Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who makes an accurate 14thc buckler? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Who makes an accurate 14thc buckler?         Reply with quote

Reconnecting to the hobby after a long absence and I am putting together a display of my Albion Prince. I'd like a nice, accurate 14th c. buckler to display with it. Anyone know who makes a good one? I can find ones with a tubular steel grip all day, and thought I'd ask here before plunking down some cash.
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: No Suggestions?         Reply with quote

Are they all junk?
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Smith,

I'm not aware that anybody reproduces a fourteenth-century buckler as a standard item. The originals with which I'm familiar (many of which have been discussed on this forum) tend to be either complicated in construction, made of materials that would put off most modern purchasers, or both. Most commercial products seem to be closest in style to sixteenth-century examples if they make any attempt at historical accuracy.

I'm sure you could get a very accurate one made as a custom item. A good choice for that might be Arms & Armor in Minneapolis, but I'm sure that there are many other craftspeople who could do it.

I hope this proves helpful.

Best,

Mark Millman
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one from Crescent Moon Armory, second hand, very good quality. They have nice customs and also stock models.

http://www.crescentmoonarmoury.net/Crescent_M...ields.html
http://www.crescentmoonarmoury.net/Crescent_M...ields.html

What's your budget and use? Only display?
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guy!

While I intend it's primary use to be display, I want it as accurate as I can get it (within reason.... I am willing to accept modern steel, for example). I want to avoid obvious anachronisms like spun steel or tubular steel handles. I am familiar with some period examples, but Mark suggested, most commercial offerings seem to be oriented towards later style. My budget is reasonable... but not unlimited. (Say... a couple hundred). Those Crescent Moon examples look promising.... I'll take a look!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The offerings from Crescent Moon are very nice for the money. If you had a particular period example you wanted to reproduce, I'm sure they could manage it. Bucklers aren't that hard to make.

A few years ago, I made a buckler inspired by the half conserved 14thC example in the Museum of London. It was an enormous amount of work, primarily due to tinning the surface as was done in period. There is no way I would do that again. ;-)

This is one of the "in progress shots." Its too large to import here, so I hope this link will work.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPISTmn_n01iclcnu_7aM-MKLxBSoGKCqg7oAsuv9Y4Z0arZ2H0CXceZ-2MxMt0Kw?key=UFJraEctVGxRalZFN2I3c2NXZ3NnSEstQm8wWFpR
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
The offerings from Crescent Moon are very nice for the money. If you had a particular period example you wanted to reproduce, I'm sure they could manage it. Bucklers aren't that hard to make.

A few years ago, I made a buckler inspired by the half conserved 14thC example in the Museum of London. It was an enormous amount of work, primarily due to tinning the surface as was done in period. There is no way I would do that again. ;-)

This is one of the "in progress shots." Its too large to import here, so I hope this link will work.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPISTmn_n01iclcnu_7aM-MKLxBSoGKCqg7oAsuv9Y4Z0arZ2H0CXceZ-2MxMt0Kw?key=UFJraEctVGxRalZFN2I3c2NXZ3NnSEstQm8wWFpR

WOW! That's incredible. That's the one I encounter most frequently when looking for 14th c. examples. Too bad it's so much work! The other one I've seen referenced as attributed to the 14th c. is the Dordrecht find. Here's a drawing, though I do not know its provenance.

Attachment: 93.2 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who makes an accurate 14thc buckler?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic