Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Blog on Website Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: A&A Thanksgiving-BFCM-busy :-)         Reply with quote

HI All

Hope everyone has had a great holiday and got some down time this weekend. As we are selling things we are of course a bit busy through this time. Check out the website or FB page for our specials. Main thing is free shipping on in-stock items through Monday. We also have a couple of daily specials on a single sword.

Todays Sword

We also had a blog post on some of the Colonial American projects we have done over the years. There have been some great pieces in the early history of our country.

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Dec, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Merry Axemass to All!         Reply with quote

Merry Axemass to All!

We hope folks are enjoying the holiday season fully and life is good. We have a special on through the season till our axes run out that will hopefully help you with your seasonal chopping. Check out our deal on the Merry Axemass page on the web.

We also have a couple new blog posts to check out. One on our Nordland Axe a great christmas present for anyone on your list.

Also a look at our Gustav Vasa Rapier and some special versions we have crafted over the years.

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Knightly Pole Axe         Reply with quote

Today's blog post is a look at our Knightly Pole Axe. We have made this piece for a long time and it is still a fun piece to make and even more enjoyable to have in hand. Happy

We also have a musical holiday treat we put together if you like christmas music .

Happy Holidays
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas!         Reply with quote

Merry Axemas everyone. We hope your holidays are full of great things.

If you need to relax and unwind check out our newest blog post about the required viewing for working at A&A. There are many a day we use lines from movies to communicate in the shop and if you have not seen the films you will miss out. We of course would not make fun of a coworker who had not seen them. That would be cruel.

Hope you get some enjoyment from this and see something that inspires you to check it out.

Best to all!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Custom Orders and High Gothic Mace         Reply with quote

Out latest blog posts discuss custom orders and what that may entail to start a commission and a look at Maces and our HIgh Gothic Mace replica in particular. Hope you find them interesting and informative.

J.D. Crawford

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Orders and High Gothic Mace         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Out latest blog posts discuss custom orders and what that may entail to start a commission and a look at Maces and our HIgh Gothic Mace replica in particular. Hope you find them interesting and informative.

I was pleased to see one of my commissions in this blog. What I've found with custom commissions (many from A&A) is that ideas based on specific historical examples are more likely to be successful than combined or made-up ideas, especially when there's a lot of detail available (measurements, pictures from various angles). Presumably that's because the original smiths new what they were doing, so there's less effort for the modern Smith to make it work in real life. One problem is that sometimes the published measurements turn out to be inaccurate, and that throws things off. The other problem with the replication approach is that one tends to get hung up on minor differences from the original, so probably 'inspired by' is a better way to look at it.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Orders and High Gothic Mace         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Craig Johnson wrote:

I was pleased to see one of my commissions in this blog. What I've found with custom commissions (many from A&A) is that ideas based on specific historical examples are more likely to be successful than combined or made-up ideas, especially when there's a lot of detail available (measurements, pictures from various angles). Presumably that's because the original smiths new what they were doing, so there's less effort for the modern Smith to make it work in real life. One problem is that sometimes the published measurements turn out to be inaccurate, and that throws things off. The other problem with the replication approach is that one tends to get hung up on minor differences from the original, so probably 'inspired by' is a better way to look at it.

Could not have said it better myself J.D. the best is always to work from interaction with the original. But this is not always possible for a variety of reasons. So extrapolation form images has been an art that most modern smiths must develop. It is definitely not a science. When you move into the realm of replicating from art work it gets even worse. Period art in most cases the artist knew the subject very well. Today sometimes the weapons are flights of fantasy and can often defy the rules of material science and physics. Those can be a challenge :-)

Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: New posts- Heat treat, hexagonal blades & Dussack Pair         Reply with quote

Sorry got overwhelmed a bit last week so we have three new posts on the blog to check out.

A look at some aspects of historical heat treatment, Some discussion on the hexagonal blade cross section in swords, and a special price for a pair of dussacks for training, bring the joy of Dussack to your kit bag or training partner.

Check them out :-)

Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wanna say I am really enjoying these blogs. Thanks!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Heat Treatment in Medieval Period Pt2         Reply with quote

Michael P. Smith wrote:

Thank you Michael that's good to hear. It's been a bit more work than we anticipated but we enjoy hearing from folks that enjoy the posts.

Today's post id part 2 of the Medieval Heat Treatment discussion Hope you enjoy it.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Treatment in Medieval Period Pt2         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Michael P. Smith wrote:

Thank you Michael that's good to hear. It's been a bit more work than we anticipated but we enjoy hearing from folks that enjoy the posts.

Today's post id part 2 of the Medieval Heat Treatment discussion Hope you enjoy it.

Yes I second that the Blog is a good and informative idea.

Every custom order I've made with A&A has been a good experience, and it can be a completely custom from scratch custom order, or simply a modification to one of A&A's production weapons. In some cases I just requested that an axe, a Poleax, or the English Bill be heat treated on the cutting edges since many period polearms where not heat treated.

If I remember correctly, there is, or was, a Video of my customized English Bill's head being heat treated.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

I just saw your new article on Type XVs, and I just felt inspired to comment on it, as they're my favorite swords. Big Grin

https://www.arms-n-armor.com/blogs/news/the-pointy-joy-of-type-xv-and-xva-swords

...I again want to thank you for making my Type XVa, which I commissioned upon graduating from college. It has been a wonderful companion in learning about swordsmanship in Liechtenauer's tradition.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: A&A Blog update         Reply with quote

So got a bit busy there and time did a slip on me. I have a couple of blog posts to add to our list. If anyone is interested please check them out :-)

We posted on Michael's Favorite swords THE POINTY JOY OF TYPE XV SWORDS. We did a look at FLAILS and our third HISTORICAL HEAT TREATMENT post.

The next post is about our crew. You can meet our crafts people and see who works on all of our stuff.

Then we have a video look at our Serenissima Rapier.

We also give a brief overview of what is LONGSWORDS VS BASTARD SWORDS VS HAND-AND-A-HALF SWORDS and last but not least we finish up with today's post about a special deal on our Scholar Training Sword.

Just remember as today is Valentines nothing says I love you like a sword! Laughing Out Loud

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: 2 New Blog Posts to Check Out         Reply with quote

A look at the weight of some antique rapiers from The Oakeshott Collection as part of a discussion of how heavy or light a rapier should be is one of our recent blog posts.

Today's blog looks at a new option for our Meyer Training Rapier. A longer blade with a Schilt.

and last but not least we have renamed our Unique Items Section (used to be the muster page) on the webpage it is now The Artisan Collection and is the spot to get one of items from our craftsmen. These are sometimes replicas, proof of concept or pieces that inspire us to just make a cool thing Happy so check it out if you like something special just for you. We have a couple new swords available now.

Something fit for a Lanister as someone noted Eek!

Hex pommeled Sword of War

Be well friends
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Grip Size on Medieval Swords and the Smallsword         Reply with quote

Have two more blog posts to check out. One is about the size of grips on Medieval swords a topic that gets little attention from most scholars and An overview of some interesting facts about Smallswords!

MEDIEVAL SWORD GRIP SIZE

SMALLSWORDS: YEP, LIGHT AND FAST
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: A&A Blog Tucks, Estocs and Medieval Hunting         Reply with quote

We have had a couple blog posts I suspect folks might find interesting. We also have a special on through April 15th with free domestic shipping and discounted International shipping. Check the detail here

We have two posts on Tuck reproductions we have done with videos

Tuck 1

Tuck 2

The Medieval Hunt

Everyone stay well and safe
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

Just curious, how are things over in Minnesota? The company I work for is considered essential, so we're still at work. However, not everyone is so fortunate. Are you and your colleagues still able to keep production going over there?

-Michael
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Blog Update and A&A Status         Reply with quote

Hi Michael

We are doing ok. Most of the crew is at home with stay at home guidelines. We are keeping up on communication and support. Production is of course slowed dramatically but we try to keep things moving as best we are able. The hope is we will be able to move forward a bit more over next couple of weeks. We have only run into a few support businesses that are shuttered so we are not running into to many delays so far.

One note: We have extended the Free and Discounted shipping through May 15th in case folks are looking for a spot to spend some stimulus funds :-)

Here are some updates on the blog, seems like I let the updates slide a bit so here are several, enjoy.

Video Review of our Smallsword

The A&A Edward the Third Sword

A look at Broad Bladed Rapiers

A look at our Horseman's Axe

Complex Hilted Longswords

Be well all and stay safe.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: New Sword Prototype         Reply with quote

Today's blog post is a preview of our new sword we will have in production shortly. The current conditions have delayed the sword a bit in production but you can see the prototype in action on some videos and get a sense of what our new Type XVIIIc will be like.

Original our Prototype XVIIIc is based on
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a glorious brute, Sir!

...Am I wrong for thinking this needs a hexagonal pommel and guard rather than a round one? Big Grin

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Blog on Website
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: