Sallets, already in the XIVth century.
Here's some example of helms that seem to be sallets, or at least very close in shape.

These are all from Italy.

From Venice, Palazzo Ducale. Dated circa 1350.
[ Linked Image ]

From Pistoia. Dated 1361-1371.
[ Linked Image ]

From a fresco in Padova, dated 1377.
[ Linked Image ]

From the manuscript BNF Arsenal 593 Speculum Humanae Salvationis, dated 1350-1400 (I'd say around 1370).
[ Linked Image ]

What do you people think? Old news?
Re: Sallets, already in the XIVth century.
Augusto Boer Bront wrote:
Here's some example of helms that seem to be sallets, or at least very close in shape.

These are all from Italy.

From Venice, Palazzo Ducale. Dated circa 1350.
[ Linked Image ]

From Pistoia. Dated 1361-1371.
[ Linked Image ]

From a fresco in Padova, dated 1377.
[ Linked Image ]

From the manuscript BNF Arsenal 593 Speculum Humanae Salvationis, dated 1350-1400 (I'd say around 1370).
[ Linked Image ]

What do you people think? Old news?

I think I wrote the same things some ten years ago about the Pistoia's proto-sallets.

Obviously nothing comes out of nothing, these are probably the intermediate stages of the evolution of the basinet into sallet. As an armorer you might easily guess better than others the passages that may have lead to this evolution, let's say that as a smith you start understanding the possibility to protect the neck of your customer while lowering the top for better fit and balance, with your customer not losing the ability of swiweling the head despite the addition of the rear protection, which ibecomes more and more flared out to better deviate blows

Surely there won't be written records but the images you posted of the ones of Pistoia (there are others from the same altar that shows the same pattern if I remember well) clearly point to an evolution of basinet

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: