Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Talhoffer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can someone who's handled both the wider Albion XVas and the skinnier ones give me some sort of comparison and contrast in how the weapons handle?

Craig
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Yep. Gotta love that hilt. I've been looking for a hilt like that for a long time.

Functionally, this is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. The only change I would make personally would be to snag the grip from the Fiore - that is far and away the most comfortable style for my hands. I'm strongly considering getting one, and personally doing a custom regrip job on it...

Joachim wrote:
Thanks. Big Grin Yeah, the Talhoffer is kinda a must-have! At least in my book. Not to mention the fact that up until now the type XVa blades have been seriously under-represented on the sword market. Love the blade, love the hilt, gonna marry the handling characteristics.

There are now what... 8 XV variants in Albion's lineup? The single-handed Poitiers XV, and the shorter, wider Castellan, Constable, and Merc, and the longer, thinner Agincourt, Talhoffer, Ringneck, and Fiore (all XVa). I'll wind up with 3 of them... have the Merc, and will have the Poitiers and one of the last 4, as I said above, probably a customized Talhoffer. Love the diamond cross sectioned blades (flat or hollow ground, like the Regent and Svante) both in aesthetics and in preferred handling/fighting style. These all feel wickedly sweet in hand, and, if you are going to marry the handling characteristics of this one, may I PLEASE have her sister? Razz

Joachim wrote:
And yes: I hate you now. Razz

... guess my word is good enough! Laughing Out Loud

Joachim wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Back on topic here... Langer Ort has got to be downright nauseating to be facing with this piece... all you see is a midline glint and the bulbs of the cross... and some very intense eyes looking back at you. Stiffen those shoulders, and the point lunges forward a few inches, instantly, and nearly undetected.

I totally agree. I believe my exact words when Mike "threw" the Langer Ort at me was: "I can't see the blade. It's just not there. All I see is a black hole where it should be." A terrifying experience to say the least. I'm glad we weren't about to throw down for real. With the Talhoffer you can cut very quickly from Langer Ort too. Eek!

The images in my head of this "encounter" are spooky enough...

I'm still really looking forward to catching up with you guys - hoping for next year, but we'll have to see how things pan out. Some pretty significant changes going on for me right now, so a LOT is up in the air.

Bill Grandy wrote:
But a good, well-timed schielhau against langen ort is just so cool for countering it!

Agreed... that one can go back and forth, though... counter with shielhau to displace/disrupt, immediately strike with langen ort... oof! Eek!

Joachim wrote:
And what's up with that new avatar of yours, Aaron? You look really dangerous in that one. Compared to your old one where you looked meek and timid. Razz Big Grin

'Tis the season, my friend! Razz Happy Holidays!

I actually got tired of seeing my avatar wearing that same red shirt every day... figured it was time for a change.

I've been nailed on and off the forums for full pics... once I get some decent ones of the finished kit, I'll post them... the kit is finished, by the way... just need to put it all on again and get some pics taken. I'll try to do that when I get back on land.
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Can someone who's handled both the wider Albion XVas and the skinnier ones give me some sort of comparison and contrast in how the weapons handle?

Craig

I have, but haven't done so side-by-side. Putting together my experiences, though, I find both types to be wicked-effective, but think I prefer the longer, narrower blades due to reach. Both types are fluid, and handle wonderfully in the German style. I've only cut with the Merc, and it surprised me - I figured it would be less efficient than it was against medium targets.

I was also able to handle the Poitiers, which is the single-handed XV. It also has a neat feel - different than other 1-handers that I have dealt with (which all exhibited more blade presence). Very handy. Again, no cutting experience...

Not a tremendous help, Craig, but it's all I can offer.
Joachim Nilsson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Functionally, this is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. The only change I would make personally would be to snag the grip from the Fiore - that is far and away the most comfortable style for my hands. I'm strongly considering getting one, and personally doing a custom regrip job on it...

Definately. Scent-stopper pommels don't mess with the edge alignment nearly as much as disc pommels do. I guess that in the end it all comes down to personal preference though, but I really prefer the type T pommels over any other pommels.

Quote:
There are now what... 8 XV variants in Albion's lineup? The single-handed Poitiers XV, and the shorter, wider Castellan, Constable, and Merc, and the longer, thinner Agincourt, Talhoffer, Ringneck, and Fiore (all XVa). I'll wind up with 3 of them... have the Merc, and will have the Poitiers and one of the last 4, as I said above, probably a customized Talhoffer. Love the diamond cross sectioned blades (flat or hollow ground, like the Regent and Svante) both in aesthetics and in preferred handling/fighting style. These all feel wickedly sweet in hand, and, if you are going to marry the handling characteristics of this one, may I PLEASE have her sister? Razz

Yep. The XV-variants are really coming on strong now. Thanks to PJ and Albion. You'll get a good spread of the XV types by owning three of them. I totally agree about the aesthetics too. Not to mention the handling. The Talhoffer have made my waster feel very awkward and clumpsy. Granted, a waster is a tool with its own merits, but for floryshing purposes I'll stick to the Talhoffer from know on. Have tried some bare handed halvswording with it too, but that created more questions than it answered any. Confused

Quote:
Joachim wrote:
And yes: I hate you now. Razz

... guess my word is good enough! Laughing Out Loud

Oh well.... I guess I should refrain from telling you that I'm bidding on an antique navy pike right now. Ooops! Guess I just told you. Razz I'll probably lose that in no time at all though. Especially considering I don't really have the money to play around with auctions right now. Heck.... The last of my cash will actually go to tickets to the premiere of King Kong on Dec. 14th.

Quote:
The images in my head of this "encounter" are spooky enough...

Just reminiscing about it gives me shivers.

Quote:
I'm still really looking forward to catching up with you guys - hoping for next year, but we'll have to see how things pan out. Some pretty significant changes going on for me right now, so a LOT is up in the air.

Yeah, we are too. As soon as you know what's up -just let us know and we'll set something up.
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Scent-stopper pommels don't mess with the edge alignment nearly as much as disc pommels do. I guess that in the end it all comes down to personal preference though, but I really prefer the type T pommels over any other pommels.

It is really a matter of preference and utility, I suppose. Some like to work a sword differently than others do - i.e. gripping the pommel like a shift-knob is a bit more comfortable and I have more diversity of movement with a Talhoffer-style pommel than I would with the Fiore's for example. Using a scent stopper on a Viking sword would be suicidal, though... unless you like throwing your sword. The fishtail on the Regent is actually something of a hybrid, and I rather dig it, too. The Munich will have a disc... I have learned that I can be pretty flexible and learn to work with the tool at/in hand.

All that said, I find the Talhoffer's hilting a pleasure, and look forward to having one.

Joachim wrote:
The XV-variants are really coming on strong now. Thanks to PJ and Albion. You'll get a good spread of the XV types by owning three of them. I totally agree about the aesthetics too. Not to mention the handling. The Talhoffer have made my waster feel very awkward and clumpsy. Granted, a waster is a tool with its own merits, but for floryshing purposes I'll stick to the Talhoffer from know on. Have tried some bare handed halvswording with it too, but that created more questions than it answered any. Confused

Joachim wrote:
Oh well.... I guess I should refrain from telling you that I'm bidding on an antique navy pike right now. Ooops! Guess I just told you. Razz I'll probably lose that in no time at all though. Especially considering I don't really have the money to play around with auctions right now. Heck.... The last of my cash will actually go to tickets to the premiere of King Kong on Dec. 14th.

Fair enough... guess I could drop a hint, too... do the initials "PJ" mean anything? Wink

Tormenting aside, I hope it does work out - and if it doesn't, enjoy the movie.

Joachim wrote:
Aaron wrote:

Yeah, we are too. As soon as you know what's up -just let us know and we'll set something up.

Will do, brother! It seems I'm finding nearly as many friends in your corner of the world as I am in mine! Got to find a way to "come home" - see where my ancestors are from... and catch up with all of you. Hopefully, things will be settling down over the next 3-4 months.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

It is really a matter of preference and utility, I suppose. Some like to work a sword differently than others do - i.e. gripping the pommel like a shift-knob is a bit more comfortable and I have more diversity of movement with a Talhoffer-style pommel than I would with the Fiore's for example. Using a scent stopper on a Viking sword would be suicidal, though... unless you like throwing your sword. The fishtail on the Regent is actually something of a hybrid, and I rather dig it, too. The Munich will have a disc... I have learned that I can be pretty flexible and learn to work with the tool at/in hand.

All that said, I find the Talhoffer's hilting a pleasure, and look forward to having one.

A scenstopper on a viking sword! LOL! Big Grin Now there's a sight. Flexibility with the tool used at the moment is of course a pre-requisite for using any of these tools. I guess it comes down to perhaps being to used to using wasters with scentstoppers. But the scentstopper pommels allow for a wide range of gripping motions and a fluidity in changing grips that other pommels perhaps don't allow.

Quote:
Fair enough... guess I could drop a hint, too... do the initials "PJ" mean anything? Wink

Somehow I aldready had that figured out. Razz

Quote:
Tormenting aside, I hope it does work out - and if it doesn't, enjoy the movie.

Guess I'm gonna have to enjoy the movie 'cause I just got outbid.

Quote:

Will do, brother! It seems I'm finding nearly as many friends in your corner of the world as I am in mine! Got to find a way to "come home" - see where my ancestors are from... and catch up with all of you. Hopefully, things will be settling down over the next 3-4 months.[/quote]

And to think... that so many people believe us Swedes to be a very tight-lipped and quiet people. Happy We're definately looking forward to when things have settled down for you so we can get tis show on the road.
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
A scenstopper on a viking sword! LOL! Big Grin Now there's a sight.

Big Grin

Yeah, it looked/sounded pretty rediculous when I typed it in the first place! Something like this came to mind:

"3.... 2....1.... LIFT OFF!"

or

"... here we are at the top of the seventh inning... bases loaded... and Thorvald goes into the wind-up... the pitch..."

Seriously, though, try "shaking hands" with a scent stopper, and you'll find it difficult to maintain control of. I believe there is lots more than simple aesthetics to design of pommels. Peter, Eric, Harlan, and I talked for a while about pommel and hilt design, when I questioned why in the world there was a saddle-shaped pommel on the back of a dagger - Peter surmised it was for solid placement of a thumb across the butt end when in an icepick grip - makes a hell of a lot of sense to me!

Joachim wrote:
Flexibility with the tool used at the moment is of course a pre-requisite for using any of these tools. I guess it comes down to perhaps being to used to using wasters with scentstoppers. But the scentstopper pommels allow for a wide range of gripping motions and a fluidity in changing grips that other pommels perhaps don't allow.

Agreed, 100%. Even amongst scent-stoppers, there is a lot of variation, too... Look at the Talhoffer vs. the Brescia, for example... I actually really find the Brescia to be comfortable, but not everyone agrees with me. With it's sharper features, you can't roll your hand on it, and you can't grip it too tightly. You can determine precise and predictable alignment, though, with it's facets. Look, too, at something like the Castellan or the fishtail of the Regent - these are in-betweens and I find them quite pleasant, too, though a little less useable in the same way as the more bulbous ones.

Joachim wrote:
Aaron wrote:
]Fair enough... guess I could drop a hint, too... do the initials "PJ" mean anything? Wink

Somehow I already had that figured out. Razz

Razz Figured as much.

Joachim wrote:
Guess I'm gonna have to enjoy the movie 'cause I just got outbid.

bah.... WTF?! There will be other things in the future, bud...
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh man... I was just about to grab the Talhoffer and go out and do some floryshing. But noo-o. Now the temp has gone up and the air has become moist and there's a light drizzle. This sucks. Evil
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Seriously, though, try "shaking hands" with a scent stopper, and you'll find it difficult to maintain control of. I believe there is lots more than simple aesthetics to design of pommels. Peter, Eric, Harlan, and I talked for a while about pommel and hilt design, when I questioned why in the world there was a saddle-shaped pommel on the back of a dagger - Peter surmised it was for solid placement of a thumb across the butt end when in an icepick grip - makes a hell of a lot of sense to me!

Absolutely. One should never get tricked into believing that the pommels are pure aesthetics. Even the more odd looking pommels offer different gripping options that make thm optimal for what they are intended to do.

Quote:
Agreed, 100%. Even amongst scent-stoppers, there is a lot of variation, too... Look at the Talhoffer vs. the Brescia, for example... I actually really find the Brescia to be comfortable, but not everyone agrees with me. With it's sharper features, you can't roll your hand on it, and you can't grip it too tightly. You can determine precise and predictable alignment, though, with it's facets. Look, too, at something like the Castellan or the fishtail of the Regent - these are in-betweens and I find them quite pleasant, too, though a little less useable in the same way as the more bulbous ones.

Yes. I was actually thinking about variation in scenstoppers and what these variations have to offer some time ago. But, as usual, I've forgotten mor eoriginal train of thought so... never mind. The Talhoffer pommel though is.... Mm, yes. Try for instance going from Vom Dach into a Zornort. Peeerfect for that.

Peter was quite delighted when I showed him that the fishtail on the Regent could be fingered and gripped in a certain way to maximaize point control etc.

Quote:
bah.... WTF?! There will be other things in the future, bud...

Yes. But probably not at those prices. Worried Oh well, King Kong premiers next week so i shouldn't complain. Have been waiting for that one for a looong time.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
do the initials "PJ" mean anything?

Peter Jackson. The director of King Kong.

Laughing Out Loud
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Laughing Out Loud

Laughing Out Loud
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Laughing Out Loud

Laughing Out Loud

Eek!

WTF?!

Uh, yeah... I'll give you half credit... Razz
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Laughing Out Loud

Laughing Out Loud

Eek!

WTF?!

Uh, yeah... I'll give you half credit... Razz

You SO set yourself up for that one, Aaron. Laughing Out Loud
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

No argument there, brother... Razz
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

No argument there, brother... Razz

Cool Razz

I'm currently hard at work experimenting with the Talhoffer, but it's kinda hsush-hush since it's for a project so I really can't tell you anything. Just thought I'd throw out a hint and give you a heads up. Cool
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
I'm currently hard at work experimenting with the Talhoffer, but it's kinda hsush-hush since it's for a project so I really can't tell you anything. Just thought I'd throw out a hint and give you a heads up. Cool

... is it one of the two top-secret projects that I officially have no knowledge of? Wink
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

... is it one of the two top-secret projects that I officially have no knowledge of? Wink

Yep. Or..... Two?!
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Yep. Or..... Two?!

Cool

Check your email... Wink
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread from 2005. I remember these "introducing" pieces from Albion fondly, that they ran as each new NG model came out. If you look, you can see that my posts here show a lot of excitement over the Talhoffer,but I never did get around to buying one --- until now. It popped up over at Kult of Athena and,even though I had already reached my sword buying quota for 2019, I figured I might never get another chance to get it without a long wait.

It is a good looking sword, though kind of spare. The black waisted grip enhances its looks. It isn't a light sword at 3 lbs 9 oz, but is balanced so well that two handed use is easy, and it is very responsive. Interesting that the COG is right at the Albion makers mark

Attachment: 96.34 KB
Talhoffer14s.jpg

Attachment: 98.43 KB
Talhoffer12s.jpg

Attachment: 93.76 KB
Talhoffer4s.jpg

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Looks great and that's cool you finally got around to getting one.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Talhoffer
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: