Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought this Angus Trim Xa.7 a few months ago. It's a terrific little sword with a 23 inch blade.

Attachment: 99.13 KB
Xa7m9.jpg

Attachment: 99.47 KB
Xa7m10.jpg

Preben B

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooh, not seen this topic before.

Here are a couple I got early this year, Albion Yeoman and Maximillian with tod's stuff transit scabbard..Got a scabbard for the Yeoman as well but not taken pictures of it yet, I probably don't have to say it but I will, both Tod and Albion do absolutely stunning work.

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Preben--If that's a transport scabbard, I'd be PROUD to wear it. Heck of a lot better than my stock scabbards!

Roger--If you ever decide to part ways with that baby, let a swordbrother know! That would be a perfect sword for my little, short wife! Laughing Out Loud

Great looking swords, both of you!.......McM

''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice swords Preben. I once had a Sovereign, those Albion Type XIV's are impressive.

I notice Albion have changed their makers mark.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Preben B

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Nice swords Preben. I once had a Sovereign, those Albion Type XIV's are impressive.

I notice Albion have changed their makers mark.

Thanks, I do love the type XIV, indeed.

And yes they seem to have changed it, my Crecy which is a year older is smaller and doesn't have that darker color inside, I quite like it myself.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pattern-welded Viking sword by Michael Pikula. One of the batch of seven he made last summer. I bought this through Kult of Athena, who did a fantastic job all around. The sword itself is exceptionally well made and gorgeous. It has a wide, beefy blade, and is definitely on the heavier end for something made for a single hand. On par with Albion's Tritonia.

This is my second piece from Michael not counting the run of "little seaxes" he did a while back. His work is amazing and I hope he does more of it.

Attachment: 275.81 KB
Hilt and scabbard [ Download ]

Attachment: 312.83 KB
Blade tip [ Download ]

Attachment: 308.11 KB
Blade detail [ Download ]

Attachment: 319.57 KB
Hilt closeup [ Download ]

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Nicholas Windell

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Albion Vigil, DBM Scabbard         Reply with quote

Here is my latest and favorite... can't say enough wonderful things about the Vigil, especially with the diamond wrapped grip. Thank you to all who gave me input on an older post that helped me to decide on this particular grip choice over the cord wrap. Also, the DBK scabbard is truly fantastic... Brian's work never ceases to amaze and as soon as I saw this scabbard I knew I needed to purchase this sword.

Attachment: 404.9 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 478.15 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 315.03 KB
[ Download ]
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin has a fairly new model out - DT7167, a late 16th century Hungarian sabre. It is described at Del Tin's website and also at KOA as a late 15th century piece, but that is surely a typo - the 16 in DT7167 indicates that Del Tin considers it 16th century. Mine has been customized by Jimbo Curry. He took off the gray Del Tin finish, wrapped the grip with red-dyed rayskin, and incised decorations on the langets,grip and pommel.

Almost all modern made sabres are inferior to the originals, but this one is pretty good. It has an overall distal taper of 67% with thinning all the way down the blade. It balances more than 6 inches down the blade, but I believe that is fine for a sabre.

Here is a link to its entry at KOA. . - http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DT7167

Attachment: 100.43 KB
DT7167c.jpg

Attachment: 97.5 KB
DT7167f.jpg

Attachment: 98.87 KB
DT7167g.jpg

Attachment: 99.36 KB
DT7167j.jpg

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sabre is very nice.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ulf Lidsman

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Albion Clontarf

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Del Tin has a fairly new model out - DT7167, a late 16th century Hungarian sabre. It is described at Del Tin's website and also at KOA as a late 15th century piece, but that is surely a typo - the 16 in DT7167 indicates that Del Tin considers it 16th century. Mine has been customized by Jimbo Curry. He took off the gray Del Tin finish, wrapped the grip with red-dyed rayskin, and incised decorations on the langets,grip and pommel.

Roger,
Nice piece with great upgrades. Happy Congrats! It's nice seeing good production pieces dressed up and made really unique.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Pikula Anglo Saxon Sword         Reply with quote

This one should look familiar if you've been lurking on these forums for a while, although it's had a grip upgrade since it appeared on myArmoury. I thought that I'd missed the boat on Michael Pikula's clean, monosteel viking-age swords, so was thrilled to pick up one of my favorites second hand. I love the broad, thin blade, fine tooling on the Cawood-style pommel, and opposing hemispheric upper and lower guards.Guess I'm a sucker for that 'hemi' geometry & American muscle. Wink

Attachment: 115.11 KB
Hemi pommel 2.jpg

Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford--

I know Michael Pikula, but have never seen hide nor hair of that piece! Can you post full length or in hand shots for scale, and maybe some rough stats or thought on the piece?

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks spectacular J.D.! I would be worried that the cars hood would damage the finish on that beautiful Pikula!! By chance could you post some specifications on the sword? I'd love to know more about the Mopar as well!

Congratulations on two beauties in the picture. I would love to add another piece by Michael if one becomes available when I have funds, hardest part of the whole thing!

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen.

Here's a post from 2012 with stats and pictures with the original grip: https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=240152

The picture below shows it next to my Albion Huskarl, which gives a notion of the massive width of this blade. Despite that width, it comes in similar in weight and handling to the Huskarl, due to a very thin, flexible blade with considerable distal taper. I'd estimate 4mm at the base running down to less than 2mm near the tip, perhaps 1.5mm by eye. In fact the rounded guards these Anglo-Saxon types make them more comfortable to wield in my hands. Think of an oversized Albion Thegn.

I also have to give Michael credit for doing such a clean job on the fuller. From what I've seen, these wide shallow fullers must be tough to pull off compared to narrow fullers.

Now the car, that's a bit off topic, but in short its a Dodge Challenger R/T with 5.7L/345CI V8 Hemi, 375hp. Supposedly does 60mph in 5.1s. Much like my favorite swords, its not light or agile, but handles well enough and has lots of power.

I know, I'm a lucky guy.

Attachment: 95.29 KB
pikula vs. huskarl.jpg

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are indeed a lucky man J.D.! A very impressive sword that looks nice and large next to the Huskarl, which is not a narrow sword at all at roughly 55 mm wide.

Thank you for posting the link to the original post about the sword as well!

Michael Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Semi-custom Stephan Lockwood...

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking Michael. I have looked at Stephan's work before and have liked what I have seen. What did you have him do in the way of customization and which model did it start as?

Please post a review as well as measurements when you can!

Michael Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Very nice looking Michael. I have looked at Stephan's work before and have liked what I have seen. What did you have him do in the way of customization and which model did it start as?

Please post a review as well as measurements when you can!

The blade is a Type XVIa from his SL1004, mounted with a 'scent stopper' pommel and a simple cross guard with nice accents at each end. Mr. Lockwood also elongated the grip to 8 3/4" (or 10 3/4" including the pommel) to better mirror the geometry of my blunt trainer.

Overall I’ve been very pleased. The sword itself is surprisingly light and very lively in my hands with a stiff yet flexible blade. I haven't had a chance to cut with it yet as I’ve spent most of the summer in the field for training exercises. My only criticisms are I do prefer a slightly beefier grip, but that is most likely a product of what I'm used to on my Albion Liechtenauer than anything else, and the peen could have been smoother. But these are really minor points overall and won't stop me from ordering another Lockwood sword. Chances are high that he'll be hearing from me again.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That thing is pretty darn nice looking. Was the wait time normal and did you pay much of a fee for having him do a non-standard design?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 69 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: