Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need Help IDing Some Modern Reproduction Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Peterson

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Need Help IDing Some Modern Reproduction Swords         Reply with quote

I bought a collection of swords this weekend at a local Flea Market and there are a few I don't recognize. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment: 68.92 KB
black Windlass.jpg
I thought this was one of the Windlass Battlecry series of blued swords, and the scabbard definitely looks like Windlass manufacture, but do not see it listed as one.

Attachment: 68.07 KB
unk Hurum sword.jpg
This is similar to a Deepeeka sword by this name, but it looks like it is better finished and has different characteristics. There are no markings.

Attachment: 48.51 KB
unk maker mark.jpg
Three swords have this same mark, but I do not recognize the manufacturer.

Attachment: 75.03 KB
Albion sword.jpg
This appears to be an earlier Albion trademark, but the sword or mark are not shown on their website and probably predates the current marking system, that other swords in the collection have.. Does anyone know the name/model and approximate date of manu
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You definitely have two Albions there. One is an old Squire line. The mark is: . The last looks like the pre-Next Gen Albion Mark, probably the Orleans. See here: https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7630
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The type M viking may be an OlliN Rae Koone Viking Sword. KoA used to carry it for $800.

http://www.kultofathena.com/images/OSD06_1_l.jpg

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=OSD0...king+Sword

I always thought it was very handsome. Didn't move fast enough to get one though.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice finds! Well, the old albions are. I wish you could find stuff like that at a flea market in the UK. I assume you got these at a good price?
Dan Peterson

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
You definitely have two Albions there. One is an old Squire line. The mark is: . The last looks like the pre-Next Gen Albion Mark, probably the Orleans. See here: https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7630

Many thanks for the great information, Chad. There were actually several more Albions in the group but only four had the older marks that are no longer shown on their website so had trouble identifying them. Yes, that first one is definitely the Orleans, as another member helpfully confirmed and the other three are shown below. I am assuming the older models usually increase in price, but it's really hard to find out the relative values of them compared to the newer models. KofA is useful to see current price trends of many swords, but don't show the prices of swords no longer in stock.

BTW, I see you are from Cincinnati and wonder if I could have spoken to you at the Cincinnati Comic Expo if you ever happened to visit it? I get a free trip, admission and hotel room there every year in return for setting up various displays over the past seven years or so, and there were a few knowledgeable people there that recognized the late 15th Century authentic reproduction German 'Gothic' equestrian armor that I had there on a "walking dragon and knight" prop in which the rider's real feet are on stilts inside the dragon's legs to make it walk.

Attachment: 846.65 KB
Albion older models.png

Former Curator, 3d Armored Cavalry Museum, U.S. Army, El Paso, TX
Former Director, 1st Armored Division Museum, U.S. Army, Baumholder, Germany
Former Director, 3d Armored Division Museum, U.S. Army, Frankfurt, Germany
Former Director, Don F. Pratt (101st Airborne Div.) Museum, U.S. Army, Fort Campbell, KY
Author, The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs
Dan Peterson

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
The type M viking may be an OlliN Rae Koone Viking Sword. KoA used to carry it for $800.

http://www.kultofathena.com/images/OSD06_1_l.jpg

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=OSD0...king+Sword

I always thought it was very handsome. Didn't move fast enough to get one though.

Many thanks, Ian, it is definitely that sword! I tried to find their website, and it seems to have gone away. I might consider trading this one. Currently, I am more interested in Late Medieval/Renaissance/Age of Discovery related weapons and armor that I use in interpretive programs since coming back from many years living in Europe where I was more focused on Roman, Viking and Medieval periods. I do a couple of programs every year at Tennessee Parks and occasionally other sites about the Hernando de Soto expedition through what is now the Southeastern United States so focusing most of my efforts there.

Attachment: 339.63 KB
hist trail 2018sm.png

Former Director, Don F. Pratt (101st Airborne Div.) Museum, U.S. Army, Fort Campbell, KY
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the finds,

That Ollin is certainly a rare one.
Dan Peterson

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:
Nice finds! Well, the old albions are. I wish you could find stuff like that at a flea market in the UK. I assume you got these at a good price?

Thanks, Antal! There are a few more of the newer Albions too, a nice Arms and Armor, and a lot of Del Tins and some of the better Windlass pieces, and there some original edged weapons (nothing spectacular) , and more of the junkier Indian stuff too. Seventy swords in all that literally doubled my sword collection, though some I don't need and will try to trade or sell probably. They came from an estate sale along with big collections of knives and watches, which the flea market dealer was the most knowledgeable about. He didn't want to mess with the "heavy and sharp" swords so gave me a REALLY good deal to take them all! Here's an image of what I think are most of the best ones.

Despite this being my "best flea market day ever", I have actually done very good at European flea markets over the many years when I was stationed there with the U.S. forces. I didn't go to many in GB because of the distance, but tried to every time I was there to participate in reenactments and displays, or working on various "History Channel" type films with my armor and props from various time periods. I have found some really amazing pieces going back to the Roman period at flea markets all over Europe but especially at the flea markets in Germany where I lived for over 20 years.

Attachment: 882.76 KB
Albion and other good swords.png

Antal László

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW, seventy swords... That in itself is already a large collection. They also seem to be in good condition. I can't help but wonder if the previous owner was a member here. But that's off topic, sorry.

Congrats on a good deal!
Dan Peterson

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:
WOW, seventy swords... That in itself is already a large collection. They also seem to be in good condition. I can't help but wonder if the previous owner was a member here. But that's off topic, sorry.

Congrats on a good deal!

There are probably only about forty that I would like to keep, and probably trade or sell the rest. There are Asian ones, original native ones, rough original, 19th century swords, etc. that i really don't collect, but had to buy to get the "package deal" as the seller didn't want to pack them up again! I am a bit intrigued about the original owner too, and would not be surprised if he was a member here. I am still in contact with the seller so will probably ask whose estate these came from. He told me at the flea market that he was offered another sword collection of around 40 pieces unrelated to this one so definitely planned to follow up on that as well!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need Help IDing Some Modern Reproduction Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic