13th Cent Sword Found in Shropshire, Templar
A sword was found in a cave in Shropshire, and is thought to be 13th Century, and possibly Templar. It is being verified as authentic, and yet the auctioneer (from a very small, kind of silly auction house) is only valuing it at £1,500. Seems like she is missing a zero if it’s real!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-shropshire-48719554

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/shrewsbury/2019/06/25/sword-found-in-shropshires-caynton-caves-may-be-precious-13th-century-weapon/

Thoughts?
Z
I think we can safely discount the Templar angle. The Templar link to the find site seems tenuous at best.
I concur, the templar connection seems a bit tenuous --but the time frame 13th cent, and the shape look spot on. If we look at auction records, knightly swords in relic condition tend to get at least £10k, and this one has clear provenance.

Z

EDIT: If they determine it is legal to sell that is.
Zach Gordon wrote:
I concur, the templar connection seems a bit tenuous --but the time frame 13th cent, and the shape look spot on. If we look at auction records, knightly swords in relic condition tend to get at least £10k, and this one has clear provenance.

Z

EDIT: If they determine it is legal to sell that is.

The provenance may be part of the issue. It was found in a "cave" which local historians thought was 19th century or maybe 17th. How does a 13th century sword get there? If it is scientifically confirmed, though, it sets the local archaeologists a challenge to reinterpret the find site.

On sale, the issue I think will be the finder's title to it. The museum service might ask to buy it from the owner but he/she should be able to auction it. But the owner could be the landowner, rather than the finder.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: