Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for a Longsword for Cutting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Francois d'Auzon

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Looking for a Longsword for Cutting         Reply with quote

Hi. So I've been doing HEMA for awhile, and have started to get interested in trying my hand at some cutting tournaments. To date I've only been practicing with blunted feders, so I'm not entirely sure where to start with a cutting sword. I've looked at several reviews and the Cold Steel has a (very) cheap one that sounds like it might be good for regular cutting practice. There's a decent chance I'll pick it up. I read that because it's not "perfect" it helps you work harder on your technique to get correct cuts (which translates effectively when you eventually do get a better made blade). So that doesn't seem like a bad start.

But I'm also interested in getting a quality sword to use outside of practice and in tournaments, that would double as a piece of art to wall hang (not just a wall hanger though... effective cutting is the real focus). I wouldn't say money is "no" object. But I can pay up to 2000 or 3000$ US for something that's both effective and beautiful.

I don't know enough about actual swords to really say what I'd like in the blade for sure... which is sort of a problem. I'm open to any advice there. But I do know that I'm - very - partial to long grips. My feder is the Mark 5 from Castille Armory with the extended 12" grip length, and that's about ideal for me. I'd really not want to go much shorter. The albion crecy looked nice, but a 9" grip is a bit short for me I think.

I've read very good things about the Albion Principe when it comes to cutting, but (artistically) the wide blade puts me off too much in terms of design. That's a bit of a silly concern for a cutting sword I guess, but it's expensive enough that if I'm going to buy one, I think it's reasonable to also want one I appreciate the design of.

I guess I could always get a custom built sword somewhere to ensure it had specifications I was comfortable with, but I just wanted to put this out here and see if anyone might have some recommendations for existing commercially available blades.

Thanks in advance!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim makes great cutting swords - http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...a+Warsword
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would go custom with A&A.

Then you can have the specific dimensions you are looking for- plus their prices are pretty good for custom work.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several really nice cutting longswords in the classifieds at the moment, including an Albion Gallowglass and a custom piece by Angus Trim and Sonny Suttles (of Valiant Armoury)...
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I would go custom with A&A.

Then you can have the specific dimensions you are looking for- plus their prices are pretty good for custom work.

Why wait, when you can snatch a perfectly awesome Type XVIIIc now?

https://www.arms-n-armor.com/collections/muster-collection/products/longsword

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for a Longsword for Cutting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic