Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > If you could wear any sword you want, what would it be? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

L. Clayton Parker wrote:
Since it is unlikely that I would be facing assailants carrying short swords, those are right out. I would want something that lent itself to a multitude of styles, capable of both offense and defense and with good reach.

To be honest, if you assume most people are in the "C" category, I think you'd be more likely to see smaller swords like Khukris or machettes as they are easy to conceal and quick to learn and employ.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For fashion only Wink my viking broad sword, i'm in the market for another at the moment.

OR possibly a rapier..elegant, fine, precise I think it demands certain skill and precision unlike the broadsword which is great for smashing..broken a fair few shields before but i've never used a rapier. Could be fun.

If only this thread was possible!! Cant see Paris Hilton wearing one though haha
D. Raleigh

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A rapier, of course! This is precisely the scenario for which the rapier evolved: a townie sword suitable for keeping muggers at a distance, wounding them if necessary to demonstrate your resolve and killing them if it became necessary to protect the life of your companion or yourself.
I'm sure there are a lot of people here who know that it's very, very difficult to get past someone who just keeps his point in line and doesn't attack with any more than a stop-thrust.
Unless a man couldn't afford more than one sword, he'd have a heavier sword for the battlefield when he wouldn't know what he'd be hitting with it, and a rapier for in town.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Raleigh wrote:
A rapier, of course! This is precisely the scenario for which the rapier evolved: a townie sword suitable for keeping muggers at a distance, wounding them if necessary to demonstrate your resolve and killing them if it became necessary to protect the life of your companion or yourself.
I'm sure there are a lot of people here who know that it's very, very difficult to get past someone who just keeps his point in line and doesn't attack with any more than a stop-thrust.
Unless a man couldn't afford more than one sword, he'd have a heavier sword for the battlefield when he wouldn't know what he'd be hitting with it, and a rapier for in town.

The Rapier seems like a good choice or an early Smallsword when one wants to keep weight and size more manageable.

I sort of like the Colichemarde type which still has sharp edges versus the later more triangular bladed types of Smallswords that have zero, or near zero cutting power.

The Colichemarde can have edges sharp enough for draw or push cuts and could use the edge to " Defang " the opponent by cutting to their hand or arm. Obviously not a heavy enough blade to do any serious deep damage, and not likely to be able to cut through any thick clothing. But against bare skin it could cut to the bone.

A well aimed cut to the carotid artery would be a real fight stopper if one had the skill and accuracy to pull it off against a competent swordsman ?

The wider part of the Colichemarde's blade is subject to speculation about it's uses and usefulness ?

My best guesses, and don't take this as proof of anything historical correct as far as fencing is concerned:

A) The wider and sharp part of the blade can cut like a dagger edge, again mostly draw or push cuts against exposed skin.

B) Since the Small sword is very much specialized in the thrust the opportunity to use the wider part of the blade to cut might only happen if an opponent got past one's point and one was in wrestling distance and one couldn't use the point as designed.

C) There is a theory that the wider part is to be stronger in parrying heavier swords ? Not sure if a Colichemarde is stronger at the junction of blade shoulders and tang running into the grip than a triangular bladed Smallsword with an 8mm thick blade near the guard ?

D) When parrying the suddenly widening blade might deflect an opponents blade in a unique way that might affect the control/deflexion of a blade in the bind ? Also turning the sword from contact on the flat to contact on the wider edge can leverage a bind in a way a good swordsman or swordswoman could exploits ?

Oh, and my experience with the Colichemarde is limited to the Cold steel version I recently purchased, and it surprised me how much I like this version of Smallsword.

Link to where I purchased mine in Canada: https://www.reliks.com/functional-rapiers/
( Note mine came very paper cutting sharp on all of the edges from the wider section to the narrower front half of the blade.
A little stoning of the edges made it very sharp
)

One can also buy it in the USA at Kult of Athena.

Oh, and the Dresden A&A Rapier is a completely different animal, it's heavy in comparison and what one would prefer for war versus civilian wear !

In the early 17th Century I might like to carry the Colichemarde plus a dagger and maybe one or two small boxlock flintlock pistol of a concealable size but .50 calibre bore. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

99% of situations don't require a weapon to resolve, so it doesn't make much sense to carry a cumbersome object around that won't see much use. Best to carry something that is more versatile. I've used a machete for clearing undergrowth, pruning trees, dispatching and butchering game, starting a fire, trimming spear shafts, harvesting cane and bamboo, splitting cane and bamboo, opening coconuts, cooking food, scraping hotplates, tightening screws, and much more. It is also a very effective weapon that is likely responsible for more severed body parts than any other weapon in history. My favorite is probably the bolo.

A rapier isn't much use in a proper fight. Even if you stick someone in a potentially fatal location, they won't bleed out before their chopper takes off a piece of your skull. You want to stop someone, not kill them. A chopper incapacitates far more quickly than a sticker. Once they are on the ground and no longer fighting, you can then decide whether to keep them alive.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since 99% of the time it will just be another thing to carry around, but if you did have to use it, it would be under pressure, I:

1. Don't want it to weigh much or be cumbersome.

2. Want it to look good, not too tacticool.

3. Be instinctive to use and quick to deploy.

Probably something like a large bauernwehr or messer. Maybe a dirk.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jan, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Since 99% of the time it will just be another thing to carry around, but if you did have to use it, it would be under pressure, I:

1. Don't want it to weigh much or be cumbersome.

2. Want it to look good, not too tacticool.

3. Be instinctive to use and quick to deploy.

Probably something like a large bauernwehr or messer. Maybe a dirk.

Yes, I think #1 needs more consideration. I've been to plenty of renfairs wearing longswords and recently switched to a much shorter Messer. I must say, as an EDC choice it's already much more comfortable to wear, and a lot less cumbersome to move around and sit down with.

The manner of suspension used plays a huge role as well. My longsword's got a simple angled 2-point attachment, while my Messer hangs from a Brueghel-style shoulder belt and is thus quickly and conveniently donned and removed when for example sitting down. It also hangs vertically and thus doesn't impede myself or others turning around.

A rather good solution could also be something like my Cervenka Rapier/Sidesword. That one also has a nice suspension system where the sheath is fastened to the belt with two hooks and can thus be removed and reattached rather quickly, if with some contortions. Like all basket-hilted swords it's not quite as easy to draw intuitively, however.

Another sword type that seems reasonable to me would be something like an 1845 pattern British infantry officer's sword or even a cutlass from a similar time. Easier to wear and draw than a rapier (both in length and hilt design), yet quite capable as a sword.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johannes Zenker wrote:

Another sword type that seems reasonable to me would be something like an 1845 pattern British infantry officer's sword or even a cutlass from a similar time. Easier to wear and draw than a rapier (both in length and hilt design), yet quite capable as a sword.

Yes, a cutlass or hanger would also be a good choice.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Didn't Texas pass an open carry sword law back in 2017? I suppose guns are still preferred carry for self defense but since I never been to Texas I cannot say for sure if people actually carry swords.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Sir. Now in Texas, it is completely legal to open-carry ANY bladed weapon...including swords. Even though this has come to be, I have yet to see anyone carrying anything bigger than a small fixed-blade hunting knife. I do carry my CS Gladius machete in my car though....because I CAN. Razz
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Swords would be like ties. I would wear what ever sword matched the suit I was wearing that day. A classic saber one day, a Scots Broadsword another, my high end Migration on yet another day.

Is it a blue tie day? then a katana in a matching saya and tsuka.

Red tie, then a Sutton Hoo sword with the appropriate belt

A hike in the mountains, a hunting sword or long seax.

Fridays I might wear a bearded ax

A black tie affair then a court sword and vodka martini

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Think I'd still just carry a knife. Since I don't know how to swordfight, a sword would be more trouble than it's worth.

If I did know how to use it, though, I'd consider a small hunting sword or a large dagger.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
99% of situations don't require a weapon to resolve, so it doesn't make much sense to carry a cumbersome object around that won't see much use. Best to carry something that is more versatile. I've used a machete for clearing undergrowth, pruning trees, dispatching and butchering game, starting a fire, trimming spear shafts, harvesting cane and bamboo, splitting cane and bamboo, opening coconuts, cooking food, scraping hotplates, tightening screws, and much more. It is also a very effective weapon that is likely responsible for more severed body parts than any other weapon in history. My favorite is probably the bolo.

A rapier isn't much use in a proper fight. Even if you stick someone in a potentially fatal location, they won't bleed out before their chopper takes off a piece of your skull. You want to stop someone, not kill them. A chopper incapacitates far more quickly than a sticker. Once they are on the ground and no longer fighting, you can then decide whether to keep them alive.

I agree with Dan here, and I bicycle all the time, so while I would love to bring one of my long swords around most likely it would be my Western W-49 Bowie. With horizontal sheath it can easily be worn on a bicycle, and as a big knife it’s more tool than weapon. But would be handy if pressed into service.

Attachment: 70.5 KB
87535CCA-E2FC-40AC-9283-75791AEDDB49.jpeg

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

I agree with Dan here, and I bicycle all the time, so while I would love to bring one of my long swords around most likely it would be my Western W-49 Bowie. With horizontal sheath it can easily be worn on a bicycle, and as a big knife it’s more tool than weapon. But would be handy if pressed into service.

Check out this guy. He builds an entire house and lots of other cool stuff using nothing but a machete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS8rv2i0QA

I've got some bamboo growing in my yard because it is handy for lots of projects. After watching this I've decided to plant more.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Eric Smith

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword cane.

Currently I must use a cane to get around, and I really wish sword canes were legal. If Albion put one of these together with their oxblood leather trim it would really appeal to me. Albions — especially the oxblood ones — have a distinctively bold, but subtle, classiness.

Taking something like their "Kingmaker" and using it's grip and a larger version of the pommel for a cane handle, with a long seax housed inside a wooden sheath/the cane. The sheath should double as a useable weapon (like katana cases, in movies at least).

Attachment: 5.27 KB
alb_king_k~01.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > If you could wear any sword you want, what would it be?
Page 5 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: