Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your opinions about this helmet? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Petr Vcelak

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Your opinions about this helmet?         Reply with quote

Hello there guys,
I would like to know your opinion about this helmet bellow? Is there anything wrong with shape or something else that strikes you in the eyes on first sight? thank you

Attachment: 104.8 KB
Front [ Download ]

Attachment: 72.74 KB
Back [ Download ]
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks pretty decent to me, but do you have a profile pic? It's got quite a pointy top and I'd expect that point to be quite far back.

Is it a welded construction? The pits maybe look like welds that weren't quite as nice as you might like.
Petr Vcelak

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael P. Smith wrote:
Looks pretty decent to me, but do you have a profile pic? It's got quite a pointy top and I'd expect that point to be quite far back.

Is it a welded construction? The pits maybe look like welds that weren't quite as nice as you might like.

Hello, to clarify everything, this helmet was done for me and original piece can be found in museum of art in Philadelphia (accession number 1977-167-53a,b). This reproduction is indeed welded which I know is not historical yet it allows me to stay in my price class. By the way I haven't received the helmet yet so I cannot give you more photos now but I enclose photo of original piece. I see some minor differences of course but I was just interested if my new helmet would get by. To your point with pointy top, it goes straight up/back and at least from this picture I would say that is not far from original, so far.

Attachment: 50.93 KB
Original piece [ Download ]
Ali Zufer

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I cannot see it from enough angles to correctly determine whether it looks good or not, from what I see it looks to be 'meh'.
For further info about why I refer you to this video from a great armor youtuber, Knyght Errant;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ESqlJG3d8

But I would like some more pics from more angles (sides, front with open visor) to determine it correctly.

Correcting misconceptions with misconceptions is not the greatest idea and should seek to be avoided at all costs.
Petr Vcelak

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ali Zufer wrote:
While I cannot see it from enough angles to correctly determine whether it looks good or not, from what I see it looks to be 'meh'.
For further info about why I refer you to this video from a great armor youtuber, Knyght Errant;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ESqlJG3d8

But I would like some more pics from more angles (sides, front with open visor) to determine it correctly.

Hello,

Sorry for such a late reply - I don't check this site very often. I'm of course familiar with Knyght Errant's channel and I've been following his educational videos for quite a long time as he is best youtube content creator concerning armour.

To the helmet - the photos I posted here some time ago were even before I got my helmet, and they were sent to me by armorer who made that helmet for me. To be all honest I was little but dissapointed as well. BUT the helmet in real life looks a lot better and the even sights aren't that big as it looks as well.

You will see it by yourself on photos bellow but I dare to say that the helmet meets all necessary things:
- correct shape of skull - no flat surfaces, when being on head it follows the jaw line.
- verveilles going all the way up above eye level (big number of verveilles).
- aventail covers sides of the face ang goes under the mouth and covers chin.
- visor stays in opened/closed possition and does not open by itself.
- When visor is in down closed position, the side verveilles are hidden under the visor.
- sights 6mm wide (historicall pieces have 4-8mm, so right in the middle).
- breathing holes are positioned just like on the original piece.

So now I can finally provide you with more photos.
Mail aventail, helmet and aventail liners are made by myself.
- mail aventail which is 9mm, flat, all riveted rings (I know could/should be smaller and ideally wedge riveted but this was the best I could go with my budget - still better than combination of solid and riveted rings.
- helmet and aventail liners are made from heavy linen, hand sewn and hand quilted with linen thread.
- aventail is attached to helmet by dyed 3mm leather and leather cord.

Only thing I acknowledge is that helmet could be just a little bit smaller.

Attachment: 45.65 KB
45194052_180711729501237_1927179893326479360_n.jpg
Helmet with lifted visor - it might look like aventail is not covering chin, it was actually was, and I made the liner little it tighter so now even more of the chin is covered and the aventail goes right under the lips.

Attachment: 123.04 KB
liner before attachment [ Download ]

Attachment: 98.63 KB
liner attached [ Download ]

Attachment: 57.37 KB
Helmet visor closed [ Download ]

Attachment: 61.63 KB
Helmet with lifted visor - side view [ Download ]

Attachment: 63.21 KB
more pics [ Download ]
Ed W.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a really nice job, by both the armourer and yourself on the liner. Well done.

Ed.
Petr Vcelak

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed W. wrote:
That's a really nice job, by both the armourer and yourself on the liner. Well done.

Ed.

Hello Ed,
thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I really wanted to get this thing right as for many people they have nice and decent looking armour kit and then it's the helmet (in case of houndskull bascinets) which kind of brings the overall look of armour a few level down.

Petr.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your opinions about this helmet?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic