Need advice on 14th Century hauberk project
Hi guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I finally decided to post because I've started the construction of (what I hope to be) a reasonably accurate early to mid 14th century Western European man-at-arms kit. About a year and a half ago I started dabbling in mail making as well as sewing. Once I started to get some basic techniques down I decided to start a kit project. I've been simultaneously working on a gambeson and hauberk. I figure those two pieces will be the heart of the kit, and I can always decide later about choice of head protection and supplemental bits of plate.

I'm closing in on the point where I need to decide about sleeve attachment on my hauberk. I've seen contemporary hauberks where the sleeve grain (4 in 1) is attached at a right angle to the body of the mail. I've also seen other sources where the grain of the mail body continues down the sleeve. I know its better from a defensive standpoint for the grain to hang together loose and close, rather than open and taut. For the latter reason I was considering attaching the sleeves at 90 degrees to the body. I've also seen what are touted as historically accurate reproductions with a continuous grain of mail from the body to the sleeve.

What do you guys think? I would love to hear some of your opinions on the matter. Thanks!

-Will
The norm for extant European mail shirts is to continue the roes of the body down the length of the sleeves, while joining the rows beneath the arm pit at a 90 degree angle.

Attachment: 317.44 KB
Wallace Collection A1, left arm pit [ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: