Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The real Queen of Sweden needs a real sword :-) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: The real Queen of Sweden needs a real sword :-)         Reply with quote

Maybe some of the excellent sword smiths on this forum can help and volunteer their services to the new ”Queen of Sweden” ;-)
https://www.plumfund.com/fundraising/sword-of-saga

Who knows, she might become a new shieldmaiden ...

Cheers and beers!!

Michael

"Its just the laudanum speaking." Stephen Maturin
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... come to think of it, she already has 1900 $, but if she reaches the 5000$ goal, that should get her a real beauty from some of the incredible artisans on this forum, PLUS a great scabbard from Tod ;-)

Any volunteers?

Michael

Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's gone over $2,500 now. Happy
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Oskar Gessler

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool idea.
Did my part.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
It's gone over $2,500 now. Happy

And that's more than doubled in less than a day. Looks like the funds will be there for her when the specifications are fully known.
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

now it says ”5600 given out of 8000 goal” ... wow, anybody know how to contact Peter Johnsson or others of his caliber to offer their services for this? If they reach 8000, that should get them a really (and I mean REALLY) amazing copy of the sword they found, PLUS an amazing scabbard reproduction ... Boy, do I wish I had found that sword ;-)
Michael

J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like they already contacted a Swedish sword expert who quoted $8,000 for an accurate reproduction.

Now who could that be?
Oskar Gessler

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Sounds like they already contacted a Swedish sword expert who quoted $8,000 for an accurate reproduction.

Now who could that be?

Lets hope the forum will get a super interesting thread about the whole project.
First hand information about the original even before the newspapers know. :-)
And then the entire reproduction process.
Yeah. Good times ahead.
Victor R.

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The collection is over $7,900 now, but the goal increased 10%, to $8,800. I wonder if the underlying goal is a functional currency other than USD so that the amount fluctuates with the spot rate. Of course, a 10% overnight increase in the spot rate is a bit much - USD is generally much more stable than that... I checked and $8,800 would be about the average approximate level for 80,000 SEK over the last couple of days. Looks like there might have been a miscalculation for the original goal amount... Either way, it's almost there!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
The collection is over $7,900 now, but the goal increased 10%, to $8,800. I wonder if the underlying goal is a functional currency other than USD so that the amount fluctuates with the spot rate. Of course, a 10% overnight increase in the spot rate is a bit much - USD is generally much more stable than that... I checked and $8,800 would be about the average approximate level for 80,000 SEK over the last couple of days. Looks like there might have been a miscalculation for the original goal amount... Either way, it's almost there!

Well, yes - nobody in Sweden uses USD except for international trading, obviously. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Michael A. H.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... now it is ”8280 given of 10,000 goal” ... funny it keeps going up and up ...
Michael

Victor R.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Victor R. wrote:

Well, yes - nobody in Sweden uses USD except for international trading, obviously. Happy

The comment was more about the impetus of the increase. Given the even numbers and the new increase, it's pretty clear that the site goal is established in USD, not SEK - the USD version of the goal would not vary in amounts rounded to the $100 if the site goal was actually tied to SEK - it would go up or down a few $$ each day in accordance with the spot rate. The person raising the funds (her dad, presumably, who is American) has gone in and reset the goal manually.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If Patrick Barta was making this sword (and scabbard?) how much would he charge? Maybe 5 to 6 thousand euros?
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take a look at the last sentence in the "Sword of Saga" paragraph as an possible explanation for why the goal keeps getting raised.

--ElJay
Victor R.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Take a look at the last sentence in the "Sword of Saga" paragraph as an possible explanation for why the goal keeps getting raised.

--ElJay

Saw that when I noted it had been raised to $10,000. That was also an add-on from the first time I read it.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't mean to sounds cynical; this is an honest and naive question: how can one be sure that these funds will actually be used for the stated purpose?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I don't mean to sounds cynical; this is an honest and naive question: how can one be sure that these funds will actually be used for the stated purpose?

Presumably, Andrew Vanecek is Saga's father or relative, so that at least means the donors are not giving money to some random third-party. However, beyond that, I think people have to trust that Andrew will use the money for the stated cause.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

Presumably, Andrew Vanecek is Saga's father or relative, so that at least means the donors are not giving money to some random third-party. However, beyond that, I think people have to trust that Andrew will use the money for the stated cause.

Right, I didn't connect the last names. Even so, it seems a bit odd to me. Surely finding the original and providing a public service was reward in itself. Why seek further advantage from the situation? But that's just me.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, finding the original is thrilling. However, from the perspective of a child, its can be disappointing to find something so exciting and have to give it away. Assuming that she liked the sword and showed interest in it, I'm glad that her parents are trying to have a high quality reproduction of it made, something she can keep and cherish.

If you were to dig up a medieval sword, would you want to give it away? I don't know about you, but I'd feel a bit crushed having to hand it over.
Hamish C

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone know the legislation in Sweden regarding discovering historical artefacts? Surely there is some sort of compensation if an item is taken by the government, otherwise no one would declare finds?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The real Queen of Sweden needs a real sword :-)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: