Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Combination polearm+cannon match? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Nordlund

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Combination polearm+cannon match?         Reply with quote

I saw this pole arm in a museum (The middle one in the picture) in Frankfurt last year and I am quite curious. My guess would be that it holds a match for a cannon or something similar but I am unsure.

There was a booklet in the room with quick descriptions of the items but I forgot to check up this particular piece when I was there and I do not seem to find anything useful on google so I turn to you people.

So I wonder what it is, if it has a more searchable name than "Match holding pole arm" or "botefeux polarm hybrid" and lastly if there are more images to be found of this kind of thing.

Edit: Link to the pic since I cant seem to get it up on this site-__-
https://imgur.com/a/9xjVqeI
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pole used to hold a match cord for the firing of artillery is called a linstock. Many did include spikes or spear heads so the linstock could be used as a pole arm, and many of them were quite ornate like the one you included a photo of. The double headed eagle design is very appealing to the eye. Many different nations and principalities (Russia and Austria to name a couple) used the double headed eagle as a symbol, so someone more knowledgeable than me will have to help you narrow that part down.
Sic Semper Tyranus
M. Nordlund

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!
Has anyone ever seen any other that is built in a similar manner, with with basically a wingnut to press two pieces of sheet metal together?
It seems to be a bit of an unusual construction.
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear M. Nordlund,

On Sunday 28 July 2019, you wrote:
Thanks a lot!
Has anyone ever seen any other that is built in a similar manner, with with basically a wingnut to press two pieces of sheet metal together?
It seems to be a bit of an unusual construction.

I haven't seen other linstocks built that way--most seem to rely on winding the matchcord around a series of projections and catching it in the crevices between them--but the cocks of matchlock muskets often rely on a similar system, in which a thumb-screw is used to tighten a pair of flanges on both sides of the matchcord, sandwiching it in place.

Best,

Mark Millman

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Combination polearm+cannon match?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic