When did you get your first arms and armour collection piece?
I haven't started my collection yet
19%
 19%  [ 122 ]
Within the last year
13%
 13%  [ 84 ]
Just two years ago
6%
 6%  [ 40 ]
Three or four years ago
9%
 9%  [ 59 ]
More than five years ago, but less than 10
10%
 10%  [ 69 ]
At least 10 years ago
20%
 20%  [ 131 ]
I'm an old-timer: more than 20 years ago!
20%
 20%  [ 133 ]
Total Votes : 638

Aug 26: myArmoury.com news and updates
Today's update:

This update marks our 12 year anniversary. We officially launched on August 25th, 2003.

Our thanks goes out to all of the wonderful members who have made this community so strong.

[ Linked Image ]
A Visitor's Experience: The Metropolitan Museum of Art
An article by Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Davis Reproductions Notation Knife
A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Davis Reproductions Ballock Dagger and By-Knife

[ Linked Image ]
Tod's Stuff Dragon Warhammer

[ Linked Image ]
English Cutler 13th Century Eating Knife

[ Linked Image ]
Davis Reproductions Notation Knife
Added to Chad's Collection

[ Linked Image ]
Davis Reproductions Ballock Dagger and By-Knife

[ Linked Image ]
Tod's Stuff Dragon Warhammer

[ Linked Image ]
English Cutler 13th Century Eating Knife

And please visit us on Facebook where we share more content on a regular basis.

[ Linked Image ]

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Nice to see some new content. The Davis Reproductions stuff looks great. Nice to have links to their Facebook. Too bad their web domain has expired and their site is down (at least that's what comes back for me).
Joe Fults wrote:
Nice to see some new content. The Davis Reproductions stuff looks great. Nice to have links to their Facebook. Too bad their web domain has expired and their site is down (at least that's what comes back for me).

Joe,
I agree it's nice to see content flowing again. Remember when we used to publish every two weeks? :) While regular, scheduled updates are hard to do with everyone's personal workloads, I think it would be great to get back to more frequent updates.

Josh's stuff is great. I do hope he resolves the domain issue soon. He's quite talented and a web presence will be great to have.
Chad Arnow wrote:
I agree it's nice to see content flowing again. Remember when we used to publish every two weeks?

The first year saw updates every week and then it was every two weeks for years and years.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
The first year saw updates every week and then it was every two weeks for years and years.

That was crazy. :) Here's a numerical snapshot of these 12 years:

152: Feature Articles and Wallpapers
249: Hand-on Reviews
277: Collection Gallery Pages

That's 678 pages in 12 years, or an average of almost 57 pieces of content per year.
Wow Chad, you should take a bow for single-handedly keeping these excellent articles going. I've followed most of your recent collecting, but there are some here I haven't seen. All beautiful pieces.

Nathan of course should also take a bow for keeping myArmoury going and having such a clean vision for reviews like this to have such great content.

Nice poll question by the way. I don't think of myself often as an old-timer, but it's true, my first piece was an A&A dagger from a ren faire 20 years ago. I still have the second one I bought the following year. I started visiting the features and collections pages here 13 years ago but did not venture into the forums until more recently. I'm glad I have done so.
I love the Notation Knife, what a unique piece. Congrats on twelve years!
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I love the Notation Knife, what a unique piece. Congrats on twelve years!

Thanks, Patrick! It combines my passion for music with my passion for period edged things. The whole idea of hymnal cutlery is just too odd to not pursue. :)

Lots of folks (you included) have helped greatly through these dozen years. It's the community aspect that I really enjoy.
Congratulations to myArmoury as well as to Nathan and Chad for keeping this place going. Thank you to them as well as to all of those here who have helped me along my meandering journey in and out of this hobby.

Happy Anniversary!
Old Timer…

Well, if the turnshoe fits!

Congratulations and well done gentleman. :)
Chad Arnow wrote:
Thanks, Patrick! It combines my passion for music with my passion for period edged things. The whole idea of hymnal cutlery is just too odd to not pursue. :)

When I saw it I immediately thought, "That has Chad written all over it." :)
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Well, the text is in Latin, which I don't speak, so it may actually may have "Chad" written on it. :) Okay, bad joke...
Happy 12 Year Anniversary to us!

Attachment: 720.13 KB
myArmoury12YearAnniversary.png
myArmoury.com's 12 Year Anniversary
Chad Arnow wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Well, the text is in Latin, which I don't speak, so it may actually may have "Chad" written on it. :) Okay, bad joke...

Could be, might want to have that translated. I might have done it that way if it were mine. :D
Side one

Benedictio mensae

''Blessing of the table''

Quae sumpturi sumus benedicat trinus et unus

''We are about to receive the three-in-one's blessing''

Side two

Gratiarum actio

''Thanksgiving''

pro suis deus beneficiis gratias agimus tibi

''we thank you God for your benefits''

...Sorry Chad
Olivier,
I used the V&A's translation and my own limited knowledge of Latin on the blade inscriptions. I do know what it says, I was just making a bad joke. :)
Chad some nice additions to your collection and about some things I didn't even know existed like the " Notation Knives ".

I guess people needed to make their own entertainment and part of the thanks of a supper guest would be in song.

A funny thought: Young people today, if they have never read or seen any accurate history programs, probably think that the Internet always existed and that after a supper in medieval times people would retire to the T.V. room to watch DVDs or Medieval NETFLIX .... razz.

Probably even WWII or WWI history are a total mystery to many young people ?

Oh, back on Topic: I visited the Met. early in the 1970s and the arms collection seemed to be very good in those days, I wonder if it's better today in quantity and/or quality.

Many of the things at the Met. are in many of my older reference books.

The Ballock Dagger looks very good. and I also like the war hammer a great deal: Do the steel hammer and the steel spike also have reduced sized tangs going into the mass of the bronze or are they brazed along flat to flat surfaces steel to bronze? If I was designing such a hammer they would have some sort of steel extension into the bronze.
Congratulations on the Anniversary! You guys have put together an invaluable resource here, and I for one hope it’s here for many years to come.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: