Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sarmatian Type 2 Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tor G.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Sarmatian Type 2 Swords         Reply with quote

Very little (if any) is written about these types of swords online. I don't expect any responses to this, but if you do have information about how these swords looked, other than their lengths and pommels, then any respons would be helpful.

These are the swords described in the Ospreys book The Sarmatians, as becoming the dominant type until the 5th C AD.

I have obviously never seen a reconstruction of these.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's this article: https://www.scribd.com/document/78338687/Sarmatian-Swords-2-ROMEC

I don't know the typology of Sarmation weapons. If you're talking about the ring-hilt, short cross, spatha-like weapon then besides the various images available on line, Albion was developing a type like this for some years ago. I saw it discussed here, but has not hit production so far as know.
Tor G.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
There's this article: https://www.scribd.com/document/78338687/Sarmatian-Swords-2-ROMEC

I don't know the typology of Sarmation weapons. If you're talking about the ring-hilt, short cross, spatha-like weapon then besides the various images available on line, Albion was developing a type like this for some years ago. I saw it discussed here, but has not hit production so far as know.

Thanks for the reply. No, it is not the ring pommel swords. These swords have a pommel in a separate piece.
They were in use at the same time, but (type 2) are much longer and narrower.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is thread about these swords on roman army talk forum. It was contributed by the late member with a nick Allanus I think. The guy was really knowledgeable about sarmatians and their equipment.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look at Long Sword and Scabbard Slide in Asia by Trousdale, lots of info there.

Blades can have either lenticular or rhomboidal sections. Many examples show extensive cloisonné decoration, while simpler examples sometimes have organic guards. The pommel in at least one example shown in Trousdale's book is very simply attached to the wooden grip with a single copper nail, not a very robust construction at all. I hope this helps a bit. I have quite a few pics of examples of this type of sword on a thumb drive somewhere. I have not been able to find it yet, but I'll keep looking.

I found 1 pic of cloisonne example from Crimea I believe.

Attachment: 66.07 KB
sarmatian cloisonne.jpg

Tor G.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
There is thread about these swords on roman army talk forum. It was contributed by the late member with a nick Allanus I think. The guy was really knowledgeable about sarmatians and their equipment.

I sent him a message a few days ago.
I've been looking through those threads. Didn't find anything directly, but a book that was recommended might help. Sadly it's too expensive for me atm (buying it without knowing), and it's in german (which i don't speak).
If anyone is interested it's called Das Schwert der Skythen und Sarmaten by Waldemar Ginters.

Last edited by Tor G. on Wed 30 Jan, 2019 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Tor G.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
Look at Long Sword and Scabbard Slide in Asia by Trousdale, lots of info there.

Blades can have either lenticular or rhomboidal sections. Many examples show extensive cloisonné decoration, while simpler examples sometimes have organic guards. The pommel in at least one example shown in Trousdale's book is very simply attached to the wooden grip with a single copper nail, not a very robust construction at all. I hope this helps a bit. I have quite a few pics of examples of this type of sword on a thumb drive somewhere. I have not been able to find it yet, but I'll keep looking.

I found 1 pic of cloisonne example from Crimea I believe.

Thanks.
I looked through the book, but I don't think it has enough details of what I need.
Images would be great, don't worry if you can't find them though. Happy
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found a few more pics.

Attachment: 395.17 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 300.41 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 248.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 205.77 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 202.04 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 132.96 KB
[ Download ]
Tor G.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
I found a few more pics.

Thank you, great stuff!
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could not find the overall pics of the Stara Zagora swords, though closeups of furniture and a line drawing are shown in one of the pics above. I am glad you brought this topic up. Years ago I was planning on reconstructing one of these and put a lot of time into making a stone pommel. Now maybe I will finally get around to finishing one. Keep checking this topic, I'll add pics as I find them. Are you only interested in the long-bladed long-gripped versions? There are short sword versions too.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could not find the overall pics of the Stara Zagora swords, though closeups of furniture and a line drawing are shown in one of the pics above. I am glad you brought this topic up. Years ago I was planning on reconstructing one of these and put a lot of time into making a stone pommel. Now maybe I will finally get around to finishing one. Keep checking this topic, I'll add pics as I find them. Are you only interested in the long-bladed long-gripped versions? There are short sword versions too.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sarmatian Type 2 Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic