Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Joerg Sprave and the magazine longbow (Instant Legolas) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before he got famous, Yuval Noah Harari published "Special Operations in the Age of Chivalry, 1100-1550" (2007) https://boydellandbrewer.com/subject/medieval-history/special-operations-in-the-age-of-chivalry-1100-1550.html I would also look into how the Chinese used the big chu-ko-nu.

Complexity is very important because in a low-tech economy, its very hard for complex devices made from expensive materials to compete with just hiring a bunch of workers. Does your would-be patron spend his money hiring master cabinet-makers and blacksmiths to make Jörg's device, or hiring master archers who know the "shoot a handful of arrows" trick?

What does your device currently weigh without the bow?

www.bookandsword.com
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for working on this fascinating project, Tod. While I believe magazine bows potentially could have been useful in medieval/Renaissance warfare, the results with Joe Gibbs in your latest video aren't particularly impressive.

Gibbs averaged an arrow roughly every 4.67 seconds with that 160lb bow, an arrow every 1.6 seconds with the 95lb SIL bow, & an every 4 seconds with the 120lb SIL bow. Shooting the 120lb SIL bow seemed more tiring for Gibbs than shooting the 160lb bow.

I assume Gibbs will shoot better with SIL bows with more practice, but I'm going with the available evidence for now. 95lbs is pretty light for military archery, especially with the mediocre performance of yew, & 120lbs is still on the lighter side. I doubt there were any historical situations where you'd want the 120lb bow shot slightly faster over the 160lb bow. The SIL system seems revolutionary in theory because its proponents promise speed, power, & accuracy. Shooting swiftly alone is quite possible with technology that dates back to antiquity. I'm confident there were plenty of historical archers who could shoot 95lb bows at 1.6 sec/shot or faster by holding arrows in the bow or drawing hand. Lars Andersen can do an arrow every 0.5 seconds with a 53lb bow, & he's past his physical prime. Kassai Lajos can manage an arrow every 1.5 seconds on horseback & hitting thrown discs. In the 6th century, Procopius wrote about how Persians archers shot swiftly with weaker bows while the Romans used more powerful bows more slowly. He favored the Roman style because of its ability to defeat armor.

Such speed-shooting techniques don't appear to have been popular in Western or Central Europe, but various Western/Central European armies faced armies with archers who likely used these techniques & shoot extremely rapidly at times. These doesn't appear to have devastating on the battlefield; potentially effective, but not dramatically so. Additionally, in various places where speed shooting was known & practiced, many military archers preferred to focus on power &/or accuracy over speed. While this might be an accident of history, the style of military archery that endured the longest, the Manchu style, stresses power & precision with heavy arrows. Peter Dekker claims there no evidence for speed-shooting techniques in Manchu/Qing archery.

Regardless of technique, shooting rapidly necessarily fatigues an archer more. They're exerting more fore & expending more energy during a shorter period of time. Numerous historical archers preferred to shoot fewer but more powerful shots.

At best, I'd guess the medieval SIL design would have allowed historical European archers to shoot a cavalry-weight (75%) bow about as rapidly as speed-shooting techniques allow, for as long as the magazine lasts. The device's technical complexity & the disadvantage of having to reload the magazine strike me as a lot of trouble to replicate what a person can do with proper skill using a conventional bow, but then speed shooting does seem very challenging & laborious to learn.

Sean Manning wrote:
The evidence for soldiers using bows with massive draw weights is very concentrated in 16th and 17th century Eurasia, not earlier periods or other continents.

Evidence for high draw weights goes back considerably further than that in Eurasia. According to Stephen Selby's Chinese Archery, military exams in the 7th, 11th, & 12th centuries all required shooting a 147-167lb bow on foot & a 92-119lb on horseback for optimal marks. This reconstruction of a 3,000-year-old bow from Xinjiang came out to 120lbs. The weight of evidence indicates that at least the better sort of archers had been using 100-150+lb bows since antiquity (or earlier).

Aside: The modern version of the SIL for compound bows, by contrast, legitimately combines speed, power, & accuracy. Though it's possible, compound are a bit awkward to shoot rapidly. The Instant Legolas smooths that out & the high energy storage & efficiency of the compound design means a convenient draw weight can still hit hard. while the let-off facilitates easy aiming & accuracy. Compound bows really would have been a gamechanger on a medieval/Renaissance battlefield.
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Sean Manning wrote:
The evidence for soldiers using bows with massive draw weights is very concentrated in 16th and 17th century Eurasia, not earlier periods or other continents.

Evidence for high draw weights goes back considerably further than that in Eurasia. According to Stephen Selby's Chinese Archery, military exams in the 7th, 11th, & 12th centuries all required shooting a 147-167lb bow on foot & a 92-119lb on horseback for optimal marks. This reconstruction of a 3,000-year-old bow from Xinjiang came out to 120lbs. The weight of evidence indicates that at least the better sort of archers had been using 100-150+lb bows since antiquity (or earlier).

I have not had time to publish my draft articles on this, but basically up to the year 1, Karpowicz and Selby' study of the Yanghai bow is the only evidence for such a heavy bow which I can find. Whereas there are five or six other studies of extant bows and arrows from before the year 1 which estimate lower draw weights. We know that warfare changed a great deal in the 16th and 17th centuries and that bows also changed a great deal over time, so its plausible that Eurasian archery in that period was different than a thousand years earlier.

Edward McEwen and Wallace McLeod, "The Ancient Egyptian Composite Bow: Some Notes on its Structure and Performance." <em>American Journal of Archaeology</em>, Vol. 89, No. 2 (April 1985), p. 341.

Wallace McLeod, <em>Composite Bows from the Tomb of Tut'ankhamūn</em>. Tut'ankhamūn's Tomb Series, Volume 3. Oxford: The Griffith Institute, 1970.

Bergman, C.A., McEwen, E., and Miller, R. “Experimental Archery: Projectile Velocities and Comparisons of Bow Performances.” <em>Antiquity</em> 62 (1988) pp. 658-670

Godehardt, Erhardt et al., “The Reconstruction of Scythian Bows.” In Barry Molloy ed., <em>The Cutting Edge</em>, pp. 112-133. Tempus: Stroud, 2007.

Coulston, J. C. (1985) "Roman Archery Equipment." In M. C. Bishop (Ed.), The Production and Distribution of Roman Military Equipment. BAR International Series (Vol. 275, pp. 220-336)

Philip Henry Blyth. <em>The Effectiveness of Greek Armour Against Arrows in the Persian War (490-479 B.C.): An Interdisciplinary Inquiry</em>. PhD Thesis, University of Reading, January 1977. http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.450089

A lot of people on the Internet will tell you that a bow under 100 pounds draw is too light for war, but they don't seem to have read all these studies from before 2008. The studies of the Mary Rose bows, the Ottoman bows in Istanbul, and the Chinese military exams are cool and I would like to explore the Chinese evidence further but the Mary Rose, Ottoman, and Chinese bows are all from the last thousand years and mostly from the last 500.

Sorry for derailing Tod's thread! To get back on topic, there are ways of shooting more arrows faster than the one which English soldiers liked in the 15th century, so they did not see rate of fire as the most important aspect of archery (but, nobody ever showed them how fast they could shoot with Tod and Jörge's device).

Edit: another issue is that speed shooters often use a short draw, so they don't pull the same poundage as someone using a regular-length draw (bow weight increases the further you draw the bow). Tod and Jörge's device lets people shoot fast with a short light arrow but a full-length draw. So just saying "a good speed shooter can shoot a heavy bow just as fast as Tod's device" could hide some of the device's advantages.

www.bookandsword.com
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Watching this bow in action reminds me of the latchet crossbow: Impressive to watch and drawing me to want one very much, but in the end, it would probably be used mainly for civil defense.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregg Sobocinski wrote:
Watching this bow in action reminds me of the latchet crossbow: Impressive to watch and drawing me to want one very much, but in the end, it would probably be used mainly for civil defense.

That's exactly what the 1637 text Tiangong Kaiwu (天工開物) says about the repeating crossbow:

"Though intricate, its power is weak, so its range merely 20 paces. This is used by civilians against bandits, not as a weapon of the armed forces."

Lower-power shots are potentially more effective in a civilian context less likely to have armor & shields, & also potentially with less commitment. (Bandits looking for an easy mark might opt to withdraw against a barrage of even weak projectiles.)

Now, the 95lb magazine bow is certainly powerful enough to be deadly & presumably delivers more kinetic energy than some projectile weapons on the medieval/Renaissance battlefield. Light gaffle crossbows with steel prods & weak cavalry bows shooting light arrows appear to be the ones that managed the least punch in period. Especially if lower quality, these might have delivered as little as 40 foot-lbs. A 95lb yew bow should do around 60 foot-lbs, depending on quality & arrow weight. 40 foot-lbs behind a sharp point can easily kill an unarmored person at close range, but such a projectile would fail against even the worst sort of fabric armor or thick clothing past a modest distance.

So Tod's medieval magazine bow is already a functional & dangerous weapon when shot by Joe Gibbs, it's just not clearly better than other options. Currently there's no video evidence of anyone shooting 95+lb bow that fast, making it impressive in that sense. I'm confident a strong archer who practiced speed shooting could shoot as fast or faster while drawing fully, but I don't know that anyone has actually done it on video yet. & I'm sure a strong archer who trained with a magazine bow could shoot faster & more accurately than Gibbs did on his first try with the weapon.

However, as discussed earlier, it's not clear speed shooting with a weaker bow was ever that great on the battlefield. & in this case, it comes with the disadvantage of having to stop & reload the magazine after every five arrows, which looks to take at least ten seconds. That takes the total time to shoot five arrows to 18 seconds or 3.6 seconds per arrow. The archer is vulnerable while focused on reloading the magazine. The device would probably would only be a slight improvement on shots per minute, if at all.

With that in mind, would it have been worth the considerable expense to manufacture & maintain? I'm skeptical. I believe if someone had come up with a magazine bow in the 15th century they absolutely would have fielded it in small numbers, as people tried out all manner of bizarre contraptions in war. I doubt magazine bows would have seen widespread adoption.
Jonathan Dean

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Do we know how deeps lines of longbowmen usually were? According to Dr. Tobias Capwell archers shot directly at the enemy and not in an arched trajectory. This means that men were not shooting over the heads of those in front of them. So you could have two ranks shooting at the same time if they were staggered. It would indeed help if we knew how long it takes to reload the Instant Let. If for example it takes one minute, then files of six men should have enough time to reload by the time that each man takes his turn to shoot.

According to Robert Hardy in The Great Warbow, archers can only be 3-4 men deep on flat ground, while they might be as much as 7-8 men deep on sloping ground (as at traditional site of Crecy).

Regarding issues of bow draw weight, I've been slowly compiling a list of socket diameters for medieval English arrowheads, although covid has currently mucked me around there. I've attached two graphs from my current spreadsheet, one of the socket diameters of LM16/Jessop M4 arrowheads, and one of the socket diameters found in a secure 1540s context at Camber Castle.

While I've been assured by Will Sherman that shaft diameter is not a reliable indication of draw weight, as he's "had big 1/2" shafts that bend like wet cardboard and some 3/8" shafts that would stand in a 190lb bow", I nonetheless believe that socket diameters can demonstrate general trends. The Mary Rose arrow shafts, for instance, have relatively similar diameters within their typologies and match the socket diameters of arrowheads from Camber Castle[1].

Of the LM16/Jessop M4 arrowheads that I have measurements for so far, only 15 of 67 would fit a Mary Rose shaft, and almost half (31/67) are 9-10mm. As yet I don't have very many from a secure context and can't look at general trends, the Faccombe Netherton arrowheads, dating to somewhere between 1280 and 1356, have 4 arrowheads of 12-13mm diameter, showing that heavy bows were in use even relatively early in the 14th century. Nonetheless, the general trend suggests that most military arrowheads were for bows less powerful than the Mary Rose bows.

If we look at the archaeology of the bows, this should come as no real surprise that people were shooting weapons with less energy than the Mary Rose bows. Leaving aside the Waterford bow which, although clearly military, is too much a "shortbow" for most people to take seriously, most of the extent bows from the 1st century AD to the 10th century AD have a nock to nock length suitable for a draw of no more than 28":

NTN Length of Historical Bows

Leeuwarden-Heechterp: 1540mm
Vimose 1: 1678mm
Vimose 2: 1588mm
Illerup Adal (KAIH): 1663mm
Illerup Adal (KAIK (VKF)): 1558mm
the following bows are all from Nydam
1424: 1613mm
1427: 1618mm
1429: 1620mm
1430: 1623mm
1431: 1633mm
1434: 1643mm
1441: 1653mm
1442: 1670mm
1444: 1675mm
1445: 1693mm
1447: 1698mm
1452: 1699mm
the Nydam bows end here
Aalsum Bow: 1600mm
Wassenaar Bow: 1600mm

I'm leaving 14 bows from Nydam, as well as the Hedeby and Ballinderry bows, as these were over 1700mm and thus could theoretically be drawn further than 28". What we see is a repeated pattern of bows that almost certainly couldn't be drawn past 28" so that, even if they were quite powerful (a replica of the Wassenaar bow was 106lbs@26"), they were still less powerful than the Mary Rose bows. This is not to suggest they were "weak"[2], although they were clearly less efficient and could deliver less energy, but to say that for most of the Middle Ages people operated on a different paradigm to the 16th century, and we still don't fully understand it.

As to the "Instant Legolas" itself, while I'm impressed by the original design and Tod's reworking of it to a plausible medieval construction and very much look forward to future videos on it, I can't say that I think it has much use in medieval warfare. It requires a very skilled archer capable of drawing a very heavy (by medieval standards) bow, a significant degree of upkeep, a significant amount of money to purchase and I can't think of anything that could be practically done on a battlefield that the very skilled archer couldn't do without, what, an extra six pounds? strapped to his bow.

[1] The eagle-eyed will notice that the socket diameters are actually larger than the arrowshafts, often by 0.5-1mm, depending on which arrowhead and which shaft you chose to compare. While modern practice seems to be to ensure the external diameter of the arrowhead matches the diameter of the shaft exactly, so that a smooth profile is created, the one extent arrow that I'm aware of (the Westminster Abbey arrow), has a socket that is 0.5mm wider than the shaft (which is clearly visible in photographs, and the carvings on Prince Arthur's chapel have the same appearance.

[2] In fact, of the Nydam bows, the thickest fell into the category of being "short". 1442 was 31.5mmx28.5mm, 1445 was 31mmx28.5mm and 1424 was 30mmx29mm. Based on the replica of the Wassenaar bow, it's entirely likely that these drew around the same at a draw length of 27-28".

Attachment: 33.67 KB
Current graph of LM16/M4 arrowhead socket diameters [ Download ]

Attachment: 24.52 KB
The socket diameters of arrowheads found at Camber Castle [ Download ]
Will S

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan, one thing to note is that many hundreds of the Mary Rose arrows are far less than 1/2" diameter. Many are 10mm or less at the shoulder, some are over 13mm and plenty are inbetween. This means that we can't call anything a "Mary Rose shaft" as there simply isn't a standard.

This goes for length as well, of course. There are average peaks, but a huge range either side. The larger majority of the shafts is 30.5" draw length, with a smaller peak at 28".

As for the socket of the head being larger than the arrowshaft, the majority of the Mary Rose arrows would dispute this. Most of them have a very clearly defined shoulder cut all the way around, to ensure the head sits flush with the shaft. This is quite time consuming as compared to simply tapering the point and shoving the head on, allowing it to sit proud of the shaft so was obviously a very important step in construction.
Jonathan Dean

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will S wrote:
Jonathan, one thing to note is that many hundreds of the Mary Rose arrows are far less than 1/2" diameter. Many are 10mm or less at the shoulder, some are over 13mm and plenty are inbetween. This means that we can't call anything a "Mary Rose shaft" as there simply isn't a standard.

This goes for length as well, of course. There are average peaks, but a huge range either side. The larger majority of the shafts is 30.5" draw length, with a smaller peak at 28".

As for the socket of the head being larger than the arrowshaft, the majority of the Mary Rose arrows would dispute this. Most of them have a very clearly defined shoulder cut all the way around, to ensure the head sits flush with the shaft. This is quite time consuming as compared to simply tapering the point and shoving the head on, allowing it to sit proud of the shaft so was obviously a very important step in construction.

If the measurements and types of arrows reported in Weapons of Warre are correct - I understand from some of your comments elsewhere that their measurements for bows are often incorrect - less than 5% of the arrows recovered from the Mary Rose had a shoulder diameter of 10mm and belonged to the "breasted" type of arrow.

With that said, going back through the book I realise that my memory has confused confused "mean" with "mode" and, based on Table 8.49, the arrow shafts broadly fit the external diameters of the sockets from Camber Castle (see the updated table below[1]). I apologize for not double checking before I suggested that you and other warbow fletchers weren't following the evidence of the Mary Rose exactly, although I stand by my comments regarding the Westminster Abbey arrow, which I have double checked.

On an unrelated note, I don't know if you've seen this, but here's a report featuring two children's bows, both of which date to some time between the 1530s and 1550.

[1] In my previous spreadsheet I rounded everything below 0.5mm down and everything 0.5mm or above up. This was partly because I suspect that some of my sources have already rounded their numbers and partly because I had to estimate the socket diameter of so many examples from the scale provided, making precise measurements pointless.

Attachment: 28.22 KB
Camber Castle socket diameters w/o rounding. [ Download ]
Will S

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure why the Westminster Abbey arrow is an issue, as nobody has yet done any testing with one. What is clear however is that whoever made the arrow TRIED to make the shaft and head as seamless as possible, by filing the arrowhead shoulder down to meet the shaft, instead of just leaving it proud with a defined edge.

It's also clear (and Hector Cole has made this point himself) that the head is badly made and should not be used as a standard example. The barbs are welded poorly, and are even different lengths on the original. It's also worth noting that the tip of the head is blunt, as it would be if it had hit something hard. The impact of this could easily be enough to push the head further onto the shaft, opening the socket slightly. This is why it's slightly dangerous to take single items and assume large things such as the majority of arrows were made with a head larger than the shaft. When you look at a much larger group of items such as the MR arrows, it's clear that obvious attempts were made to get the socket to sit flush with the shaft.

As for the smaller Mary Rose arrows, I'm currently working on a number of new replicas of the 10mm and 10.5mm socketed shafts, and none of the ones I'm looking at are breasted, but are all either parallel or bobtailed.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The arrow and bow weight discussions seem like very interesting topics for other threads, but I am curious if there are any other insights on Tod's original post/question. I am still inclined to see this device as something that makes the most sense in a defensive role, but Tod's suggestion of a small "special forces" group is interesting (if a bit modern feeling). Are there other possibilities that we are missing? I don't see this as offering a huge advantage from horse back or from a static battlefield position, but others might have considered things I have not.

-- Greyson

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
The arrow and bow weight discussions seem like very interesting topics for other threads, but I am curious if there are any other insights on Tod's original post/question. I am still inclined to see this device as something that makes the most sense in a defensive role, but Tod's suggestion of a small "special forces" group is interesting (if a bit modern feeling). Are there other possibilities that we are missing? I don't see this as offering a huge advantage from horse back or from a static battlefield position, but others might have considered things I have not.

-- Greyson

I agree, defensive role makes most sense to me. Used from the walls during a siege where you don't need to haul it around and can have dedicated loaders supporting you. Or to put lots of fire into a breach very quickly.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

-- Greyson

Well some interesting and inovative designs can be theoretically useful in warfare but may be before their time like a matchlock musket with an 8 shot revolver action ! Technically possible, but too expensive and fragile to be practical as a general issue weapon, but one could see a small force using the modern idea of a commando special forces using such weapons to a limited degree ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArtefactPorn/comments/63tsw0/hunting_eightshooter_matchlock_musketrevolver/

One advantage of the "Instant Legolas" is that it seems like the bow can be taken off the device and the device used with the bow when the tactical context justify it's probably limited use.

The most interesting thing to me is just in an " Alternate History/Universe " context it's interesting to see what could have been made.

I could also see the concept modified to some sort of larger siege version or medium sized field artillery version using a very heavy bow with the slide of the ' Instant Legolas " and some sort of rotating hand crank that would cycle the weapons: Sort of like a mechanical Gatling Gun using a hopper to keep feeding arrows into the system.

Probably capable of loosing one heavy bolt at around one per second: So sort of a fast firing Ballista.

Experimental weapons designs that could have been made using period tools and materials is just a fun design exercise and thought experiment.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:

-- Greyson

Well some interesting and inovative designs can be theoretically useful in warfare but may be before their time like a matchlock musket with an 8 shot revolver action ! Technically possible, but too expensive and fragile to be practical as a general issue weapon, but one could see a small force using the modern idea of a commando special forces using such weapons to a limited degree ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArtefactPorn/comments/63tsw0/hunting_eightshooter_matchlock_musketrevolver/

One advantage of the "Instant Legolas" is that it seems like the bow can be taken off the device and the device used with the bow when the tactical context justify it's probably limited use.

The most interesting thing to me is just in an " Alternate History/Universe " context it's interesting to see what could have been made.

I could also see the concept modified to some sort of larger siege version or medium sized field artillery version using a very heavy bow with the slide of the ' Instant Legolas " and some sort of rotating hand crank that would cycle the weapons: Sort of like a mechanical Gatling Gun using a hopper to keep feeding arrows into the system.

Probably capable of loosing one heavy bolt at around one per second: So sort of a fast firing Ballista.

Experimental weapons designs that could have been made using period tools and materials is just a fun design exercise and thought experiment.

If technically possible but practically impractical is what you are looking for I suggest you throw a glance at various 17th century muskets made by Kalthoff and others. It tries to match the instant legolas in concept making a blackpowder weapon fire more rapidly.

Various designs were tried so they aren't all the same but here's a few impressions.

Attachment: 81.76 KB
kalthoff.png

Attachment: 105.96 KB
kalthoff mechanism.png

Attachment: 127.25 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Joerg Sprave and the magazine longbow (Instant Legolas)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: