CCB 46 Vintage Machete - Help to Identify
Dear Colleagues,

Please help me with some advices.

I just bought this Machete. It has a engraved "CCB" and the number "46"

• Can you please look at the pictures and tell me your opinion about this model ( dating, value and other characteristics )

Thanks for helping me with these answers !
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
What can "CCB"mean ?
My guess is that it was originally a sword that had been broken at some stage of its life. It was subsequently recovered, ground to shape, and had that grip added to it.
Dan Howard wrote:
My guess is that it was originally a sword that had been broken at some stage of its life. It was subsequently recovered, ground to shape, and had that grip added to it.

The person who sold me this macete, told me it can be from Indonezia/Philippines ...
That blade has been ground down from something else; it wasn't originally made like that. It should be decent steel if it was originally a longer sword but it wouldn't make a good machete because the balance looks off. I can't think of a use for it off the top of my head. To function as an effective machete it either needs to be longer or to be wider at the tip.

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]
Dan Howard wrote:
That blade has been ground down from something else; it wasn't originally made like that. It should be decent steel if it was originally a longer sword but it wouldn't make a good machete because the balance looks off. I can't think of a use for it off the top of my head. To function as an effective machete it either needs to be longer or to be wider at the tip.

The bend near the tip is puzzling if it came from most swords ? That is unless the blade was reworked at the forge and that bend hammered in for some reason and re-heat treated ?

Could be a butcher knife ? CCB could be someones initials, could be the maker's mark and 46 might mean that someone made at least 46 knives.

Maybe forged from a leaf spring ? In any case it's somewhat crude but probably functional if well heat treated ?

Anything crudely made in a small shop is not something of a pattern easily identified.
Dan Howard wrote:

The bend near the tip is puzzling if it came from most swords ? That is unless the blade was reworked at the forge and that bend hammered in for some reason and re-heat treated ?

Could be a butcher knife ? CCB could be someones initials, could be the maker's mark and 46 might mean that someone made at least 46 knives ?

Maybe forged from a leaf spring ? In any case it's somewhat crude but probably functional if well heat treated ?

Anything crudely made in a small shop is not something of a pattern easily identified.
The initials combined with the number suggests that it was originally part of a mass-production run for the military.The shallow fuller and the position of the number suggests that it was originally a lot longer than it is now.

It is hard to tell but I think the fuller looks like this.

[ Linked Image ]

If true, then the blade was broken and reground. I think it was originally a cavalry sabre or perhaps a naval hanger. It isn't worth anything unless it has a special story tied up with its provenance or it originally belonged to someone famous.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: