three Viking swords
This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Folks,

I'm selling three Viking swords.

The first is a discontinued Del Tin sword that Museum Replicas sold many years ago as the Ravens of Odin Sword. It's big--39" (just under a meter) in overall length with a 33" (83 cm) blade and a typically short 3.5" (8.5 cm) wire-wrapped grip; it weighs about 3.75 pounds (1.7 kg). It's not sharp. The guard and pommel are copper alloy, with ravens and other zoomorphic figures in low relief on a black background. The mounting is firm, the wire-wrapped grip is tight and solid, and the blade is straight. It comes with the original MRL leather scabbard and with a custom wool-lined, red leather, wood-core scabbard with a reproduction Viking chape (from an Icelandic example, I think) that I had Albion Armorers make for it way back when they were Del Tin resellers. To be clear, I got this from MRL, and the Albion scabbard was an after-market addition. As you'd expect, the scabbard fits beautifully. I'm asking $475 shipped in the U.S.A.

The second is a first-generation Hanwei Godfred sword. This is now on hold.

The third is Windlass' c. 2000 Leif Ericson Commemorative Sword (not the current Leif Erikson Sword), damascus-blade version. It was produced around the time of the thousandth anniversary of the Norse contacts with North America as a premium item. Two old threads on Sword Forum discuss it: Leif Ericson Commemorative Viking Sword and MRL Leif Ericson Damascus Viking. Please note that although the example I'm selling has the pattern-welded blade, it does not have the shagreen grip discussed in the second thread; it has the suede grip with rings shown on the monosteel version. It's 37" (94 cm) overall, with a 31" (78 cm) blade and a 4" (10 cm) grip; it weighs about 2.5 pounds (1 kg). It is also not sharp. Like the Del Tin above, the mounting is firm, the grip is tight and solid, and the blade is straight. However, the scabbard isn't nearly as nicely fitted as the Albion one above; the sword doesn't rattle, but it will slide out if it's tipped too far. I'm asking $525 shipped in the U.S.A.

You can see photos of the swords at this Google Drive link in separate folders for each sword, with a name-and-date note showing all three swords on the landing page.

Sorry, no trades. Foreign buyers will have to discuss shipping. I accept PayPal (for Goods and Services, please add 3% to cover the fee) or check or money order. Please send me a PM if you're interested.

Best,

Mark Millman

Folks,

The first-generation Hanwei Godfred sword is no longer on hold. This has a pattern-welded blade with a slightly less refined cross-section than the current model; it's a flattened hexagon with the fullers ground into the faces. The fullers do not reach the guard, but stop about two inches (5 cm) short of it. The fullers don't quite reach the tip bevel, either, but the current model is the same in this respect. The pattern-welding is more deeply etched in mine than it seems to be in the current model, so it stands out much more clearly. Otherwise the older and newer versions are similar. The overall length is 34.5" (88 cm), the blade length is 28.5" (72 cm), the grip length is 4.25" (11 cm), and the weight is a bit less than 2.5 pounds (1 kg). It is sharp from the factory. Like the other swords here, the mounting is firm, the grip is tight and solid, and the blade is straight. It comes with the original suede-covered scabbard, which fits beautifully. However, the weight-bearing band, which carries the suspension straps, now slips about three-quarters of an inch (2 cm), probably because of shrinkage of the wood and leather and flattening of the suede surface. This can probably be fixed by shimming it, but I haven't tried. Also, when I got this sword I dyed the woven-suede grip and the scabbard cover black, rather than the stock chocolate brown. I'm asking $375 shipped in the U.S.A., under the same conditions as above.

Mark Millman

Folks,

The Del Tin Ravens of Odin Sword and the Windlass Leif Ericson Commemorative Sword are both pending.

The Hanwei Godfred Sword remains available.

Mark Millman

Folks,

The Del Tin Ravens of Odin Sword and the Windlass Leif Ericson Commemorative Sword are both sold.

The Hanwei Godfred Sword remains available.

Mark Millman

Folks,

The Hanwei Godfred Sword is now reduced to $330 shipped.

Mark Millman

Folks,

Bump to the top.

Mark Millman

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: