Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bauernwehr & byknifeDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jul, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Bauernwehr & byknife         Reply with quote

I went out of my comfort zone and made a bauernwehr with a byknife and pricker. I made this as a gift for a friend.

The bauernwehr and byknife were forged from O-1 tool steel. The guard, nagel, and pricker were forged from mild steel.

The grip scales are Red Deer antler.

It's a bit rough, as I was pressed for time, and I couldn't spend the time that I wanted to get it nice and clean. The leather sheath, in particular, is pretty bad. I screwed up the tip so badly that I had to cover it up with a chape. I used mild steel sheet for the chape, which was fabricated in a traditional medieval fashion. But learned a lot from this experience, and look forward to trying it again with some new ideas.

I am particularly interested in how other have fabricated the out layer than holds the byknives. I sewed an inner layer of leather around the blade, then added two thin sheets of 1/32" Birch for some stiffness.Then I sewed an outer layer of leather around the entire sheath. Finally, I added one more layer of leather for the byknife and pricker. So, in actuality, the lower half of the sheath has 3 layers of leather and a strip of Birch.

Attachment: 85.47 KB
IMGP3690.JPG

Attachment: 87.28 KB
IMGP3717.JPG

Attachment: 90.07 KB
IMGP3706.JPG

Attachment: 77.74 KB
IMGP3697.JPG

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice job Harry, I think it looks great, don't see anything that looks 'rushed'.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That set looks great! When I've made byknives I created single-layer sheaths for them, rough side out, glued them to the wood core, covered them with the scabbard leather, cut through the scabbard cover into the mouths of the internal sheaths and burnished the cover to shape it to the internal sheaths.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ian. But if you look at my last photo, you can see where the parts of the bolster don't mate cleanly. That's just one of many problems.

Sean I like your idea. Thanks, I'll have to play around with that method.
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The whole set looks nice! I did the same as Mr Flynt. The area just above the mouths of the internal sheaths can get tricky and wrinkle, depending on the size / thickness of the side-knifes, but if you soak leather well it should work.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Thanks Ian. But if you look at my last photo, you can see where the parts of the bolster don't mate cleanly. That's just one of many problems.

Sean I like your idea. Thanks, I'll have to play around with that method.

Hey, I bet you will see that on some originals too!

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never made a sheath so I can't give advice but I think that looks great! What a brilliant gift! When you make something yourself then the tiny mistakes you made will always scream at you but I think this looks great.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bauernwehr & byknifeDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic