Lobera Sword Information
Good evening all,
I have been researching the legendary Lobera sword that was wielded by Ferdinand III. All that I've really found is the same information regarding its legendary Origins, but I'm trying to find more practical information on it. Is the hilt gilded? Are there stones embedded in it? And if so, what are the stones?
All I know is of now is that it is 85.4cm long, 5.3cm at widest, and is a XII type with a rounded tip. Has anybody seen this sword up close at the Cathedral of Seville? If anyone has any insight or knowledge regarding the sword, please comment below.
Thank you so much for your help!
-CRO
Is this the one you are looking for?

Attachment: 225.81 KB
Sword of St. Ferdinand III ca.13th.C. Royal-Armoury-Madrid 5 .jpg

Attachment: 318.16 KB
Sword of St. Ferdinand III ca.13th.C. Royal-Armoury-Madrid 6 .jpg

Re: Lobera Sword Information
C. R. Oquendo wrote:
All I know is of now is that it is 85.4cm long, 5.3cm at widest, and is a XII type with a rounded tip. Has anybody seen this sword up close at the Cathedral of Seville?

The measurements you have given are for sword G.21 in the Royal Armoury in Madrid, the blade of which matches the description of a "Lobera" in an inventory of circa 1500... soon thereafter the sword was confused for El Cid's sword Colada, and was described as such for centuries thereafter.

The sword Michael has posted is number G.22, which by it's quality and estimated dating is generally attributed to Fernando III (or his son Alfonso X), but this one is easily identifiable in the same inventory where it is named as "Joyeuse" and attributed to Roland.

The most detailed description of the sword in the cathedral of Seville is probably an article by María Isabel Herráez Martín, "La espada de Fernando III el Santo", written after the sword was restored in 2001. This sword is quite possibly a genuine relic of the king, but I'm not aware of any historical documents that attribute the name "Lobera" to it, and it is definitely not the sword so-named from the Royal Armoury. I have some semi-presentable notes and bibliography on this topic, if there is interest...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: