Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2019? -and what did you get in 2018? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My main purchase in 2018 was that Pikula pattern-welded Viking sword that ended up on KoA. The final one of seven he made. I could not be happier with it. Otherwise just pocketknives, a Sebenza 21 and an osoraku zukuri folder from Williams Blade Design. The only major purchase I have planned for 2019 is a new shotgun (Fox A Grade, made by Connecticut Shotgun for Savage), and maybe a scabbard for the custom A&A rapier I picked up back in 2016. Speaking of rapiers, if Albion finally releases the Capo Ferro, I'll grab one of those too. Not holding my breath, though. That one has been on my list for a long time.

I'm deployed at the moment (and about to be promoted to commander Big Grin), so I'll finish the year with a pile of money. But I need to sock a good portion of that away for grad school, so setting limits is necessary. Only one major toy for me this year.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuff I got in 2018:

A&A English Bill
Selborne-Blackmoor Spear by Neil Burridge
St Erth Winged Palstave Axe by Neil Burridge
G7 Wilsford Barrow Dagger by Neil Burridge
Kimberly Dirk by Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Stuff I'd like to get in 2019:

Carp's Tongue Sword by Neil Burridge
Albion Roman Gladius of some sort
A&A Gothic Mace
A&A Black Prince

Last edited by Aaron Hoard on Thu 27 Dec, 2018 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Gawain

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Craig, your response was excellent         Reply with quote

Thanks Craig and I think you are right. I was trying to decide which sword to show my 2019 wishlist, and I was on the fence with either the O Katana or The Meister, by Albion's Grossemesser. So you hit it right on with the Soldat grossmesser. And aesthetically speaking that Meister's hilt has the same design and grip capability on my kriesgsmesser's pommel with a fuller that continues the length of the grip to the guard.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Got a Castle Keep second hand of another member here:

https://www.facebook.com/castlekeepskye/posts/for-sale-blackwraith-swordhollow-ground-hand-forged-33-blade-in-en-45-spring-ste/1232654853508299/

Its named Blackwraith and its real nice! Also bought some Windlass bits to hang on the wall. Shield. Buckler. Arma Bohemia rondel dagger. Falchion (which is decent) but the Caslte Keep is the single exciting thing I have.

Have a Lockwood coming. Perhaps in January. Considering a budget breastplate, bardiche, and a helmet.

Once the Lockwood gets here with its scabbard, I'm thinking that I'm going to get some Ringmesh maille. Since there's nothing out there that costs less than a house that is particularly historically accurate, I figure go with something more comfortable and compact for storage (I need to downsize). I also have my eye on a helmet (not sure how that works with downsize). Maybe some kind of an ax.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I didn't get anything in 2018 and will be selling a lot in 2019.

Wish I was in a position to buy - you often have things that are very interesting to me, and I would be respectful of items from your collection.
James Rogers

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got an Albion Kingmaker on order that should come around the end of summer. My father and I intend to make a scabbard for it together.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sadly, the only blade purchase I made last year was a folder for EDC. I gave my Albion Stamford to my dad for his birthday-- some of his favorite periods in history are the Norman conquest and the first Crusades, so it seemed fitting.

I still have that old ATrim bastard sword I bought 15 years ago. As I'm not going to have the funds for a new sword this year, I'd be content with finding someone who can make some new hilt fittings and a scabbard for it. If anyone has some recommendations, I'm all ears.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Petr Vcelak

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: My addition to my new kit from last year         Reply with quote

I basically left the full contact fighting background (HMB/BOTN) and decided to go more historical way as I felt need to do so for a longer time. So got rid off my so typically and neutral (generally wrong) armour kit, get some decent money back as I always took care of it and with some more money I'm getting armour kit based on effigies from England years 1390-1400. I spent like 2 last years by proper study of sources and study to get this one right while staying within my budget.

last year I got myself several things to start with:
- my own hand sewn Charles of Blois pourpoint inspired arming garment
- handsewn turnshoes with side lacing to not compromise wearing sabatons
- mail haubergeon, 9mm flat rings, all riveted.
- Houndskul bascinet (1977-167-53a,b Museum of Art in Philadelphia) with my own handsewn helmet and aventail liners and 9mm flat rings, all riveted mail aventail.

Pictures attached.

This year I expect to get rest of my kit done (Arm harness, hourglas gauntlets, breastplate with fauld, leg harness and sabatons) measurements already taken by my smith.

Attachment: 42.71 KB
49949046_396609701081109_1120802107079786496_n.jpg
basic turn shoes with side lacing for being worn with sabatons.

Attachment: 74.41 KB
Arming garment inspired by pourpoint of Charles of Blois. Made by myself, hand sewn. [ Download ]

Attachment: 173.76 KB
Mail haubergeon [ Download ]

Attachment: 57.35 KB
Houndskul bascinet inspired by the one displayed in Philadelphia. [ Download ]

Attachment: 46.36 KB
Here you can see the side view without the visor. The aventail covers sides of the face and chin, going all the way up to the eye level as it is supposed to. [ Download ]

Attachment: 99.11 KB
Inside of the helmet, the linen liner with parachute suspension. [ Download ]
E Stafford

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I missed out, but could someone recommend a good World War I replica maker? I wouldn't mind having a replica trench club or something made.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E Stafford wrote:
Well, I missed out, but could someone recommend a good World War I replica maker? I wouldn't mind having a replica trench club or something made.

I don't know about clubs, but Plowshare Forge makes WWI trench knives, among other things. - https://www.plowshareforge.com/
E Stafford

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I came across him, but it's been a while since his website was updated.
Victor R.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E Stafford wrote:

There's actually a makers' challenge going on in a FB group where I'm an admin, called "WEAPONS", where the focus is WWI trench weapons. I think one or two folks are making clubs. Contest ends February 7th and one of the makers will likely be willing to sell when done. Did warhammers for Q3 of 2018 - a few nice ones came out of that contest.
E Stafford

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:

There's actually a makers' challenge going on in a FB group where I'm an admin, called "WEAPONS", where the focus is WWI trench weapons. I think one or two folks are making clubs. Contest ends February 7th and one of the makers will likely be willing to sell when done. Did warhammers for Q3 of 2018 - a few nice ones came out of that contest.

Could you post a direct link please? A facebook search is giving me more than I can sort effectively. Thanks.
Victor R.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E Stafford wrote:
Victor R. wrote:

Could you post a direct link please? A facebook search is giving me more than I can sort effectively. Thanks.

Ask and ye shall receive. Wink

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ULAweapons/
E Stafford

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

request sent. Thanks.
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might finally pull the trigger on ordering a Albion Prince. It is a gap in my 14th century sword collection that I have endured for too long. There are only a few other swords I am pining for to complete my ideal of having an Oakeshott of each type from XII to XVIII.

I also would like to buy a 6mm aventail for my Hedgecock bascinet. But the past few months have been rough. I didn't buy much of anything except food, clothing and rent in 2018.
-Terry
Baard H

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Pavel Moc. An Oakeshott X from the 12th century. 103,8 cm long!

Attachment: 124.38 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 145.04 KB
[ Download ]

At kveldi skal dag leyfa,
konu, er brennd er,
mæki, er reyndr er,
mey, er gefin er,
ís, er yfir kemr,
öl, er drukkit er.
-Hávamál, vísa 81
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I currently have commissions in place with Maciej Kopciuch for a Polish Type Y Viking era sword, with Eric McHugh for a steel/iron version of his St. Annen sword, and Rob Miller for a large Scottish Basket Hilt (that one might take until 2020).

Forgot that I ordered an Albion Squire Line Vinland from Viking Shield until they contacted me last week. It's the unsharpened version: something soft and cozy to cuddle while I watch 'Vikings'. Wink Hope it arrives in time for the season finale.
Chris Dayton

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Baard H wrote:
My Pavel Moc. An Oakeshott X from the 12th century. 103,8 cm long!

Beautiful piece. Love the slightly flared crossguard.
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2018 Was a big year for me!

Picked up:
A DBK scabbard for my Albion Prince
Albion Sempach (second hand)
Albion Regent (from Albion)
Albion Huskarl (second hand)
Windlass "Euopean" sword
A&A Burgundian Poleaxe
Tod Rondel Dagger

2019 (need to slow down):
Scabbard from Tod's Workshop for Regent (ordered)
Del Tin 5159 (ordered)
Tod Cutler quillon Dagger (have)
Baselard Dagger of some sort.
Maybe a Type XVIII of some sort.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2019? -and what did you get in 2018?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: