapped in card board. Scabbard and sword both sustained a bend of about 30 degrees, about 3/4 down from the cross.

Dan
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Ian Hutchison wrote:
I currently have two packages 'in transit' at the distribution center in Elk Grove, IL since the beginning of August. It's quite ridiculous.

Do you have a case open with them? If so; have they contacted you and what are they telling you?

I still haven't heard anything from USPS.

It's unfortunate because I support the USPS and am sympathetic to the challenges they are facing due to the virus and cut-backs.

I submitted a request for them to investigate a few days ago through their online form (which took several attempts as it timed out and failed to fully load a few times). I have not heard anything yet.

It adds to the frustration that they do everything in their power to prevent you reaching a human being directly. It was quite the run around to find the correct support form.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I live in a rural region of West Virginia. Mail is taking about 3 weeks to reach us.

I have not received any mail in the past 5 days. They have not picked up our outgoing mail, either. Mail service seems to have completely ceased.
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another tangent: for those in the UK, what are your thoughts on the privatization of the Royal Mail? It's been how long now, about a decade? How has it worked out?

USPS has been slow and sloppy for many years, and needs a major shakeup...
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:

In the past 50 years, I have rarely had any problems with the U.S. Postal Service -- until this month.

On the other hand, my problems over the decades with UPS and Fed Ex are maddening. They rarely get anything delivered on time, and they always leave my packages somewhere in town besides my home. UPS always tells me that they delivered the package and it is not their responsibility to tell me they delivered it. A week later, someone shows up at my house with my package that UPS dropped off across town on their door step. This is a weekly event around here (wife unit has an Amazon dependency issue).

UPS is so bad that I had been using USPS almost exclusively, and Fed Ex when the package is too large or too heavy for USPS.

The prices are also maddening. I've shipped packages to Canada via USPS for $40 - 3 day service - that would have cost me $155 with Fed Ex or UPS (7 day service).

I'll take the old U.S. Postal Service over any other carrier, and day. Until now. The new "improvements" at the USPS are designed only to shift business to the for-profit and expensive private sector, not to serve America.
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Joe Maccarrone wrote:

In the past 50 years, I have rarely had any problems with the U.S. Postal Service -- until this month.

USPS has been really struggling about the past 10 years in my experience, here in the seattle area. I get mail belonging to other people about 3 times a month -- sometimes neighbors, but sometimes not even from the same city! It makes me wonder how much of my mail goes elsewhere. Package delivery is spotty -- sometimes quick, sometimes slow, sometimes damaged.

UPS has been fantastic for me around here; they are my shipper of choice, when I have a choice. Their employees are consistently professional. Fed Ex, not so much... I've had some bad experiences. I try to deal with their local depot, who have been very good -- unlike some of their drivers.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a USPS package that was sent back to Jerseys because the usps delivery claimed the box had "no address label" on it.
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another example of USPS stoopid...

I have a small item coming to me in Cali from the Phoenix area. It shipped Wednesday. I find out today that it is now being processed in ALBUQUERQUE, which is in the total opposite direction some 336 miles by air and 464 miles by truck, following the I-40 route (about a 6.5 hour drive non-stop).

Frakkin' insane.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my knife from Tod Cutler on Friday, 8-28. He shipped it on 8-17. The knife, once it cleared customs, was in transit for three days. I have no complaints about the shipping time to me by USPS but clearly other folks do. All I can report is my personal experience.

I really like the knife and will order from them again in the near future.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I finally got my sword from A&A.

The packaging was not damaged in any way. I believe it was just held up in my local distribution office.

I support the USPS and believe many of their current problems are due to forced cutbacks and Covid.

I will use them again.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

USPS package Indiana to Seattle: 3 days
Small package Norway to Seattle: 35 days
Small package (t-shirt) Royal Airmail UK to Seattle: 66 days
Package with bottle of rum (which broke!) and a t-shirt Netherlands to Seattle: 79 days
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By way of comparison, I just had some swords sent via FedEx from India. Amritsar to Louisiana in 3 days.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my stuff two days ago after a long delay. USPS thought it was still in Chicago according to their tracking system, so it all ended up being a pleasant surprise.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Thu 03 Sep, 2020 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Several years ago, I was going to Hawaii for a month. To save on hauling a lot of luggage, I shipped a large box of my scuba gear to my friend on the Big Island. I shipped the gear via USPS Priority Mail about 2 weeks before departure from the Pittsburgh area.

My box of scuba gear arrived in Hawaii 3 months later. The USPS said "read the fine print" regarding Priority Mail delivery times.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a quick plug for USPS.

I had an expensive item sent from the UK on September 16th through Parcelforce then USPS. It spent about 9 days in the UK and then just 2 in the US before arriving at my door.

I was very pleasantly surprised.
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Just a quick plug for USPS.

I had an expensive item sent from the UK on September 16th through Parcelforce then USPS. It spent about 9 days in the UK and then just 2 in the US before arriving at my door.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yes, they may be getting their house back in order. I had a minor package arrive yesterday that was originally projected for a Monday delivery.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have had a great deal of trouble with USPS of late with many parcels getting delayed.

However it is important to note that these are delays, not losses. They do get there but just slowly.

After some research on our end we have discovered that there two main import hubs from the UK (and presumably the rest of Europe) into the US for USPS and these were in I think Florida somewhere and the other was Chicago. Parcels going through Chicago are the ones suffering the delays on the whole, but as I said they do get there.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > USPS delays of late?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: