Bauernwehr & byknife
I went out of my comfort zone and made a bauernwehr with a byknife and pricker. I made this as a gift for a friend.

The bauernwehr and byknife were forged from O-1 tool steel. The guard, nagel, and pricker were forged from mild steel.

The grip scales are Red Deer antler.

It's a bit rough, as I was pressed for time, and I couldn't spend the time that I wanted to get it nice and clean. The leather sheath, in particular, is pretty bad. I screwed up the tip so badly that I had to cover it up with a chape. I used mild steel sheet for the chape, which was fabricated in a traditional medieval fashion. But learned a lot from this experience, and look forward to trying it again with some new ideas.

I am particularly interested in how other have fabricated the out layer than holds the byknives. I sewed an inner layer of leather around the blade, then added two thin sheets of 1/32" Birch for some stiffness.Then I sewed an outer layer of leather around the entire sheath. Finally, I added one more layer of leather for the byknife and pricker. So, in actuality, the lower half of the sheath has 3 layers of leather and a strip of Birch.

Attachment: 85.47 KB
IMGP3690.JPG

Attachment: 87.28 KB
IMGP3717.JPG

Attachment: 90.07 KB
IMGP3706.JPG

Attachment: 77.74 KB
IMGP3697.JPG

Very nice job Harry, I think it looks great, don't see anything that looks 'rushed'.
That set looks great! When I've made byknives I created single-layer sheaths for them, rough side out, glued them to the wood core, covered them with the scabbard leather, cut through the scabbard cover into the mouths of the internal sheaths and burnished the cover to shape it to the internal sheaths.
Thanks Ian. But if you look at my last photo, you can see where the parts of the bolster don't mate cleanly. That's just one of many problems.

Sean I like your idea. Thanks, I'll have to play around with that method.
The whole set looks nice! I did the same as Mr Flynt. The area just above the mouths of the internal sheaths can get tricky and wrinkle, depending on the size / thickness of the side-knifes, but if you soak leather well it should work.
Harry Marinakis wrote:
Thanks Ian. But if you look at my last photo, you can see where the parts of the bolster don't mate cleanly. That's just one of many problems.

Sean I like your idea. Thanks, I'll have to play around with that method.

Hey, I bet you will see that on some originals too!
I've never made a sheath so I can't give advice but I think that looks great! What a brilliant gift! When you make something yourself then the tiny mistakes you made will always scream at you but I think this looks great.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: