Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Leather grip wrap - looking for craftsman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Leather grip wrap - looking for craftsman         Reply with quote

Hello,
I am looking for a craftsman to create a leather wrap for my sword grip. The grip has a pronounced waist and one chord riser. I'm not interested in acquiring the tools or learning leatherwork. I'd rather work steel with my time. I live in NW Washington State and would prefer someone within the region. Any recommendations?
-Adair

Attachment: 148.92 KB
[ Download ]
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Kunz at DBK Custom Scabbards can do that from very basic to quite fancy, including the options for embossing and wire wraps.
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher is worth a try and is over in Boise. www.christianfletcher.com
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions. I've inquired a number of places with no takers yet. The reality of small projects I suppose, it is not very interesting for a craftsman.

-Adair
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jun, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know you say you aren't interested in acquiring the tools or learning leather work... but this is just so so easy, and requires no tools --the albion-style leather/cord wrap. Just wrap some masking tape around the grip, and slice with a knife.. there is your pattern. Stick the pattern down on a piece of leather.. and add a little bit for overlap. Use a knife or razor to thin the sides for a cleaner seam.. and wrap it around the grip and bind with string. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTg0Oc0mQy4

It is the easiest way and requires zero tools or experience, if you have a knife/string/glue lying around your house workshop.

There are other topics with tips. It is just so easy.
https://www.artisanleather.co.uk/08-1mm-undyed-veg-tan-leather-a4.html

The problem is shipping it to someone, having them do it, and ship back --it is just more hassle than a leatherworker could possibly charge for such a small project.

Best,
Z
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jun, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,
Thanks for the clarification.

Zach, It appears DIY is my only option. There are certain types of work that I just can't stand. Anything with fussy glue or solvents or stains just drives me up the wall. I'll forge, grind and file all day, but don't ask me to patina anything!
I've watched and read all the tutorials, but thank you for taking the time to share the link. I hoped to find someone near me with basic experience, making the project more feasible.
-A
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Adair,
If you do go DIY, try to check out a Tandy Leather brick&mortar location. I can vouch for the Shoreline WA shop as at least having a knowledgeable and articulate staff (in the last year at least). They’ll at least be able to offer you insight into working the materials and might be able to point you toward a craftsperson who’d offer services.
Another possibility would be to find your local SCA chapter. They have a reputation for eccentricity but they do have some talented crafters amongst them.
Your metalwork is great, by the way.
-Eric
Max Maydanik

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very funny. I came here to ask the exactly same question. I have contacted both Mr. Fletcher and Brian and they both could not take the job due to number of bigger projects. And all I wanted was to get half-wire on the hilt of my Albion Liechtenauer.
I did the leather handle myself a few times but my gauntlets made a short work out of it pretty quickly.

- What do you prefer: a reconstruction of historical fencing or a real swordfight?
- Historical reconstruction of course. In the real swordfight, they just look at each other, mumble something and then ..a deathblow.
And in a historical reconstruction you have to think, plan your strategy and count points.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Leather grip wrap - looking for craftsman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic